Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Guest MattP

The amount of people who jumped on the Globe story was incredible without checking their facts.

What you can spread around the Internet these days about certain groups without any proof whatsoever is incredible, people just believe it, stick it with a meme and it goes ten times faster.

Churchill had a real prophecy with his pants quote.

That's an interesting story. It's a good case study in how you can whip up hatred by printing a load of complete bollocks.

People make up bollocks all the time.  Remember when Maxine Carr was moving into Blaby?  Except it wasn't Maxine Carr, but it was a woman, and that was enough to dust off the pitchforks.  Again, a story completely without foundation but a ready audience.  It's like they wanted they wanted it to be true

Also known as doing a "Daily Mail".

It's very easy (and correct) to criticise the Daily Mail, but as I've probably said before, it's ultimately selling its wares (largely shit journalism) and wouldn't be able to do so without a receptive market.  A lot of people just seem to love being outraged, don't they?

Did the shitstorm that appeared on Facebook and engulf the Globe pub get missed by FTers, and if so, how?

It's the sort of thing that usually gets people into a right lather

There was a thread that lasted about 3 posts before the OP realised it was a hoax and asked for it to be deleted.

There was a thread that lasted about 3 posts before the OP realised it was a hoax and asked for it to be deleted.

Ah, I see, thought it might be something along those lines. Thanks for clarifying.

Although the story was false, I find the whole thing quite compelling

Edited by Bellend Sebastian

well I went about 6/7 years ago, it was dear then, but it depends on what you're after. I stayed in a hotel pretty central (about 10/15 mins from the train station), and went out to eat of the beaten track, and ate well. I walked everywhere, Rome isn't that big really, and saw the sites, and avoided the places with giant queues, and essentially (imo - wastes of time - ie. Coliseum) saw the things that were out in the open and free. There were a few free museums, and when we went it was baking hot.

Seriously?

I rate walking around the Coliseum as one of the best moments of my life.

Edit: To avoid sounding pathetic, I was 16 at the time, and I have always been fascinated with the Romans ;)

Edited by DennisNedry

Seriously?

Edit: To avoid sounding pathetic, I was 16 at the time, and I have always been fascinated with the Romans ;)

i know what you mean ;) , those knee high boots and short skirts eh? 

Seriously?

Looking at the prices to go inside, around £44. Walking around the outside is all I'll be doing.

Just walked to the shop and saw a couple of girls wearing dark but largely transparent tights with no skirt or shorts or anything covering their modesty. Essentially walking around in their underwear. Is this a new fashion? Tell me it is. Phook.

I work in town. It is.

Edit: there is a downside when the girl has the physique of a buffalo though.

Edited by FoxesAreBlue

Just walked to the shop and saw a couple of girls wearing dark but largely transparent tights with no skirt or shorts or anything covering their modesty. Essentially walking around in their underwear. Is this a new fashion? Tell me it is. Phook.

article-0-1875F287000005DC-946_634x978.j

if it is good enough for our Jess then it's alright by me (but not if it's my daughter of course!)

I've been at the cricket all day I'm battered, so do I sleep it off in the spare room and piss off the missus as she takes that as a personal insult when I don't sleep in the same bed, despiteback problems caused by said add, or do I climb into bed with her despite being mullered and stinking of ale and hope she doesn't wake up?

Edited by Captain Pancake Face

I've been at the cricket all day I'm battered, so do I sleep it off in the spare room and piss off the missus as she takes that as a personal insult when I don't sleep in the same bed, despiteback problems caused by said add, or do I climb into bed with her despite being mullered and stinking of ale and hope she doesn't wake up?

Wrap yourself in cling film then climb in next to her. Edited by Mike Oxlong

I often have to get up at night and sleep in the spare room or do so after I've been out .

I often get those type of dreams that make me jump around a lot , (like when sleeping dogs look like they're  chasing rabbits)

If you freshen up first and then explain to her that it was out of consideration for her well-being , I very much doubt she'd be offended .

Quite the opposite in my experience  :blush: