Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

How do you request less hours at work when only 4 of you can do your job (including the boss) and it will knowingly increase their workload? I'm contracted 27 hours but they always put me on 39 (which is pretty shit in itself really, getting mugged off really on holidays) I tend to do 40+ a week easy though and it's making me want to top myself it's so dull.

I'm going to uni in a few months, I want the easy life now, I'm miserable when I'm there and the pay/stress just isn't worth it. But I know I'm gonna get told I'm leaving them in the shit and don't really have a reason good enough for them to justify it.

Inb4lol40hourweek etc etc

I'm sorry but there's only one answer and that's grow a pair.

You live for yourself not for a few guys you see at work for a bit, it's not like you're planning to work there for ever and you'll either be cutting your hours or quitting soon anyway.

Tell them you want to do your contracted hours and nothing more and that's it.

How you choose to soften the blow is up to you, just tell them you want to spend more time with your friends before uni or whatever. If they don't understand that, meh.

• Like 1

How do you request less hours at work when only 4 of you can do your job (including the boss) and it will knowingly increase their workload? I'm contracted 27 hours but they always put me on 39 (which is pretty shit in itself really, getting mugged off really on holidays) I tend to do 40+ a week easy though and it's making me want to top myself it's so dull.

I'm going to uni in a few months, I want the easy life now, I'm miserable when I'm there and the pay/stress just isn't worth it. But I know I'm gonna get told I'm leaving them in the shit and don't really have a reason good enough for them to justify it.

Inb4lol40hourweek etc etc

I don't know what you do now or what you're going to study when you go to Uni, but I do know you considered going into teaching... yet you're complaining about working a 40 hour week :unsure: Might need to re-evaluate the teaching idea if you're reluctant to put the hours in. 

• Like 1

I don't know what you do now or what you're going to study when you go to Uni, but I do know you considered going into teaching... yet you're complaining about working a 40 hour week :unsure: Might need to re-evaluate the teaching idea if you're reluctant to put the hours in. 

Maybe he just doesn't like working 40 hours in a shit job.

Bit unfair if you're being serious. He's pre uni working 40 hours a week in some shit job, probably retail.

Maybe he just doesn't like working 40 hours in a shit job.

Boom!

Appreciate the advice Finnegan. I don't want to let people down I guess and I just know they'll see 'wanting to spend more time with friends' as a terrible excuse. But then again why am I so bothered, they can't exactly say no can they?

Boom!

Appreciate the advice Finnegan. I don't want to let people down I guess and I just know they'll see 'wanting to spend more time with friends' as a terrible excuse. But then again why am I so bothered, they can't exactly say no can they?

Sorry, was a bit harsh with my earlier comment - didn't mean it to come out quite the way it sounded. >_<

Tell 'em to stuff their job if it's crap - you're only young once and life's too short to be stuck in a job that's boring as hell. If you don't want to give the 'spending time with friends' reason, could you not tell a white lie and give a reason that sounds a little more professional if you want to leave a good impression? :dunno: 

I'm sorry but the last few months before uni is pretty big. Even if you're not leaving to go study elsewhere then chances are a few of your friends are (and even if not, your boss doesn't know that.) It's a perfectly legit excuse, it's a big time of your life and you should enjoy yourself before you lose touch with your nearest and dearest who aren't with you forever.

Anyone who employs young people will know that and what's involved, you won't be the first person to leave for uni from the company.

If your boss gives you a guilt trip for it then he's a big enough **** that you shouldn't care anyway. You're not being selfish, he is.

Be honest, don't make any shit up.

On Facebook when you go to look on someone's profile who you're friends with and it comes up with 'content not available' what's that about?

They've already heard of your reputation?! :dunno::P

are yu-gi-oh cards worth anything? i've got hundreds from like 10 years ago, some in boss condition, some 1st editions, some rare cards etc. reckon they're worth anything? or just like a tenner for the lot? 

Depends on the cards in question - Rare and mint condition can fetch a fair few quid: collectors are always on the look out for them (As an example found within a minute of googling: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yu-Gi-Oh-Number-101-Silent-Honor-Ark-LVAL-EN047-Ultra-Rare-1st-Edition-/271459146426?pt=Trading_Card_Games_US&hash=item3f3439daba - Going for $40).

Whether you can make much off them depends on how much time you're willing to waste listing things, or whether you just sell them as a group.