Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Cleared out my aunts house as she's gone into a home, and have been over today doing done cleaning, and found the thing in the picture below. I've seen it before when I've been over and wondered what it is, thought maybe a history expert on here might know?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This might help.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/George_Kent

Looks like a sex machine of some kind. Hope you've not touched that 'handle'.

lol I bloody hope not!

I can hear something moving when I turn the handle, there's holes I can see little brush like thing through, and it looks like you can attach things to the some clasps on top.......and I realise I'm not helping to move away from the sex machine idea!

Seriously though, anybody know for sure, I'm curious.

Cleared out my aunts house as she's gone into a home, and have been over today doing done cleaning, and found the thing in the picture below. I've seen it before when I've been over and wondered what it is, thought maybe a history expert on here might know?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

can you post another picture please? a close up of the plaque, and a side view. im intrigued

Cheers for the advice fellas done useful tips i'll be able to use. I've know the couple since they got together 9 years ago so know quite a lot about them.

I won't be saying what a friend of mine said to the grooms father in-law "I'm sure Paul will be thankful of you coming, not today but 29 years ago" apart from my and my friends laughing the room went silent.

I did a best mans speech a few years ago and opened up with something like "The bride looks like one in a million today, unlike the groom who looks like he was won in a raffle" Surprisingly got a few laughs. 

Anyway, a question. Why are diggers, JCB's, construction equipment etc.. known as 'Plant'. ie... Plant & Tool hire companies. This has bothered me for ages for some reason.

I did a best mans speech a few years ago and opened up with something like "The bride looks like one in a million today, unlike the groom who looks like he was won in a raffle" Surprisingly got a few laughs. 

Anyway, a question. Why are diggers, JCB's, construction equipment etc.. known as 'Plant'. ie... Plant & Tool hire companies. This has bothered me for ages for some reason.

The word plant is taken from latin (not sure what the actual latin word was) but it means fixed in the ground. For some reason the word plant was then used for mobile machinery aswel. Thats what i was told when i asked the same question to an engineer about a year ago

• Like 1

Where's the best place to buy Euro's from? I normally just get them from Sainsbury's but I didn't know if I could get a better rate elsewhere?

It's often cheaper to withdraw them from a foreign ATM when you get to Europe using your Debit card. Also much less hassle than having to go to a currency exchange in this country before your trip and filling your wallet with €100 bills before you've even left.

• Like 1

I've had a driving licence for 9 years but, until today, have been without a car for the last 12(ish) months.

I need to prove my previous 8 years NCD but I can't remember who my last insurer was as I changed it every year. Does anybody know how I can find out and get that letter of proof?

I've had a driving licence for 9 years but, until today, have been without a car for the last 12(ish) months.

I need to prove my previous 8 years NCD but I can't remember who my last insurer was as I changed it every year. Does anybody know how I can find out and get that letter of proof?

Surely you have some paperwork for all the companies you've been with?!

Go into your bank or online if you've got online banking.

They should be able to have a look at old direct debits if that's how you paid.

Surely you have some paperwork for all the companies you've been with?!

Nope.

Go into your bank or online if you've got online banking.

They should be able to have a look at old direct debits if that's how you paid.

This will work though - good idea Agent Walsh thanks!

Thinking about it - if I was automatically sent a NCD I would definately have kept it somewhere but with the big move last year that could be absolutely anywhere now so I'm going to have to rip the place apart.

Edited by FoxesAreBlue

Spider question.

Opened a window this morning and a right ugly bastard of a spider jumped out and fell behind the sofa. Naturally the mrs doesnt like it, googled it and decided it was a false widow. I agree having seen it but we disagree on how dangerous it is.

Im in the " its barely any worse than a bee " camp, shes in the " it can paralyse you " camp .

So I have turned my lounge upside down looking for the bloody thing but its long gone, shes still not happy though, any spider finding tips or convinving arguments I can put forward to end the search please?

Edited by Beliall

Spider question.

Opened a window this morning and a right ugly bastard of a spider jumped out and fell behind the sofa. Naturally the mrs doesnt like it, googled it and decided it was a false widow. I agree having seen it but we disagree on how dangerous it is.

Im in the " its barely any worse than a bee " camp, shes in the " it can paralyse you " camp .

So I have turned my lounge upside down looking for the bloody thing but its long gone, shes still not happy though, any spider finding tips or convinving arguments I can put forward to end the search please?

Don't look. All that tipping and banging around will just make it scarper. Just sit and wait. Eventually it'll wander across the floor or you'll see it sat high up on the wall somewhere.

Thanks. Now someone else has said it. Cheers mate.

And in future, a couple of 'solutions' to keep spiders away. 

Spiders for some reason don't like citrus-based items. So you could find some citrus-based air-sprays which will keep spiders away. 

Have also heard chestnuts keep spiders away too. Can keep them near doors and windows to stop them entering when they're open especially in these summer months.

• Like 1