Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sdb

Championship/Football Manager Memories

Making it to the Champions League final 2 years in a row and facing Valencia both years. Both games went to penalties and Reina saved pretty much every penalty my team took.

Still yet to win the CL on an FM game, mainly because I don't like playing as big teams but still.

Can't remember which CM it was but I always started signing Andri Sigþórsson for something ridiculous like 30k and raiding Sweden for their young talents (Hammerby I think - Kennedy Bakirciuglu was a must buy)

think it could have been CM 00/01, that game is so great, i still have it on my laptop.

So many brilliant players I always remember Ibrahimovic being at Malmo, u could sometimes get him from 250k to £3mil but his always worth it.

one of my fav games of all time :scarf:

hmmm. FM 08 was a good game, ended up getting messed around by it though, Got city up then took them to the top of the prem by christmas (winning at home to man u & tottenham, away to arsenal, drawing with chelsea and liverpool) - then major computer issues resulted in the save file becoming corrupted :mad: . started again last night.

I remember when CM4 came out. Me and my mates used to write down formations and the best team out of our squads in the back of our maths books.

Those were the days lol

Although my first CM/FM game was CM 97/98. Great fun playing a joint game with my younger brother.

• 4 weeks later...

FM 08 was the last football manager i really loved.

Taking Aldershot from the Blue Square to the Championship was immense. I just can't get into it as much anymore, and don;t think i could ever play one saved game for so long again :(

i did the same on football manager 2008 but i took droylsden to the championship :scarf: i got 2 season 2031 :) no joke

• 1 year later...

I haven't played FM for a year now, but I still think about starting a new game, even though I know it'll take over my life. Instead, I'll just write a bit about what made it so addictive and then go and do something productive.

I nearly always managed Leicester when I first started playing FM, but then I found turning them into world giants wasn't challenging enough, so I tried building up a club from the lowest possible division, usually Hinckley in the Blue Square North. It's much more of a challenge turning a non-league club into a Champions League contender, but it's far more satisfying.

I loved arriving at a new club and organising everything I could before proceeding even once. I'd see if I could hire better non-playing staff, make sure the scouts were working as hard as possible, sort out all the tactics, sort out all the training (creating position specific regimes and organising coaches roles), see if any players should be sold, bid for any players if possible, etc. and then proceed. I loved finding the best scouts I could sign and making them constantly search as far as possible. I'd keep checking the player search list for any gems they might dig up and get all excited if they found a bargain who other clubs had overlooked. I loved collecting loads of players for the youth and reserve teams who might one day get in the first team. I loved slashing the wage bill whilst still improving the playing squad. I loved building up the clubs finances by milking each transfer out for every penny and finding all the best frees or cheap players, or the cheapest of all the best players.

Although I nearly always managed Leicester or Hinckley, the two saves that I remember most were at other clubs. Once, I got sacked and took the vacancy at struggling Championship side Norwich. The squad was a mess - lots of over-the-hill has-beens on massive PL wages and really long contracts. I remember it being so satisfying trying to force them all out the club and finding good young replacements. The best one was a young CM from Arsenal who cost £1m who had bags of potential. He soon became the club's best player. I soon got the team performing and made the finances a lot healthier. Not sure why this save sticks out. Maybe because there were so many obvious ways to improve the squad and sort out the finances when I first arrived.

The other save I remember well was getting sacked by Leicester and taking over at Newcastle. They were doing all right in the PL, but I led them to the PL title in less than a whole season. They had quite a small squad, with only one player who could play left midfield, and even he was really a DMC (DM LRC, I think). I just couldn't find another LM, even as backup, who was good enough and who we could afford, all season. In one match. I was forced to pick a striker who was about 4th choice, and he played a blinder. He stayed in the first team while my 1st and 2nd choice strikers were injured/suspended and he just couldn't stop scoring. Carl Rook, I think. His stats were pretty rubbish, he was in his late 20s, been a reserve player for most his career and he'd never played for his country before, but he finished the season with 40-something goals and a place in the England squad. I'd found an average backup player who turned into a PL goal machine. Again, I'm not sure why this save sticks out in my mind. I don't think I made any signings - I just sorted out an average mid-table side and quickly made them champions.

Anyway, I'm sure this has been a boring read, but it was more for me than anyone else. Cheap therapy. If there's not already an FM Anonymous, there really should be. I'm banning myself from FM until I reach 60.

Archived