Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jackirius

Barnsley Post Match

Despite getting back two hours later than scheduled, I still had a fantastic day. We were superb for 90 minutes, dominated most of the game and thoroughly merited our victory. We showed our intentions from the off, taking a deserved lead through Vitor and creating plenty of other opportunities, including a disallowed goal. Barnsley offered little first half threat save for one volley wide.

Started the second half in positive fashion as well, although Barnsley went close with a low shot that Weale saved and a tremendous effort that hit the bar. But we continued to probe and press and got the crucial second goal, Gallagher sending across a fabulous ball for Kingy's to slot in. Howard should've added a third in injury time to complete the game but it didn't take anything away from our performance.

Also, the fans today were excellent. Loud vocal backing, good numbers and near me there was little moaning and complaining, mainly support for the team.

Great day.

I'm loving Sven....he's changed everything, the belief is back and with that the form. We're looking like real promotion contenders now, we surely have the best defence in the championship now. Vitor and Abe were class today. King would be one of the top scores in the division had he not had so many goals disallowed. When I talk about Leicester to my mates at College the smile is on back on my face again, still I live in London so I doubt they care much. Team rating 9/10, still need more goals though. One happy fox :) :) :)

Excellent day today, thoroughly enjoyed it even though it took us an hour to get out of Barnsley.

Very solid first half, slightly shakey second but pretty much man for man we did what we needed to. Having a spell on the back foot is usually inevitable when you're away from home. Vassell looked promising, touches of class but a it of time is needed to get him to full match sharpness, which is understandable.

Quality fans and a quality atmosphere, was stood a row or 2 back from the front of the 'standers', in front of some guys with a quality Joy Division Lloyd Dyer song! Some very funny moments, best of all seeing that fat Barnsley fan get chucked out about 10 minutes in.

How'd Vassell look people?

0,,10274%7E9178733,00.jpg

He started a bit slow, but that's something that had to be expected - having played his last competitive game half a year ago.

Also, right winger is not his natural position, but he adapted to the role real good.

The longer the game progressed, the more he found into it.

Showed his former class here and there. Not the quickest (yet), but his touch of the ball is rather phenomenal.

Still a bit away from being completely fit, but Vassell has the potential to develop into a proper (re-)find.

Looking forward to seeing him play twice next week - he'll only get better.

First of all, south yorkshire police and barnsleys stewards - idiots. Oversold tickets and didn't want to open more of the ground (move that black cloth across to allow access to more seats).

So as the ground started to fill up, we asked the stewards to move it to allow us to move, they wasn't having it, so we moved it across ourselves, then, they had about 100+ fans trapped on the stairs, where's the health and safety now !

Anyway, weale didn't have a lot to do, but looked solid, the defence were immense, vitor and davies look top notch, abe king and wellens worked well in the middle.

Vasell, class touch, skilfull, always wanted the ball, can see him being a very decent signing

Guest MarshallForEngland

Definitely agree about the stewards. The coppers made the right decision eventually but it was really badly handled. There was one or two stewards actually physically standing in front of the people and pushing them back down the stairs. And for what? The rest of the stand was quite literally empty and is not joined on to the Barnsley end. Ridiculous.

First of all, south yorkshire police and barnsleys stewards - idiots. Oversold tickets and didn't want to open more of the ground (move that black cloth across to allow access to more seats).

So as the ground started to fill up, we asked the stewards to move it to allow us to move, they wasn't having it, so we moved it across ourselves, then, they had about 100+ fans

trapped on the stairs, where's the health and safety now !

Anyway, weale didn't have a lot to do, but looked solid, the defence were immense, vitor and davies look top notch, abe king and wellens worked well in the middle.

Vasell, class touch, skilfull, always wanted the ball, can see him being a very decent signing

Yeah agree with the top bit. How more of the stand wasn't open was very poor. We barreled in at 5 to 3 and literally had nowhere to go but stand on the stairs barely halfway up. Looking back, celebrating the goals as much fun as they were really wasn't safe at all, and I don't think I've ever said that before.

Still decent day, paying for it now though having lost my flat keys celebrating the 1st and my mate snapped his bankcard in the 2nd. On the sofa till tomorrow and facing a £120 bill. Probably still worth it.

We controlled the game from the start yesterday , and once again the travelling foxes were non stop singing, amazing atmosphere created by us, as there were only about 10000 barnsley fans, terrible support......

Suprosed to learn were the first team not to concede at oakwell though as they never looked like scoring :lei1::scarf:

So as the ground started to fill up, we asked the stewards to move it to allow us to move, they wasn't having it, so we moved it across ourselves, then, they had about 100+ fans trapped on the stairs, where's the health and safety now !

I agree with this quote we were about 5/6 rows from the back and people were rammed in the stairs next to us all the way down was over crowded, funnies thing ever when we scored second everyone fell over on the stairs was just arms and legs all over the place but funny as fook....... :appl::appl::appl:

Definitely agree about the stewards. The coppers made the right decision eventually but it was really badly handled. There was one or two stewards actually physically standing in front of the people and pushing them back down the stairs. And for what? The rest of the stand was quite literally empty and is not joined on to the Barnsley end. Ridiculous.

Its clear that the rozzers up there have learned very little since Hillsborough.

We controlled the game from the start yesterday , and once again the travelling foxes were non stop singing, amazing atmosphere created by us, as there were only about 10000 barnsley fans, terrible support......

Suprosed to learn were the first team not to concede at oakwell though as they never looked like scoring :lei1::scarf:

Never looked like scoring? There was a short passage where I wondered how the ball didn't go into our net with several chances being carved out in quick succession and one fearsome shot hitting the woodwork with Weale helpless. Their left winger too became extremely dangerous during this time. delivering some really testing balls into the box. And whenever we failed to close down quickly - as happened during the spell referred too - Barnsley looked well capable of scoring and causing havoc.

Yes, we were the better side and played exceptionally well at times. But this was a far better performance than against the likes of Hull, S****horpe and Preston because Barnsley were far more dangerous and took more effgort and concentration to keep subdued, particularly in the second half.

Superb away day all round.

Top quality beering before the game, and top quality bant after it as well.

The game itself was quality, thought we completely dominated in the first half and probably should've been 2 or 3 up; you just got the feeling that Barnsley were so shit there'd be no way we would hang on to 1-0 and beat them. They came out a little brighter after half time seeing as for about 15 minutes they pressed us more, but they faded badly again and aside from that absolute PING off the underside of the bar and a couple of pinball situations in the box, they offered nothing. How they're not relegation candidates on that showing I'll never know.

Take nothing away from us though, we were good, controlled and composed throughout and looked threatening every time we went forward, which was a completely refreshing sight after my last awayer (Portsmouth) and my last trip to Oakwell (Barnsley 1-0 last season). Standout players for me were Naughton, Abe and Wellens. All 3 were superb and barely put a foot wrong all game.

Just want to echo the thoughts of a couple of others about the stewarding yesterday.. Although they did exactly as I'd want from stewards - leaving us to it and causing no grief - they basically had no choice as there was precious little room to move and it'd have been next to impossible to get onto any of the rows owing to how packed the stairs were. You got the feeling celebrating a goal could've been disastrous and the first so very nearly was: not sure who the bright-spark was bringing his young kid up the stairs when we had an attacking freekick, but we scored from it and that kid is so, so lucky he didn't get completely crushed or thrown down the stairs. Were it not for Ched and Tommeh, he'd probably have ended up in hospital without doubt; the fear in his face was horrible.

2nd goal celebrations were ****ing unbelievable and everything you'd want from a goal celebration, but it could so easily have turned nasty seeing as we pretty much all ended up on the floor on the stairs with others jumping around and over you at some point.

Top awayer but lessons in stewarding need to be learned from higher away followings.

EDIT: How I forgot to mention King and his tireless running I'll never know. The guy's actually a hero and always a willing outlet and option, brilliant stuff. Also, everything I said about Vitor against Portsmouth I take back on yesterday's showing. He's so composed on the ball and seems pretty pacey, gives the impression of complete control as Tunchev did pre-injury. Can understand why he's highly regarded at Benfica. Still struggled a little in the air I felt, but it didn't matter because his reactions and presence meant he mopped up every 2nd ball before the striker knew where it was.

It isn't worth complaining as nothing will be done about it, all that will happen is us getting fined for ripping the netting off.

They threatened us all with ejection if we didn't return to the other side of the cloth and sit down, so we did just that, on the steps. They then realised that was far more dangerous than letting us in an empty stand.

It could have gone horribly wrong yesterday with the stewards holding everyone together as they came up the stairs, there were young children and elderly people in the large group. When I asked the female steward why she was been so stubborn, the reply I got was "because we can, and we aint letting you over here so move".

So a big thankyou to everyone that did come across to join us, and the stewards caved in and got left with egg on there faces, thank you :D

I think our back 4 Is the strongest yet with Vitor, Naughton, Davies and Cunningham. No offence to Berner at all, He has done a fantastic job, but obviously svenn wanted to inject new pace into our side and what better way to do than have 4 full backs under 25. I think we should not change the lineup for wednesdays match. :)

Archived