Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

For gym bunnies- Is 10x rep of sit ups in morning and evening equivalent to 20x rep of sit ups in evenings?

It doesn't matter, whatever the exercise though you want to be progressively overloading. So if you do 10 in the morning and 10 in the evening the next day aim for 11 etc.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter, whatever the exercise though you want to be progressively overloading. So if you do 10 in the morning and 10 in the evening the next day aim for 11 etc.

Is it ok if I increase the amount weekly or will I be making very little progress by doing that? What is a realistic amount to stop at- I have heard of people claiming they are doing 100 sit ups a day. 

Is it ok if I increase the amount weekly or will I be making very little progress by doing that? What is a realistic amount to stop at- I have heard of people claiming they are doing 100 sit ups a day. 

What are your goals? In all honesty sit ups aren't a good exercise, but they are better than doing nothing. I think it would be better to try and increase the amount daily as weekly wouldn't provide much progress. With regards to stopping, just keep increasing until you can't do any more.

What are your goals? In all honesty sit ups aren't a good exercise, but they are better than doing nothing. I think it would be better to try and increase the amount daily as weekly wouldn't provide much progress. With regards to stopping, just keep increasing until you can't do any more.

To get rid of my beer belly. I just started running again a month ago. I know running don't really help to shift the fat but I like doing it especially that I don't have time to go to gyms so I thought sit ups was the best alternative. I'm also eating healthily as well. 

To get rid of my beer belly. I just started running again a month ago. I know running don't really help to shift the fat but I like doing it especially that I don't have time to go to gyms so I thought sit ups was the best alternative. I'm also eating healthily as well. 

Well the only way to lose fat is to burn more calories than you consume. Therefore in terms of energy expenditure sit ups won't really do a lot, whereas running burns loads of calories and also boosts your metabolism throughout the day. So keep up the running and eating healthily and you will soon lose it, just remember that healthy food can still be high calorie so it's important to check the nutrition.

• Like 1

I'm suddenly seeing lots of people on my way home wearing what might be tracksuit bottoms with a pair of horizontal stripes (possibly reflective) close to the ankle on each leg.

I initially thought they were offduty firefighters but on closer examination the garment in question appears to be some sort of leisure wear.

They're very popular - what are they and why is the world and his uncle suddenly wearing them?

Well the only way to lose fat is to burn more calories than you consume. Therefore in terms of energy expenditure sit ups won't really do a lot, whereas running burns loads of calories and also boosts your metabolism throughout the day. So keep up the running and eating healthily and you will soon lose it, just remember that healthy food can still be high calorie so it's important to check the nutrition.

I doubt sit ups will do anything to help you lose belly fat, but once you have lost the fat then sit ups could tone the muscle.

Yes, I suspected that, I just figured if I started doing sit ups now- by the time I have lost all of the fat, I would be used to 50+ a day so I could tone up quicker. Cheers for your advice!

Surely the channel itself takes the ad money?

I was curious about this so googled it. Can't really find anything apart from a possibility of freeview being owned by BBC or sky or something

The company behind Freeview is called DTV services, and it's a joint venture between the companies that provide the content (BBC, ITV, Channel 4, and Sky) and a company that broadcasts it (I can't remember what that's called). It's not for profit though so I have no idea why they're still advertising beyond the digital switchover though. I've just chatted to people at work (I work in telecommunications) and various theories are that some of the minor channels are pushing for it in an attempt to increase viewers (through those who don't have TV after the digital switchover) and hence get more ad revenue (although we can't work out why you'd do that through TV rather than above the line), or thatit's just the pooled funds from the content providers who have to keep advertising it to make sure everyone's still aware that TV is free after the digital switchover.

It short, we're pretty flumoxed by it all too. It seems largely pointless.

Is washing machine time different to normal time? I put something in to wash and set it for 15 minutes. It's been in their at least 30 minutes and still not ready yet.

It is quite amazing how much longer it takes a machine to wash clothes or dishes and how much water they use compared to a human being.

How do you get rid of a blocked ear?? Was on holiday last week and in the pool a lot so I reckon I've got water trapped in my ear. It's been hurting for a while and today It's almost completely deaf in one ear. Is it even blocked or could it be an ear infection?

How do you get rid of a blocked ear?? Was on holiday last week and in the pool a lot so I reckon I've got water trapped in my ear. It's been hurting for a while and today It's almost completely deaf in one ear. Is it even blocked or could it be an ear infection?

If there's still water in there, the only way to get it out is gravity - ie. lying with that ear downwards. You've probably moved some wax about and you're best bet is some ear drops. If it doesn't move, book in at your doctors to get them syringed (a surprisingly unpleasant process). Unfortunately, in the days leading up to syringing, you have to go through a ridiculous ritual of putting hot olive oil in your ear to loosen it up.

Antihistamines and paracetamol.