Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

I have a big problem

So I have this big problem.

I have Windows 7 on my external drive which I tried to boot up and use by going into the bios and selecting that as the first boot device. That did not work.

Now, when I turn my PC on (to try and get into XP) a message comes on reading:

"Choose an operating system to start:

Windows 7

Microsoft Windows Recovery Console"

What the hell has happened, I cant get into XP now and have lost everything if I can't fix this problem. I went into bios and reseted the first boot device to my hard drive but this problem still goes on.

I don't think I can get XP back now.

Any help is a big help.

Thanks,

is the external drive still attached?

try loading windows 7, when that choose OS to start message comes up, if it loads you should be able to access the hard drive through what used to be "my computer" (not sure what it's called on Windows 7) but you should have a list of drives connected to the pc through which you can access the files on the drives connected.

is the external drive still attached?

try loading windows 7, when that choose OS to start message comes up, if it loads you should be able to access the hard drive through what used to be "my computer" (not sure what it's called on Windows 7) but you should have a list of drives connected to the pc through which you can access the files on the drives connected.

Yes it still attached.

I tried to load windows 7 via that message but another error comes up which I fix. But then, it gets stuck on the loading part of Windows 7, restarts the PC and starts this process all over again!

sounds like a similar problem i had last year. the bootstrap of the hard drive had become corrupted and it couldn't load up. Fixed it by piggybacking another hard drive so it booted the OS from that hard drive but kept all stuff on the old hard drive available as well as whatever memory space was on the old one. Not sure if that will help.

edit: this website explains how to piggyback the drives if you want to.

I dont think my hard drive is corrupt - well I hope not.

My external is now booting Windows 7 startup repair which states I have over an hour to wait while it attempts to fix any errors.

The problem is out of hand and doing my head in so I am installing XP again now because I'm fed up.

Good job I backed up my pictures, but I'll have to import all my music again and install everything again because I think I'll looose everything?

I got fed up with it and although I didn't back up any data apart from my pictures before the crisis, I just deleted the partition and started over. So it's back to it's normal self now :D

Archived