Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC-ARAB

Connecting your laptop to your tv

I have no idea about this stuff and neither does my dad, He is always moaning about watching films on his laptop instead of on tv and i was wondering how to connect his laptop to the tv either wired or wireless

any help would be much appreciated

We do this with our desktop sometimes, and we just get a VGA Cable and stick in into the laptop and then into the back of the TV. Then on your TV there will be a setting for it. On our TV there is one which just says 'Computer' so we just switch to that and then it comes up.

The easiest way is probably using a HDMI cable. Put one end into the laptop and then the other into the TV. On laptop press the function key (Fn) and then a corresponding 'F' key (F1, F2, F3 etc. one that you can change the screen output) and select 'HDMI'. Change the TV to the HDMI channel and then the screen will work.

If there is no sound then go into the sound settings of the laptop and change default output to HDMI. You won't have to worry about changing it back because when you unplug it there will be no HDMI so it will auto go to 'speakers' (which is the laptop speakers).

Tried doing this the other week, bought the wires and everything but my TV is a bit of a nob and it won't display anything. Couldn't figure it out to save my life.

I was trying to do it with a VGA cable though, I think if you've got a HDMI then it's a bit simpler, I may be wrong.

Let me know if you figure it out, I felt like I tried everything.

• 4 months later...

Okay can you tell me what make and model your Laptop is, and the same for your TV.

I should then be able to talk you through it step by step (I do this as part of my day job)

Archived