Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

I did because I'm a lesser man that the absolute alphas on here. Asked her to come out tomorrow, she said she's gonna see if her friends are up for it cos she had fun last time so it seems pretty positive I guess, that was Sunday so we'll see how it goes, if not at least I tried. Only live once and all that.

"Seems pretty positive" to me it sounds like you've had a massive pie in the face.

• Like 1

Got into work at 10pm and there's been rumours that we may have to go onto continental shifts after Christmas.

Has anybody done them before and what kind of thing should I be expecting, with hours, working times, pay etc?

I work a continental shift, have done for 13 years almost. 4 days on, 4 off, 12 hour day (1 hour for a break). Great shift if you don't mind working weekends , bank hols etc. It works out with holidays I only work 5 months a year (obviously a longer day though). I'm not office based, 100% working at customer sites, day flies by. Downsides include normal payrate for weekends, bank holidays (if your 4 days falls on them). Positives include book 4 days holiday, get 12 days off. 

I work a continental shift, have done for 13 years almost. 4 days on, 4 off, 12 hour day (1 hour for a break). Great shift if you don't mind working weekends , bank hols etc. It works out with holidays I only work 5 months a year (obviously a longer day though). I'm not office based, 100% working at customer sites, day flies by. Downsides include normal payrate for weekends, bank holidays (if your 4 days falls on them). Positives include book 4 days holiday, get 12 days off.

Someone mentioned if you booked 4 days holiday you get 12 off. Do you have your holiday entitlement reduced because of it? Currently we get 25 days holiday a year but have to use 4 for Christmas so effectively we are left with 21.

The pays a bit of a downside due to the fact I do a lot of overtime especially on a Sunday at double time. Where as if we do go ahead with continentals i'll be working weekends at flat rate.

Someone mentioned if you booked 4 days holiday you get 12 off. Do you have your holiday entitlement reduced because of it? Currently we get 25 days holiday a year but have to use 4 for Christmas so effectively we are left with 21.

The pays a bit of a downside due to the fact I do a lot of overtime especially on a Sunday at double time. Where as if we do go ahead with continentals i'll be working weekends at flat rate.

I get 23 days holiday. I work on the railway so the only day I can't work is xmas day. If my 4 days falls on xmas day I have to book a holiday day for that. Other than that I think the 4 on 4 off is fantastic. You could even do 1 day overtime (if available), still have 3 off and boost your wages nicely. My job means i'm always on the move, may feel different if doing 12 hours in an office.

Also I only do days (7am-7pm), lots of continental shifts may be 4 days, 4 off, 4 nights, 4 off etc...

Edited by separator

Definitely a downside if your used to double bubble on a weekend, guess it depends on what they do to your wages to compensate, or whether more days off is the compensation.

I get 23 days holiday. I work on the railway so the only day I can't work is xmas day. If my 4 days falls on xmas day I have to book a holiday day for that. Other than that I think the 4 on 4 off is fantastic. You could even do 1 day overtime (if available), still have 3 off and boost your wages nicely. My job means i'm always on the move, may feel different if doing 12 hours in an office.

Also I only do days (7am-7pm), lots of continental shifts may be 4 days, 4 off, 4 nights, 4 off etc...

Thanks for the info. I've got a couple of friends in the printing industry who work them and they prefer them as well.

I'll probably find out more tomorrow as to whether there's any truth behind the rumours.

Got into work at 10pm and there's been rumours that we may have to go onto continental shifts after Christmas.

Has anybody done them before and what kind of thing should I be expecting, with hours, working times, pay etc?

I used to work them. Money can be great, as has been said, 1 days overtime still leaves 3 full days off. The 4 days holiday for 12 days off aspect is good as well. Effectively you are only working 6 months a year, not including holidays obviously.

A big down side, for me anyway, is the fact that in the 8 week rotation of shifts you did, only 1 of those weeks didn't involve working either a Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

If you are doing 2 days, 2 nights then 4 off, which is what I did, it also means that after your 2nd day shift you could go out on the lash if you wanted as you don't need to be in work until 6pm the next day.

I think the good outweighs the bad, depending on your lifestyle outside of work obviously though.

I used to work them. Money can be great, as has been said, 1 days overtime still leaves 3 full days off. The 4 days holiday for 12 days off aspect is good as well. Effectively you are only working 6 months a year, not including holidays obviously.

A big down side, for me anyway, is the fact that in the 8 week rotation of shifts you did, only 1 of those weeks didn't involve working either a Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

If you are doing 2 days, 2 nights then 4 off, which is what I did, it also means that after your 2nd day shift you could go out on the lash if you wanted as you don't need to be in work until 6pm the next day.

I think the good outweighs the bad, depending on your lifestyle outside of work obviously though.

I've worked 3 shifts for the past 5 years Monday to Friday so I'm used to having a limited social life during the week. What puts me off a little bit is working 12 hour days Saturday & Sunday as that's the only real time I get to see my friends & girlfriend. The night shifts wouldn't bother me as I prefer them anyway and i'll still be able to get dragged around Topshop on a Sunday afternoon by girlfriend.

The reason behind trying to get continental shifts is because we've got so much work and orders at the minute the company is having to be open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. But that means having to pay the overtime rates for Saturday & Sunday. By changing our hours they'll still be open 24/7 but only paying flat rate.

I've worked 3 shifts for the past 5 years Monday to Friday so I'm used to having a limited social life during the week. What puts me off a little bit is working 12 hour days Saturday & Sunday as that's the only real time I get to see my friends & girlfriend. The night shifts wouldn't bother me as I prefer them anyway and i'll still be able to get dragged around Topshop on a Sunday afternoon by girlfriend.

The reason behind trying to get continental shifts is because we've got so much work and orders at the minute the company is having to be open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. But that means having to pay the overtime rates for Saturday & Sunday. By changing our hours they'll still be open 24/7 but only paying flat rate.

Is your place unionised? You should be getting a much higher shift premium for doing contis.

They would need to set an extra shift on as well, whether that be by spreading the current staff out a little leaner to compensate for the extra shift or advertise I don't know.

Certain areas at my place have just gone back onto contis. I don't think it'll be too long before they ask others to do it either.

what's the best way to get rid of old cooking oil ?

can it be dug into the garden soil? will it burn in those old fashioned lamps ?

edit ; any other suggestions ? (no rude ones)

I've been using it to soak wood /paper etc  to have bonfires in the back garden but i'm getting fed up with getting rid of all the ashes.

Edited by Zingari