Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Watching files from portable HD

Hiys folks,

Ive got a whole lot of files (movies, tv, etc) on a portable 1tb hard drive. I would like to watch these on the TV, without having to go through my laptop etc... whats the easiest/best/most cost effective way?

Heard you can run them through PS3 but they cost a shedload... so perhaps a cheap little media centre of eBay.... anyway.. appreciate your thoughts.

edit.... just having a look at Hard disk recorders/freeview boxes (eg, Samsung DVD-SH895M 250GB Hard Drive DVD Recorder)..... are these sort of things usable?

Im no expert, but can't you plug your harddisk into a USB port on a dvd player? (Some have them, some dont)

I usually watch my files over the PS3 by plugging my harddisk into the usb port on the ps3, which works perfectly. Im not sure if you can do the same on a DVD player, but I would think you can? But as previously stated, i am no expert :)

Hope you find a solution!

Im no expert, but can't you plug your harddisk into a USB port on a dvd player? (Some have them, some dont)

I usually watch my files over the PS3 by plugging my harddisk into the usb port on the ps3, which works perfectly. Im not sure if you can do the same on a DVD player, but I would think you can? But as previously stated, i am no expert :)

Cheers, that was what i was thinking.. I dont have a dvd player so dunno :)

I tried to do this with a dvd player and it didnt work for me. I think you can plug a small memory stick in(say 2Gb?) and watch them through that but that would be a massive ballache!

What ive done is bought a small media player from pc world for around £60. Its a belkin one and you just plug yr hard drive into it via usb, then plug the media player into yr tv through the HDMI port and bobs yr uncle, brings up all of yr films/music/photo come up in the menu.

There is a downside to the obe i bought tho, you cant search through for a film you want to watch-it alphabetises them so you have to scroll through until you find it! Which is rubbish if you have over 800 films on there!!

There is something else out that is a built in 1tb hardrive AND media player. I will try and find it and post the link up for you mate.

Cyclone 2

I think this is what you are after mate. Thats a proper bargain aswell considering the size of the hard drive in it!

Sadly, although new.. the TV doesnt have a USB :(

I looked at the 1TB thing and was interested... i then decided to take the cheap simple option and give this a try first.

Thanks for the ideas.

must admit nbox looks cool , at the moment i put any films or tv ive downloaded on a data disk and watch it through my xbox at the moment

Archived