Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aleksz

Yuki Abe

kaebi was a boy, abe is an experienced pro, they come from completely different cultures - please can people stop comparing the two...

if it happens for abe it happens, but please people, stop lumping every signing from east of the Aegean in the same box :banghead:

someone in front of me on Saturday said 'when is that chink gonna get his first game?'

SOCCER

Abe says he's living a dream in Leicester

Friday 17th September, 04:05 PM JST

LONDON —

New Leicester City midfielder Yuki Abe said on Thursday he has realized a ''dream'' by making his debut for the English Championship side.

''I watched English football all the time in Japan, and it's always been a dream of mine to play here,'' Abe said, two days after debuting for the Foxes at home against Cardiff City.

The former Urawa Reds man played the last eight minutes off the bench as Paulo Souza's side took three points off second-place Cardiff in a 2-1 victory.

The 29-year-old Abe played in all four of Japan's games at the World Cup in South Africa as Takeshi Okada's side reached the second round before exiting on penalties against Paraguay.

Abe is the fifth player from the World Cup squad to have transferred to Europe following the tournament, after goalkeeper Eiji Kawashima (Lierse SK), defenders Yuto Nagatomo (Cesena) and Atsuto Uchida (Schalke 04) and forward Kisho Yano (Freiburg).

Abe, an Asian Champions League winner in 2007 with the Reds, will receive one of his stiffest tests of the season on Saturday as Leicester host Championship leaders Queens Park Rangers.

Leicester are currently fifth from bottom in the 24-team Championship.

''The goal for this team is crystal clear,'' Abe said of Leicester's potential return to the Premiership in seven years. ''I just have to sacrifice myself for the team so we can achieve it.''

I'm assuming something got lost in the translation, mind it probably will take that long!

Leicester City new boy Yuki Abe brushes up on his history

1781124-vlarge.jpg

New Leicester City signing Yuki Abe has admitted he checked out the club's credentials on the internet before agreeing to join the club.

The 29-year-old midfielder said it had always been his dream to play in England and when he heard of City's interest, and read online about the club's history, he knew it was the right move.

The Japanese international has signed a three-year deal after joining from J League side Urawa Red Diamonds for an undisclosed fee, and said he is relishing the challenging of playing in the Championship.

"The football here is very popular in Japan and I have watched it for a long time so it has always been my dream to play here," said Abe, who made his debut as a substitute in Tuesday night's 2-1 win over Cardiff City.

"When I heard of the club's interest I went on the internet and found out about the big names that had played for the club such as Emile Heskey, and about the club's history.

"When I found out that Paulo Sousa was the manager then I also wanted to come because he was a great player and I think he is a great manager too. I watched him as a child and I always admired him.

"I like to have a challenge in my life and this is a challenge I am ready for."

City boss Sousa said he first spotted Abe playing for the Japan team at the 2004 Olympics in Athens. He said: "After the European Championships in Portugal, I went there to watch games and I spotted Yuki," he said.

"When I heard we had the opportunity to sign him, then I fought for it because he brings a lot of quality and energy.

"He has all the qualities to help us improve our squad and to help us to achieve what we want to achieve – promotion.

"The owners have given me the opportunity to have such a good player in my squad and we need to make the most of it.

"He has been a captain for eight years and shows leadership skills. He is determined to learn the language so he can communicate much better but already in training he has shown he can communicate with his team-mates."

Chief executive Lee Hoos said City had fought off competition to capture Abe, who has been capped 49 times by his country.

"This is a big occasion for the club and I feel we have pulled off a coup by signing a highly- regarded international player," he said.

"We had a bit of competition but he buys into the dream that the club has and he is very much into our manager and the style of football, and he will be a fantastic addition."

Merc

That first article is a bit odd, especially the idea that Abe needs to sacrifice himself for the club to win promotion. The 'seven years' is presumably a reference to the fact that we last dropped out of the premier league in 2004, so a return in 2011 would imply a seven year absence.

The Merc article is interesting, especially for the Sousa quotes. Several people suggested this was a backroom signing, perhaps with one eye on the Asian "market" for replica kit and advertising, but if Sousa has been tracking the boy Abe since 2004 then it seems more of a front office signing than we at first thought.

He seemed pretty comfortable on the ball on Tuesday night, once someone was prepared to pass it to him. Can't tell a lot from eight minutes, though.

There's an amusing moment in the "Player" interview

Interviewer: Who were your heroes in football when you were growing up?

Yuki: Paul Scholes

Interviewer: Paulo Sousa?

Yuki: (shits himself) Ah Paulo Sousa! (pause) Of course! :giggle:

Apart from that, he looks very relaxed...

The Merc article is interesting, especially for the Sousa quotes. Several people suggested this was a backroom signing, perhaps with one eye on the Asian "market" for replica kit and advertising, but if Sousa has been tracking the boy Abe since 2004 then it seems more of a front office signing than we at first thought.

It looked to me like the Thais wanted him and Sousa was scrambling to remember a time he'd seen him play :D

Archived