Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Probably a stupid question, but for anyone who's with Barclays, can one person have multiple debit card accounts?

Just want to distinguish my main account where my money goes out for my phone bill, Season Ticket, TV...and have another account where I can save any surplus money.

Thanks.

Can't you just have a current account and a savings account?

Right, today was bin day in Leicester

Some bastard has filled my bin up 3/4 way with shite after the binmen came and left it half way up the street, Im thinking of going through this stuff to find an address and then dumping it on their doorstep. Any advice or some finesse in this I should be look at? 

Howcome when you're travelling in a form of transport, when you, say, throw and catch a ball in the air, the ball doesn't move dramatically even though you're travelling 50+mph?

Same goes to an insect flying in midair, Howcome it doesn't exert tonnes of energy to stay within that vehicle even though its travelling shit fast?

Edited by MShaffu42

Howcome when you're travelling in a form of transport, when you, say, throw and catch a ball in the air, the ball doesn't move dramatically even though you're travelling 50+mph?

Same goes to an insect flying in midair, Howcome it doesn't exert tonnes of energy to stay within that vehicle even though its travelling shit fast?

Because the air in the vehicle is moving at the same speed as the vehicle.

Or something like that anyway.

Well your reflection is just you reflected in glass, so it is 0 metres away, as it is you, or it is two metres away as it is the distance the light travels there and back, it depends how you look at it, or you could argue the location of the reflection is the same as the mirror so 1 metre away.

New question:

Can anyone tell me what height my reflection is?

Rep point for the first person to give me the correct answer.

As nobody has got this or even attempted it in 24 hours I will give you the answer.

It doesn't matter how far away you stand from the mirror your reflection will always be (about) half your height, I know it sounds ridiculous but it is true.

As nobody has got this or even attempted it in 24 hours I will give you the answer.

It doesn't matter how far away you stand from the mirror your reflection will always be (about) half your height, I know it sounds ridiculous but it is true.

Thought my answer was good.

Because the air in the vehicle is moving at the same speed as the vehicle.

Or something like that anyway.

Yeah more or less, by virtue of the ball or fly or whatever being in the moving vehicle it is already moving at the same speed as the vehicle, as horizontal motion has no forces acting on it (with the exception of air resistance which for these examples is minimal as it is a closed environment) the ball or fly will continue moving forward at the same speed as you and the vehicle so any external forces acting on the object will do so alongside the force of the moving vehicle, but as you are also inside the vehicle it will not be apparent.

One way to test this theory is in a lift, if you jump in a lift while it is going down it will feel no different to jumping on the floor unless the lift stops suddenly, which it tends to do when people are testing that theory in a lift.

No one answered because google let us all down!

Thought my answer was good.

Sorry Ken, thought that was in response to the first part of my post.

Even it is only light waves being reflected and not a physical object you can still measure it, such as you can measure a shadow.

i don't get this . I've just stood in front of my mirror on the wardrobe door and marked to top of my head in the reflection and it's about the same height as me .(certainly not half my height )

i look a lot fatter in the mirror than i actually am though  :whistle:

i don't get this . I've just stood in front of my mirror on the wardrobe door and marked to top of my head in the reflection and it's about the same height as me .(certainly not half my height )

i look a lot fatter in the mirror than i actually am though :whistle:

Do you look a lot older in the mirror too?

Relativity and frames of reference. 

Inside the transport, both you and the ball are inside one frame of reference, travelling at 50mph relative to the outside, which is a different frame. That means when you throw the ball up and catch it, because it's in your frame of reference it will act in exactly the same way as if you were standing still and not on transport. Of course, to a viewer from outside (in a different frame) both you and the ball would appear to be moving at 50mph, so both would be moving dramatically. 

Bear in mind even as you are sitting at your computer chair you're sitting on an object that is spinning at almost 700mph (as long as you live in the UK), and at the same time proceeding at around 66,000 mph around the Sun. But you can't see or feel any of those, as they're also in the same frame of reference as you are. 

As for the insect, most of them can manage a few tens of mph in short bursts, but barring a good wind they can't keep it up for long.

Edited by leicsmac

i look a lot fatter in the mirror than i actually am though  :whistle:

This kind of explains it:

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae72.cfm

That seems to be saying that you only need a mirror half your height to enable you to see your full self ,  not that you're always half your height in reflection . 

I still don't get it really though , because i can see huge lorries fully  in my car mirror as i'm driving along and..........arghh !!

That seems to be saying that you only need a mirror half your height to enable you to see your full self ,  not that you're always half your height in reflection . 

I still don't get it really though , because i can see huge lorries fully  in my car mirror as i'm driving along and..........arghh !!

It only works with your own reflection. This one may explain it a bit better:

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/refln/u13l2d.cfm#p3

It doesn't matter how far away you are from the mirror your reflection in the mirror is the same height, half your height.

• Like 1

Cheers for the help about the bank, just opened a savings account, thanks Webbo :)

You should have asked me to look after your savings for you .

There was no need to go to all the trouble of opening a new bank account . :)