Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Not a question as such but an idea about putting a few quid into the country without us dipping in to our pockets.

Sometimes when I go abroad I have to pay an "entry to country charge".Why don't we do it?

In France I don't obviously have to pay it,but I do pay a small tax per person if I stay in a hotel as a foreign national( I believe)

So non EU countries pay £10, it won't break the bank enough to put tourists off but would create a small revenue.

Where is somewhere nice to take a girl in Leicestershire? Not like for a meal although we will prob have a meal but somewhere a bit different?

Do what I call the "Bermuda Triangle" mate:

- Lamplighters

- Urbex tour of Sky Plaza hotel

- Travelodge (Holiday Inn if money is no subject)

• Like 2

Does anyone know how you can remove a big watermark from an image online, it is a box with some writing in that covers half the image

Loads of free software that can do this; just google 'watermark removal software'.

Illegal, though, and of questionable morality.

Edited by Buce

if you pour a bucket of petrol on a lighted match will it produce a fireball effect or simply snuff the match out?

Probably put it out - the amount of petrol would stop any oxygen getting to the flame if it was tossed on quickly enough.

Petrol in aerosol form though...THAT would produce a fireball.

Not a question as such but an idea about putting a few quid into the country without us dipping in to our pockets.

Sometimes when I go abroad I have to pay an "entry to country charge".Why don't we do it?

In France I don't obviously have to pay it,but I do pay a small tax per person if I stay in a hotel as a foreign national( I believe)

So non EU countries pay £10, it won't break the bank enough to put tourists off but would create a small revenue.

We collect tax from tourists in other ways e.g. air passenger duty for flights leaving the UK

One for a weights and measures expert.

When we are buying fruit or veg. why are some items sold by weight

but others on volume ( apples and oranges)? Surely everything should be

sold by weight.

Apples and oranges aren't sold by volume.

"Get your Granny Smiths here. They're lovely, only £1.50 for 250 cubic centimetres" :P

Apples are sold by weight.

Oranges are sold by volume, i.e a relative amount.

Sorry if I confused you.

I assume you mean by pack or per each. The reason I would imagine is because apples, oranges and lemons can be sorted into a uniform size and priced in convenient packages. Whereas peas, brussels etc are irregular in size and easily sold by weight.

It goes back to before widespread commercial distribution of eggs. As chickens will only lay eggs in multiples of 3, and since all sales of chicken eggs were, by law, to be packaged with eggs from at least two separate chickens, a half-dozen eggs became the lowest common number of eggs that could be reasonably sold.

• Like 1