Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Anyone on here got BT infinity?

Looking at the package and I can get it for £8 a month for up to 40MB, will this be enough?

Will be watching quite a bit of on demand sky and im guessing that will use 2.5mb an hour? Will also watch BT sport on my tablet or laptop etc

Ta.

Anyone on here got BT infinity?

Looking at the package and I can get it for £8 a month for up to 40MB, will this be enough?

Will be watching quite a bit of on demand sky and im guessing that will use 2.5mb an hour? Will also watch BT sport on my tablet or laptop etc

Ta.

I'm no expert but I can get on demand content on about 3mb, you should get HD on anything around 8.

• 2 weeks later...

Best man speeches? I'm guessing a few of you on here have been a best man one time or another.

Has anyone got any tips or advice? The wedding is Friday and I've hardly prepared my speech. I've got a few stories I could tell though some of them I will have to change a couple of things so I don't get us into trouble. Never been a best man and I'm nervous as fvck, I don't really like talking in front of a lot of people and it will be worse with our mates sat there taking the pi55 and heckling me whilst I'm talking.

Best man speeches? I'm guessing a few of you on here have been a best man one time or another.

Has anyone got any tips or advice? The wedding is Friday and I've hardly prepared my speech. I've got a few stories I could tell though some of them I will have to change a couple of things so I don't get us into trouble. Never been a best man and I'm nervous as fvck, I don't really like talking in front of a lot of people and it will be worse with our mates sat there taking the pi55 and heckling me whilst I'm talking.

Some good ones on You Tube.

http://www.thebestmanspeech.com

I used this site for good set ups or ideas for jokes you can edit to suit your mate, and just padded out around the stories with them.

Done it a couple of times. Trick is to get pissed up enough before you start talking that the alcohol takes your nerves away.  Admittedly that's a fine line.

Don't read the whole thing from a piece of paper, just have a few reminders written down to keep you on track.

Good luck  :thumbup:

Start off with the line: "So it's been an emotional day - even the cake's in tiers" and you'll be good to go :D

Edited by Jonaldinho
  • Like 3

Have a few vague comebacks prepared for the hecklers, that will help settle your nerves and remember its your job to embarrass the groom, no need to embarrass yourself. Keep the content short and punchy and try to memorize it, as again, it will help the nerves.

Good luck.

Firstly, try and forget that there are a lot of people there.  if you've got lots of mates there then that's not a bad thing as at least there's a portion of the room where you know their sense of humour, although beware over-using 'in jokes' as they soon get boring for everyone else.  I'm guessing that if you've got stories you'll have told them before, so just tell them like you would if you were down the pub (with less swearing if necessary).

If there's a lot of people there you don't know you have to concede that you're probably not going to get everyone rolling around laughing, so if you can say a couple of heartfelt kind things about the groom and the bride (make sure you mention her, and in a positive way) it gives something to those that may not be in tune with your sense of humour.

I've done this three times (hopefully that's the end of that) and the thing I've learned from that is the two most important things are a) are there funny things you can say about the bride and groom - if not, it's difficult to force and b) is there a receptive audience?  If their average age is 78 you're probably going to be up against it.  Best speech I did by a mile was less about me and more about the fact that the couple getting married had done so many daft things in their lives it was just a case of trotting out the same stories told a million times before, to an audience made up primarily of people known to us, of whom even those that had heard a lot of it before still had an appetite for that sort of nonsense.

You'll soon get a feeling for whether it's going OK.  If it's not going down well, wrap it up quicker than you might have done and don't prolong the agony - people don't really have high expectations for speeches, so if it's a bit crap but short then people are more forgiving than if it's crap and drags on for ages.

You'll be fine.  90 per cent of speeches are much of a muchness and only a few stand out for being either amazing or terrible

Cheers for the advice fellas done useful tips i'll be able to use. I've know the couple since they got together 9 years ago so know quite a lot about them.

I won't be saying what a friend of mine said to the grooms father in-law "I'm sure Paul will be thankful of you coming, not today but 29 years ago" apart from my and my friends laughing the room went silent.

Cheers for the advice fellas done useful tips i'll be able to use. I've know the couple since they got together 9 years ago so know quite a lot about them.

I won't be saying what a friend of mine said to the grooms father in-law "I'm sure Paul will be thankful of you coming, not today but 29 years ago" apart from my and my friends laughing the room went silent.

Don't do what I did and take this piss out of the brides driving! I didn't see what she threw at me but it hurt!

I also dont like standing in front of people and talking ( unless im pissee up and theres karaoke. ) I would suggest speaking about something you feel comfortable with, a story from memory you know well or an anecdote of some kind, nice words, yada yada..to the happy couple, raise glasses. Over in a flash.

• 2 weeks later...

Cleared out my aunts house as she's gone into a home, and have been over today doing done cleaning, and found the thing in the picture below. I've seen it before when I've been over and wondered what it is, thought maybe a history expert on here might know?

Edited by Facecloth