Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Why do posters go on other posters' profile?  I do that sometimes without really knowing why.

I'm constantly hitting the name instead of thread name when I go to open a new post from the main page. That's pretty much the only reason I end up on others profiles.

why do people on ebay bid more for amazon gift vouchers than the value of them ? here's an example , but there are more  :unsure:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amazon-20-Gift-Voucher-ending-30-12-2016-/281206053963?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item41792fdc4b

It's an odd one.

There used to be a Comet Auction website where you could bid on fridges, washing machines, hoovers, TVs, etc.  The items were usually ex-display or returns & would more often than not have a scratch or dent.  People would regularly bid a higher price than what you could get them for from Comet - brand new & without any faults.

I'm often suspicious of things on eBay, that there are bids being made by people connected to the seller........to stop them going too cheaply or at least create some bidding activity.

• Like 1

It's an odd one.

There used to be a Comet Auction website where you could bid on fridges, washing machines, hoovers, TVs, etc.  The items were usually ex-display or returns & would more often than not have a scratch or dent.  People would regularly bid a higher price than what you could get them for from Comet - brand new & without any faults.

I'm often suspicious of things on eBay, that there are bids being made by people connected to the seller........to stop them going too cheaply or at least create some bidding activity.

i can sort of understand how someone might bid over the odds for a fridge or something like that , because the bidder may just not have researched the prices properly because there are so many makes and models . But an Amazon voucher clearly states its value . Why would anyone bid more than 20 quid for a 20 quid voucher ?

it just sounds like some sort of auction frenzy to me   :D

edit;to anyone interested

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amazon-20-Gift-Voucher-ending-30-12-2016-/281206053963?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item41792fdc4b

hurry up if you want to bid higher , less than 1 hour to go now  :)

Edited by Zingari

i can sort of understand how someone might bid over the odds for a fridge or something like that , because the bidder may just not have researched the prices properly because there are so many makes and models . But an Amazon voucher clearly states its value . Why would anyone bid more than 20 quid for a 20 quid voucher ?

the 2 highest bidders' bids do seem a bit crazy.  The second highest bid is £20!!  Who in their right mind pays face value or over?

The two highest bidders do have a lot of bidding activity going on at the moment.  Maybe they've got a little over excited & entered into an auction frenzy, like you say.

I seem to do better than I expect when selling, but I've never made more than I paid for it!!  I bought some Nike Free Run 3 trainers when I was in America last year.  I paid $100 for them & sold them (virtually unused) for £65 a few months ago.  Basically what I paid for them, when I would have been happy with £20.  :D

You say this happens often?  I can't work it out?

Might get into a bidding war in the last 30 seconds??

maybe they are taking the piss, having no intentions of buying them? 

seems too strange that they would pay more.

If the bidder is using a hacked Paypal account or stolen credit card, you could see how they could profit from that!!

If the bidder is using a hacked Paypal account or stolen credit card, you could see how they could profit from that!!

Maybe so,  I'm not criminally minded like you Smudge :D  ,

But to receive the voucher the buyer would have to give a name and address to post it to,  so presumably it would be  risky and a good  way to get caught too.

maybe they are taking the piss, having no intentions of buying them? 

seems too strange that they would pay more.

yes thats a possibility 

But to receive the voucher the buyer would have to give a name and address to post it to,  so presumably it would be  risky and a good  way to get caught too.

yes thats a possibility 

the seller sends you an email with the code for you to redeem through Amazon.  No need to give away your true identity......if you're that way inclined (which many are).  I don't suppose the seller cares about that too much?

• Like 1

the seller sends you an email with the code for you to redeem through Amazon.  No need to give away your true identity......if you're that way inclined (which many are).  I don't suppose the seller cares about that too much?

Ah yes I can  see  that as a possibility now, but wouldn't the buyer still need an ebay account with a corresponding name and address to the account? and also wouldn't the buyer need a name and address to receive any goods subsequently purchased through Amazon?  possibly not though.

edit 

I genuinely expected Amazon vouchers ( possibly unwanted gifts etc) to sell for quite a bit less than face value , eg. a £20 voucher for about £15 due to the restriction of where it can be redeemed. 

edit 

that's a possibility too purpleronnie (re boosting reputation)

Edited by Zingari

yes thats a possibility 

I actually answered that but forgot to post it. I do some of those Valued Opinions, oh the irony eh Zing? They reward me by giving out Amazon vouchers as a code

It's definitely been a senior day. I got one leg in my trousers before realising the underpants wern't on, lots of tutting and you dozy bastard to myself. Came down stairs and thought this tee shirt don't feel right only to realize I had it on back to front. lol

I think my mastermind days are over, criminal or otherwise. :D

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 2

1 for the gardeners on here. I bought a Japanese Acer to put in a pot  today. Instead of reading the instructions first I planted it in a big pot with some compost from my composter and a little building sand I had lying around. Afterwards I read the instructions and it said I should of planted it in ericaceous compost. Is that going to be a problem? It already had a fair bit of compost around it when I planted it.. 

1 for the gardeners on here. I bought a Japanese Acer to put in a pot  today. Instead of reading the instructions first I planted it in a big pot with some compost from my composter and a little building sand I had lying around. Afterwards I read the instructions and it said I should of planted it in ericaceous compost. Is that going to be a problem? It already had a fair bit of compost around it when I planted it.. 

I'm no gardener but I've got an Acer that I planted in a pot about 6 years ago in bog-standard compost. It's still going strong. Just keep it somewhere sheltered or cover it to protect from frosts, and make sure you give it enough water when it's dry in summer - I'm inclined to let mine get too dry then the leaves start to dry up and shrivel. 

• Like 2

I'm no gardener but I've got an Acer that I planted in a pot about 6 years ago in bog-standard compost. It's still going strong. Just keep it somewhere sheltered or cover it to protect from frosts, and make sure you give it enough water when it's dry in summer - I'm inclined to let mine get too dry then the leaves start to dry up and shrivel. 

They do prefer acidic soil, but you'll be fine following AoWW's advice.

They're good in pots & multi-compost will suit them fine.  They like a bit of shelter - in the winter & summer.  A lot of people look for the brightest position in the garden......for everything!!  That's not always the case.  Acers like a bit of shade.  A bit delicate, but if you can find a happy medium.......not too cold in the winter & not too hot in the summer.

• Like 1

That might be a problem, it's not really sheltered where I planned to put it.

PS thankyou for your answers both.

Hmmm, could be. Mine is sheltered as it's under a pergola that has a wisteria and vine on it so it gives it quite a lot of protection. Plus it's close to the wall of the house, so it's rare sharp frosts get that far underneath. Having said that, it survived being under several inches of snow last winter. 

Perhaps there's something you can get to cover your Acer with, if it's in a more exposed position? :dunno: 

That might be a problem, it's not really sheltered where I planned to put it.

Sitting on a blazing hot patio won't suit them.  My parents have a few in their garden planted in the border close to a cherry tree.  They don't sit in complete shade - more broken sunshine.  Maybe against a wall or fence that can offer a little protection from the sun for some periods of the day?