Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Just want to get people's ideas on this one,especially those who have either interviewed people for management jobs or have had this question, or anyones thoughts to help.

The wife holds a management role which is being cut nationally and has many job interviews lined up,however internal jobs at this level you can't just answer" I work well on my own or in a team" it's all" tell me a time......" And presentations.Now I used to do all of this political,corporate say what they want to hear stuff when I was in a similar role 10 years ago,but one-two question always crop up and we want to know if there is an answer that is near to the perfect reply.

What are your faults?

What could you improve on?

Now I know you can use personal examples,but anyone got any good ones you CAN use in an interview.She has two interviews Friday.

Cheers it is appreciated.

Anyone know much about sat navs, I'm looking for the best possible one up to £100.

What phone do you have? And what's a good sat nav? My android phone (using google navigation/maps) tells me where we are and where to go. I often have arguments with him but he always makes me eat my words in the end.

I'm not normally a beer man, I like my spirits (it's okay, manly ones) but I'm off to Bruges at the end of the month so I figure I've got to dabble.

Any recommendations, UB?

I was drinking some Rochefort beer a while back. Only had the Rochefort 10 but I'm keen to try some of their others.

Or are you more after lagers?

• Like 1

Does anyone know where I might possibly be able to get a shelf that is deep enough to hold a Sky+HD box and a PS3?

Have tried the usual places, Argos, B&Q, Ikea etc, but they all seem to come at around 250mm deep where I need something that is around 350-400mm deep.

I was drinking some Rochefort beer a while back. Only had the Rochefort 10 but I'm keen to try some of their others.

Or are you more after lagers?

Not a lager fan at all. The further from standard, British, pisswater lager the better.

My missus is already lining up the fruity beers!

There is good lager and crap lager. Admittedly a lot of crap in the UK. But there are plenty of very nice European lagers and they make much more sense when drunk in a hot and dusty city in the middle of August.

There is good lager and crap lager. Admittedly a lot of crap in the UK. But there are plenty of very nice European lagers and they make much more sense when drunk in a hot and dusty city in the middle of August.

I've finally started branching out from the high street beers, minimum i'll settle for now is Estrella/Peroni etc but quite enjoying wheat beers at the moment. I've drank too much Fosters in my life.

I've finally started branching out from the high street beers, minimum i'll settle for now is Estrella/Peroni etc but quite enjoying wheat beers at the moment. I've drank too much Fosters in my life.

One half pint of Fosters is too much Fosters.

Guest MattP

I'm not normally a beer man, I like my spirits (it's okay, manly ones) but I'm off to Bruges at the end of the month so I figure I've got to dabble.

Any recommendations, UB?

Impossible where to start with that Finners, just try everything you see while you are over there, they have more beers than the rest of the World put together I think. Duval is the Belgian beer I drink over here, it's about 8% though and can knock you out.

Even the Stella tastes fantastic over there.

Guest MattP

Do Belgians actually drink Stella?

Yeah they were in Ostend last year.

Unlike the "Australian's don't drink Fosters" cliche, the "Belgian's don't drink Stella" one doesn't seem to carry any truth to it.

Same.

Peroni is a fave but god-damn expensive in most places!

Impossible where to start with that Finners, just try everything you see while you are over there, they have more beers than the rest of the World put together I think. Duval is the Belgian beer I drink over here, it's about 8% though and can knock you out.

Even the Stella tastes fantastic over there.

The Rochefort 10 that I was drinking is 11.8% or something silly. Doesn't take much.

Any recommendations, UB?

Nice my favourite subject.

Basically there are different styles over there - strong blond beers (which is what Duvel is) this is probably my favourite style and the best two imo are Delirium Tremens and La Chouffe.

Dubbels - These are usually the same abv but are darker and while still sweet the flavours are more dark fruit, the best example of this style is Westmalle Dubbel which is also a trappist beer. Rochefort 6 and 8 are also amazing.

Tripels - I love tripels, they are similar to the strong blond beers. The best imo are Tripel Karmeliet, St Bernardus Tripel and Westmalles.

Quads - These are usually the showcase for the brewery and are like Dubbels but stronger (10-12%) and have serious flavours of dark fruit, chocolate and malts. Rochefort 10 is a great example and probably the best with St Bernardus abt 12 a close second.

There are also sour beers fruit beers wheat beers etc.

Edited by Unabomber

Not a lager fan at all. The further from standard, British, pisswater lager the better.

My missus is already lining up the fruity beers!

There are so many decent UK beers if you know what you're looking for. The craft brewing scene has really taken off in the past couple of years. A bit of Meantime is a personal favourite of mine. At the risk of sounding like a hipster I popped down the London Fields brewery the other week and they do some lovely stuff (the Hackney Hopster was a favourite). Also stumbled across the American Pale Ale by the Hackney Brewery and it was incredible stuff. Also, say what you like about mass produced American beers, they're streets ahead in the craft ale world. I'm a big fan of the Goose Island IPA for one.

Oh and I love a porter. Five Points (another Hackney brewery) do a great one called Railway Porter. DELICIOUS

I'm aware no one was really asking about this but I got a bit carried away. We may pay through our arse for beer down here but we're spoilt for choice.

• Like 1

Just want to get people's ideas on this one,especially those who have either interviewed people for management jobs or have had this question, or anyones thoughts to help.

The wife holds a management role which is being cut nationally and has many job interviews lined up,however internal jobs at this level you can't just answer" I work well on my own or in a team" it's all" tell me a time......" And presentations.Now I used to do all of this political,corporate say what they want to hear stuff when I was in a similar role 10 years ago,but one-two question always crop up and we want to know if there is an answer that is near to the perfect reply.

What are your faults?

What could you improve on?

Now I know you can use personal examples,but anyone got any good ones you CAN use in an interview.She has two interviews Friday.

Cheers it is appreciated.

As you pointed out - examples are key - if you put something on your CV and you cannot back it up you are not going to look great.  Study the job spec and try to list examples of experience, success, failures and learnings from each of the key requirements.

Knowing your development needs is essential in management levels - avoid the cliched shit ilke "I work too hard", "I am too much of a perfectionist" - you want to bring out what you think you can get from the role- recruiters want to hear that you will be committed to the role for a reasonable period and showing you think it fits your development needs as well as their requirements makes a great fit. 

Think about it as gaps in your experience or skillset.  "I feel I have not spent enough time really partnering a business leader and its something i really want to spend more time on.", or "While I have succeeded when working on cross functional projects, I am keen to take full reponsibility for a significant project and see it though to completion".  fi they really push for a weakness or fault, you could fall back on your personality type - "I am pretty goal oriented, so I have to make sure I put aside sufficient time to recognise that other dont always approach things the same way" - ir indeed the opposite.

• Like 1