Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sdb

Championship/Football Manager Memories

Having been a little underwhelmed with the new version, i took an online trip down memory lane. This article has some great recollections, got me a little misty eyed to be honest!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2009/nov/05/championship-football-manager-memories

I've spent literally years on the game/s, i'm ashamed to say. CM2 was my first - Glasgow Rangers, with a Brazilian striker Tulio banging in the goals before a fairly poor 2nd season.

Most of my time has been spent on CM01/02 and FM08, both outstanding games. Best CM01/02 experience was a 2 player game with my mate one summer. We were both completely obsessed with the game, he spent 3 weeks at my house! Every day we'd get up about 10, and play until 2/3am, with a quick pot noodle for lunch (there was nothing sexual going on btw)...

He was Leeds, I was Arsenal. He won the CL one season with an outstanding display from David Batty in the heart of defence in the final (almost all his squad were away on international duty) - i think it was 1-0 or maybe penalties. Another season with the two of us going for the title (but me leading him and another club) nd set to meet each other in the FA cup final, we decided he'd take the cup and me the league. All very hush hush until today. As the game went on it went from simply winning to battling each other for the services of any half decent youngsters. It was a great summer!!

FM08, undoubtbley my highlight was managing Athletico Madrid into the 2040's. Started at Arsenal, did OK but fancied a change. Around 2011/12 i arrived at underachieving Athletico. Decent squad, bit of money - dream job with not too much expectations. Signed a young French striker called Frank Fernandes. Him + Aguero = the rest is history. Won everything, building up an almost unbeatable squad full of computer generated players. I pretty much monopolised the football world!! My coaching staff consisted of Heskey, Carrick, Huddlestone, Emerson to name but a few. Estimated value reached 2.2BILLION until the club was taken over by a former player I never used much. Amazing times. No coincidence that i was in a relationship when i bought the game (in Morrisons by the Walkers amazingly!!) and now i'm not (altho i've not played the game for 6 months or so).

Anyway, i'm getting carried away, i'd love to hear your stories. Surely other people on here have lost their life to the game???

interesting. somewhat limiting though i'd have thought??

any emotional/inspiring stories to tell from Ibrox??

Won the title 3 years on the trot ans lost to Man Utd in the final of the champions league. Dado Prso :wub:

NB: I do have Rangers close to my heart which made the game even better

Taking things north of the boarder has reminded me of another sensational story (sounds like i'm making these up...tbh i wish i was)

Can't recall who i was but had to beat Celtic (away) by 5 goals to progress in the CL. Went 1-0 down early on and the whole thing seemed Mission Impossible.

...won 1-6!! :wub:

i didn't always win obviously. and didn't take losing too well either. lowest point was spitting at my computer. :thumbdown: (i was young)

Had decent games with Exeter, Roma, Oxford, a few network games too, but my best two were my 'main' saves on FM 07 and 08, both with Leicester, on the 08 one I've won the Prem 3 out of the last 4 seasons and last season won the Champions League for the first time, having finished runners up the previous year, only made a net spending of £20millionish too :wub:

As mentioned in the FM 11 thread, about ten, twelve years ago, I used to play a German football manager called "Anstoss! 2 Gold" for ages.

33ae0w2.jpg

Anstoss-2.jpg

007av.png

It was one of the most addictive simulations you could get. Maybe not too impressive on the graphical side, but it had it all:

- An immense database (no original names, though - editing them all took weeks, but it was well worth it in the end)

- A user-friendly interface

- Easily accessible

- Matchday simulations were great - it would simulate the other games in your league simultaneously whilst yours was on

It's a shame the series no longer exists.

I think with the years, they wanted to implement too many new and fancy features and ended up with tons of bugs, which rendered the game almost unplayable and took away so much of the initial fun factor.

Up to this day, I'm waiting for it to re-appear as a Mac version.:(

Looks a bit like Total Club Manager.

AlineacionRealMadrid.jpg

I played that a bit before hopping on the FM bandwagon with 2006. It was shit, to be fair.

I can imagine TCM having been shit like Anstoss! 3 or 4. Unplayable, full of bugs and the likes.

Also, it looks to me as if TCM actually took most elements blatantly off Ascaron's title, which was about 7 years earlier on the market.

I still play FM07. Bought FM08 on release day, but was underwhelmed by it and have decided, that as long as 07 provide so much fun, I'll just stay with that for now. Best and most memorable game has been winning the Prem as Leicester with the lethal front duo of Scott Sinclair and Luke Varney! Currently 3 seasons in as Leicester and are consolidating ourselves in the Prem with the star men being Stefan Kiessling and Kristofer Hæstad. Best part of FM07 is, that targetmen rule the earth.

I can imagine TCM having been shit like Anstoss! 3 or 4. Unplayable, full of bugs and the likes.

Also, it looks to me as if TCM actually took most elements blatantly off Ascaron's title, which was about 7 years earlier on the market.

Given that Total Club Manager is an EA title it wouldn't surprise me if they bought someone like Anstoss out and built their engine on top of that.

TCM was shit anyway. Not 'cos of bugs but just because it had all the depth of... well... your usual EA title. It had a 3D match engine years before FM but it was just a massive bag of wank.

It had an almost RPG like way of developing players as well. Very weird.

There were a series of football manger games called "On The Ball" released in the UK which was made by Ascaron I think. Similar format

Can't remember which CM it was but I always started signing Andri Sigþórsson for something ridiculous like 30k and raiding Sweden for their young talents (Hammerby I think - Kennedy Bakirciuglu was a must buy)

Kim Kallstrom from Hacken?

Ranger Manager?! what was that??!

Forgot to mention Serge Makofo on Cm4 (poor game - too many bugs). He was amazing. Took him with me from Leic to celtic to Barca

He was quality when I had him in my City side as a striker, only problem was every time you started a new game he played in a different position. lol

Had decent games with Exeter, Roma, Oxford, a few network games too, but my best two were my 'main' saves on FM 07 and 08, both with Leicester, on the 08 one I've won the Prem 3 out of the last 4 seasons and last season won the Champions League for the first time, having finished runners up the previous year, only made a net spending of £20millionish too :wub:

Our 08 ng's used to be awesome. I miss them.

He was quality when I had him in my City side as a striker, only problem was every time you started a new game he played in a different position. lol

lol yeah he was a RB in the game i mentioned. still banged in a few

Was still playing a patched CM01/02 up until recently, still the most enjoyable incarnation of the game by far for me.

Had an epic 25 season game encompassing 8 years at Leicester (won 4 Premier League titles and 2 Champions Leagues), through to Serie C1 side Carrarese (Won about 8 successive league titles and 2 Champions Leagues, whilst also building the most talented side I've probably ever done playing CM) and finally taking Tamworth through the leagues to more Premier League titles and ultimately, a Champions League triumph after 4 years of trying. Tempted to go back to that game now!

Archived