Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Does water really go down plugs in the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere? Never sure if this is a myth or not? :unsure:

Yep.

There is a minuscule effect but in reality the direction of the water is dependant on factors such as basin shape/irregularities, how the water enters the system, and the configuration of taps and drains. The Coriolis effect is real and it affects cyclones because they're hundreds of miles across. A sink, however, is much smaller.

http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.asp

Yes.

Which way do they point if you're on the equator?

yes and no .

all compasses point both north and south in both hemispheres. the north pointer always points north and the south pointer always points south  

Don't be a smarty pants.

Don't be a smarty pants.

The magnetic field of earth points in the same way whether you're in the northern or the southern hemisphere. However, just to be confusing, if the earth was a magnet, what we call the north pole would, in fact, be the south pole of the magnetic (due to the way the magnetic fields are aligned). However, we call it the north pole because geographically it made sense at the time (I presume)

mearthbar.gif

28_03_Earth_magnetic_field.jpg

So, in answer to your question, the needle points the same way which is geographically north, but magnetically south.

Also, to add to this, the earth's magnetic field flips on average once every 450,000 years (not instantly, a reversal takes between 1,000 and 10,000 years). There's more information on that here.

• Like 1

Don't be a smarty pants.

Are you being serious? :D
 It really doesn't matter where you are in the world, the north pointer will always point north and the south pointer always points south .( although it's in reality it's the north pole of the magnet that is pointing to the south pole and vice versa as the opposites attract) 

Think of a compass  as just a simple bar magnet on a swivel  , it will always line itself up with the opposite magnetic poles of the earth wherever it is in the world. 

36.jpg

on this compass the red pointer  is pointing north and the silver is pointing south  :D

edit cocopops looks to have posted a more thorough explanation while i was typing 
Edited by Zingari
  • Like 1

Why does the premises of a kitchen unit manufacturer have an effect?

:D

Quite so , or being  in John Smith's brewery ?

Although my sense of direction might be compromised  in that location anyway.

Edited by Zingari

Didn't really know where else to put this. But found it quite bizarre.

Found padlocked in a sports bag - but coroner rules that the death was an accident?

None of his DNA was found on the lock attached to the bag and his palm prints were not found on the rim of the bath.

Lack of evidence elsewhere in the flat leads to 'probably an accident'?

Just me that's a bit perplexed?

Didn't really know where else to put this. But found it quite bizarre.

Found padlocked in a sports bag - but coroner rules that the death was an accident?

It's strange, that's for sure. I don't suppose we'll ever know the truth.

There is a youtube video showing how it can be done though it's very difficult.

Something very kinky about his death though, clearly some sort of sex game gone wrong and someone out there probably knows the truth.

Don't be a smarty pants.

The north and south is always the same no matter where you are, but the way most compasses are weighted means that they often don't work very well if you are very far from the location they were designed for.