Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

I missed the deletion of the politics thread and whatever led to it.

I keep seeing references in other posts to not discussing politics, or to posts discussing politics bring deleted.

Is this a forum rule? If so, can someone point me in its direction or post it in a reply? (Edit -I have looked in vain).

Or is it just that the case that the forum Moderators will delete any thread where people are disagreeing?

I'm not asking with an agenda (or any intent to post about politics).  I'm just curious.

Cheers.

Edited by Vacamion

On 27/12/2022 at 22:35, FoxesDeb said:

Can you log in to your in laws account and just use theirs? We have it and my children use our account when they are in the UK so we don't pay twice, I think we can have 4 devices using it at the same time

Netflix are about to clamp down on password sharing , apparently.

Netflix to Begin Cracking Down on Password Sharing in Early 2023 - MacRumors

18 hours ago, Stinky said:

Anyone have any experience of buying a sofa from DFS? Is their estimated delivery a bit exaggerated/worst case scenario?

Ours didn't arrive by the scheduled date. IIRC they added another month on.  Complained in store and it arrived a couple of weeks later. 

This was a few years ago mind. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Stinky said:

Anyone have any experience of buying a sofa from DFS? Is their estimated delivery a bit exaggerated/worst case scenario?

I ordered mine about 2 months before I moved into my new house. Gave them the move date then the house got delayed for another 2 months on top. They were ringing me nearly every week asking if I got a date as they need to deliver it, in the end I said I cant do anything about it stop bugging me and just cancel the order. They soon changed their attitude! I think they just wanted to deliver it so they can take the money. They are completely different when the shoes on the other foot. 

It worked out perfectly as they turned up as I were moving in! 

Edited by SeCrEt FoX
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I might be missing something obvious here but is there any plausible benefits of booking a MOT test one month prior to the expiration date?

I know that means you get 13 months MOT with the preservation of the existing MOT expiration date assuming the car passed MOT. 

However it would not make any difference financially wise as you then would have to book a month prior to the expiration date again to retain it so you would be effectively doing MOT tests again every 12 months afterwards?

2 minutes ago, The Blur said:

I might be missing something obvious here but is there any plausible benefits of booking a MOT test one month prior to the expiration date?

I know that means you get 13 months MOT with the preservation of the existing MOT expiration date assuming the car passed MOT. 

However it would not make any difference financially wise as you then would have to book a month prior to the expiration date again to retain it so you would be effectively doing MOT tests again every 12 months afterwards?

If you find something needs doing to get the car through the test you have longer to get it done before the current certificate expires I suppose?

10 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

If you find something needs doing to get the car through the test you have longer to get it done before the current certificate expires I suppose?

That was my thought but from looking online,  it is not the case which makes sense as you would not want unsafe vehicles on the road.

3 hours ago, The Blur said:

That was my thought but from looking online,  it is not the case which makes sense as you would not want unsafe vehicles on the road.

According to the Gov website, you can take your vehicle away if:

• your current MOT certificate is still valid
  • no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT

• Like 1

A wokery question.  I’ve seen in the papers a couple of times now that the word scalpel had to be changed in a book cus it might offend Native Americans ..  as in they used to scalp people they’d just shot with a bow and arrow. Surely this is the wrong way round ?? ..  wouldn’t the people who’d had half their bonce lopped off be the ones who would be offended ?? ..  and shouldn’t the Native Americans be paying some sort of compensation to their relatives for their barbaric antics ???

And ..  maybe we should get rid of the word completely ..  ‘Nurse ! ..  pass me that shiny thing with the very sharp edge please !’ ..  

And ..  whilst I’m on that subject.  Or pretty close to it. Slavery was alive and kicking in this country not that long ago in our history ..  boys who worked down the mines and lived and died without hardly seeing the sun ..  opening and closing the doors when the coal trucks were pushed along ..  the doors where there to help stop gasses spreading. They had one small candle but if that went out they sat in darkness all day and opened the door when they heard the rumble of the truck.  They arrived for work in the dark then left at night in the dark. Some of my relatives were miners so if any of you had relatives that owned mines please forward your address to me so that I can invoice you appropriately for what you did. Many thanks. 

ACD32843-4604-4F44-9463-C01F15F4B621.jpeg

• Like 2

How difficult is it to change a light fitting? 

Never done it before, or really messed about with any electrics.

As long as I turn the mains off, it'll be safe?

We want some fittings of 3 or 4 lights with those fancy bulbs in and if I can do it myself, I really don't want to pay anyone to do it! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

We want some fittings of 3 or 4 lights with those fancy bulbs in and if I can do it myself, I really don't want to pay anyone to do it! 

YouTube it 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

And wear rubber soled shoes. lol

It's pretty easy I've done it loads of times. Make sure you wire the new lights in correctly. Often there will be a multi connector strip into which various live, common and earth wires are conjoined. Take a pic on your phone so that when you re-wire you have a visual map of what goes where.

It's usually something like this:

Replacing pendant light but reusing existing chock (UK) - Home Improvement  Stack Exchange

Always remember with UK electrics, Brown is live, blue is neutral, green and yellow is earth

If required, I have a spare defibrillator. :fc:

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, cm141 said:

Fairs hopefully that convinces her to let me keep it haha 🦊

You might find someone willing to pay more. I did google but couldn't really find anything other than a few ebay listings that have long expired that received no bigs around £25 haha

I'd look to keep it for now though to be honest mate

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

You might find someone willing to pay more. I did google but couldn't really find anything other than a few ebay listings that have long expired that received no bigs around £25 haha

I'd look to keep it for now though to be honest mate

Fair enough thank you for the help 

8 hours ago, cm141 said:

Could anyone value my bottle of captain morgans spiced rum from the title winning campaign, had a baby and the girlfriend "needs the space"

20230125_171651.jpg

I see plenty of space on the tv shelf/cabinet there. Trying to get a man to part with his beloved rum?  Wonders why she is still only a gf! Lol

Serious note, congrats to you both on the baby!

5 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

I see plenty of space on the tv shelf/cabinet there. Trying to get a man to part with his beloved rum?  Wonders why she is still only a gf! Lol

Serious note, congrats to you both on the baby!

Honestly it's anything city!!! She doesn't appreciate the journey we've on lol and cheers mate 👍 

• Like 1

So I've bought a light fitting to put up, thought it was going to be easy, 3 wires screwed in to the new fitting (pictured below.

But the current fitting has got 2 sets of each wire, also pictured below. 

I'm confused! 

I have a blank terminal block for 2 wires (blue and brown I'd imagine?)

It says in the instructions that these wires will be 'unswitched live', so does it matter which ones of these wires goes in to the blank terminal block?

And where does the spare earth go? 

Can I put BOTH of them in to the new light fitting? 

I could really do without blowing up the kitchen.

Screenshot_20230208_163336_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230208_163911_Gallery.jpg

Edited by tom27111

20 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

So I've bought a light fitting to put up, thought it was going to be easy, 3 wires screwed in to the new fitting (pictured below.

But the current fitting has got 2 sets of each wire, also pictured below. 

I'm confused! 

I have a blank terminal block for 2 wires (blue and brown I'd imagine?)

It says in the instructions that these wires will be 'unswitched live', so does it matter which ones of these wires goes in to the blank terminal block?

And where does the spare earth go? 

Can I put BOTH of them in to the new light fitting? 

I could really do without blowing up the kitchen.

Screenshot_20230208_163336_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230208_163911_Gallery.jpg

@Strokes

• Like 1