Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jackirius

Barnsley Post Match

Great away atmosphere. Great performance, even better that we kept a clean sheet. Any thoughts on what the formation was? Because it worked I just couldn't work out the formation

bog standard 4-4-2 I'd imagine, works for us.

433 with King, Abe and Wellens - for the first 20 minutes or so Abe played further forward and King was the more defensive midfielder, presumably to give Abe time to acclimatise to the pace of the game Abe then moved back and allowed King and to get further forward backing up Waghorn by continually breaking into the box.

Vassell and Gallagher were most definitely playing the wide pair of a front 3.

433 with King, Abe and Wellens - for the first 20 minutes or so Abe played further forward and King was the more defensive midfielder, presumably to give Abe time to acclimatise to the pace of the game Abe then moved back and allowed King and to get further forward backing up Waghorn by continually breaking into the box.

Vassell and Gallagher were most definitely playing the wide pair of a front 3.

what would you like to see as the lineup for wednesday? same again?

what would you like to see as the lineup for wednesday? same again?

No reason why not. We could certainly do with more consistency and one way to achieve that is for the players to get know one another's style, strengths and weaknesses.

We also still need to improve their belief and confidence which appears to go missing in games when they are failing to turn chances into goals.

No reason why not. We could certainly do with more consistency and one way to achieve that is for the players to get know one another's style, strengths and weaknesses.

We also still need to improve their belief and confidence which appears to go missing in games when they are failing to turn chances into goals.

Yeah, apparent in the Barnsley game yesterday too, could quite of easily been a horrible 1-1 draw. I am a fan of this back 4 we have right now, alot of youth and pace.

I have thought long and hard about making this post because I know I may get flak in return. On Saturday I made the mistake of getting the ‘football special’ from Sheffield back to Leicester, rather than wait for the later scheduled train. It was non stop but the train crawled along on what seemed like an endless journey, taking 30 minutes longer than a normal journey. I did get to see Bernie on platform 2, waiting for the Loughborough train, taunting the large number of Nuneaton fans on the opposite platform, whilst they chanted his name.

On the train I witnessed really poor behaviour from 4 so called Leicester fans who as they got drunker and drunker and louder and louder could only communicate with swear words as they played monopoly on a ‘phone, oblivious to the other fans, including families, around them. I was some way away but I could here every word. I go to all the away games and I often hear banter but it is usually football related and sensitive to the existence of others nearby, particularly children. This was disgraceful. When they spilt beer over the seats the attitude was that others were paid to clear it up, showing no concern for other working people. After the racist joke, at one point a chap sitting near me asked the police to intervene and one lad was warned that if he kept swearing he would be arrested. What these lads did not realise is that we all, including the police, learned their names and, for one lad, his job and the restaurant where he worked. As I walked away down the platform a family was complaining to the police about them. Usually banter on the train can be very amusing; there was nothing funny about the behaviour here and it may yet have unforeseen consequences; everything these days is caught on cctv and it’s a pity they cannot see the on board recording of how they behaved. It made a tedious journey unpleasant.

I am not being puritanical or patronising. As for the match, as others have said, ‘onwards and upwards’: it was highly enjoyable and we deserved the win. More to come!

Barnsley fan in peace. Just wanted to give a few observations from the other side. I thought as bad as we were Leicester were great, best side I've seen this season. Vassell was up against our reserve centre half playing at left back, still he killed him. I was particularly impressed with Waghorn up the middle, played a blinder. Barnsley were second best in every area, and we were never allowed to settle on the ball - we couldn't string 2 passes together anyway - whereas Leicester had some neat interplay and movement. I can't imagine many of the away fans have seen a worse side than Barnsley yesterday, like I said we were truly, truly awful but credit to Leicester and Sven, I can only see us going down and you in the top 6 at the end of the season. Great away support too btw, we were very quiet but then when your taking a pasting there's not much to sing about. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Wakered.

Good tight performance away from home coupled with Barnsley being pretty woeful. I absolutely love Andy King.

Immense day and night all round. Special mentions to the Devonshire Cat in Sheffield (aka Heaven) and Waghorn Tree wine from Bargain Beers, did a massive job. Great mentals in Bar One when our highlights came on the FL Show too. lol

Good tight performance away from home coupled with Barnsley being pretty woeful. I absolutely love Andy King.

Immense day and night all round. Special mentions to the Devonshire Cat in Sheffield (aka Heaven) and Waghorn Tree wine from Bargain Beers, did a massive job. Great mentals in Bar One when our highlights came on the FL Show too. lol

The Dev Cat is literally the most amazing pub I've ever visited, Kwak is undoubtedly the future of beers. Needs another visit at Sheff Yoo away I reckon.

Bar One was genuinely superb for the mentals, made sense after a day on the beers. Much like the Dale mini-mosh pit outside Dom's halls did. :whistle:

The Dev Cat is literally the most amazing pub I've ever visited, Kwak is undoubtedly the future of beers. Needs another visit at Sheff Yoo away I reckon.

Bar One was genuinely superb for the mentals, made sense after a day on the beers. Much like the Dale mini-mosh pit outside Dom's halls did. :whistle:

lol

Just three of us off our heads leathering each other wasn't it? Can't claim to remember much except talking to a geezer from Britanny.

Long day yesterday, about as far north as i have been in recent time, long fooking drive on your own (from north London).

Another one of those games where I was glad not to be in the away end, from where I was in the old West stand the away end looked pretty chaotic, I think our supporters turned up in rather more numbers than they expected, good showing. Out sung the Barnsley fans throughout.

Barnsley fans around me were pretty morose and unfriendly, moaned continuously once the first goal went in an gave their team precious little support, poor show, when I stood up to applaud Kings decisive strike no one was bothered, they were already on their way out.

First half we played pretty well, really should have been 2 or 3 up but Waghorn is still nothing like as sharp as last year and the supporting players could not do it on their own, though Gallagher and King both came close. We had new players and new combinations all over the field, Davies and Vitor, Naughton an Vassell, Cunningham and Gallagher and the combination of Wellens, King and Abe in central midfield. It all worked reasonably well though Barnsley were pretty awful, prompting a double substitution with barely half an hour played. The first goal was well deserved, Vitor getting barely a touch to Waghorns freekick but it was all rather nicely done.

After the break Barnsley put a lot more into it and by the hour mark they were beginning to look dangerous, Hamil was getting at Cunningham who got little or no support from Gallagher, and strangely Davies looked more uncomfortable than I have seen him in a City shirt. Abe continued to be everywhere in midfield but the lack of passing options meant he gave the ball away or was caught in possession a couple of times. Wellens also looked less secure, miss placeing passes too often for comfort.

The second goal, came somewhat against the run of play but was a nice counter attacking move, Wellens picking up a loose ball and playing Gallagher in down the left, the cross found King at the far post and that was pretty much that. City's only real scare came earlier, around the hour mark, with Doyle hitting the crossbar from 30 yards with Weale well beaten.

Of the substitutions, Dyer struggled to get into the game, Howard looked unusually energetic and positive and Moussa did not have time to work up a sweat. All in all good win and very much a team performance from Sven down, downside we looked a little bit lethargic in the last quarter of the game and none of Sven's subs made a real difference.

As to how are individual players performed, I shall add that to the Ratings thread a little later.

Barnsley fan in peace. Just wanted to give a few observations from the other side. I thought as bad as we were Leicester were great, best side I've seen this season. Vassell was up against our reserve centre half playing at left back, still he killed him. I was particularly impressed with Waghorn up the middle, played a blinder. Barnsley were second best in every area, and we were never allowed to settle on the ball - we couldn't string 2 passes together anyway - whereas Leicester had some neat interplay and movement. I can't imagine many of the away fans have seen a worse side than Barnsley yesterday, like I said we were truly, truly awful but credit to Leicester and Sven, I can only see us going down and you in the top 6 at the end of the season. Great away support too btw, we were very quiet but then when your taking a pasting there's not much to sing about. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Wakered.

kind comments much appreciated . I doubt if you will go down , winning at grounds like Oakwell is evidence of real progress being made by Sven and the management team

Long day yesterday, about as far north as i have been in recent time, long fooking drive on your own (from north London).

Another one of those games where I was glad not to be in the away end, from where I was in the old West stand the away end looked pretty chaotic, I think our supporters turned up in rather more numbers than they expected, good showing. Out sung the Barnsley fans throughout.

Barnsley fans around me were pretty morose and unfriendly, moaned continuously once the first goal went in an gave their team precious little support, poor show, when I stood up to applaud Kings decisive strike no one was bothered, they were already on their way out.

First half we played pretty well, really should have been 2 or 3 up but Waghorn is still nothing like as sharp as last year and the supporting players could not do it on their own, though Gallagher and King both came close. We had new players and new combinations all over the field, Davies and Vitor, Naughton an Vassell, Cunningham and Gallagher and the combination of Wellens, King and Abe in central midfield. It all worked reasonably well though Barnsley were pretty awful, prompting a double substitution with barely half an hour played. The first goal was well deserved, Vitor getting barely a touch to Waghorns freekick but it was all rather nicely done.

After the break Barnsley put a lot more into it and by the hour mark they were beginning to look dangerous, Hamil was getting at Cunningham who got little or no support from Gallagher, and strangely Davies looked more uncomfortable than I have seen him in a City shirt. Abe continued to be everywhere in midfield but the lack of passing options meant he gave the ball away or was caught in possession a couple of times. Wellens also looked less secure, miss placeing passes too often for comfort.

The second goal, came somewhat against the run of play but was a nice counter attacking move, Wellens picking up a loose ball and playing Gallagher in down the left, the cross found King at the far post and that was pretty much that. City's only real scare came earlier, around the hour mark, with Doyle hitting the crossbar from 30 yards with Weale well beaten.

Of the substitutions, Dyer struggled to get into the game, Howard looked unusually energetic and positive and Moussa did not have time to work up a sweat. All in all good win and very much a team performance from Sven down, downside we looked a little bit lethargic in the last quarter of the game and none of Sven's subs made a real difference.

As to how are individual players performed, I shall add that to the Ratings thread a little later.

I still believe we're lacking in belief and confidence which shows itself when we don't score when dominating the game, we did look lethargic most of the 2nd half from about 10 minutes in and until we scored, you could then see the belief flooding back and we found new energy and could easily have got two more late goals.

I still believe we're lacking in belief and confidence which shows itself when we don't score when dominating the game, we did look lethargic most of the 2nd half from about 10 minutes in and until we scored, you could then see the belief flooding back and we found new energy and could easily have got two more late goals.

I agree, there is still a number of things that are not quite right...:thumbup:

The lack of confisence, the way we let a mediocre Barnsley get on top second half is still an issue and is more than just fitness. Hopefully it is just the final stages of 'Sousa-itis' working it's way through our system, if not then it is going to require some more surgery from Sven.

If the expected influx in the january window is as expected it may not matter much...:dunno:

Very much enjoyed yesterday. Thought we played well - genuinely refreshing football. I had a lot of fun gooning about everywhere during the goal celebrations and some great chat with some top lads pre- and post-match. Only doing one away every couple of months is paying off for me. Bring on Millwall.

Cracking Away day. Thought we were dominant throughout.

Stood at the back on the right.

Epic celebrations for both goals. Sorry to the Pi55ed guy who was casually celebrating in the isle for the 1st when we piled into him and sent him rolling down the steps, Although he didnt look like he knew what was happening anyway. Picked him up afterwards and he happily got on with singing. His face whilst on the floor was definitly one of the funniest things ive ever seen. After the goal me and my mates were in stiches about the whole thing.

The Yuki Abe 'Alsation' chant was quality :thumbup:

Archived