Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

How do you turn radiators on? The boilers on, I'm definitely getting hot water, but I don't get heat from the radiator, even with the thermostat on it turned up fully.

If its a combi you cant have hot water AND heating at the same time.

Check your heating times are correct-if thats all okay maybe your radiators need bleeding?(presume you know what that is?..)

Check them first.

Depends how big the flight it, it's usually a couple of glasses each when you are on a tasting menu so I'd expect that's just in additon to your food unless you are getting some really good wine. It was about a £50 extra supplement from what I remember at the Fat Duck a couple of years ago.

P.S Did I bump into you on Sat in Soar Point? Have a vague memory but I was fairly out of it already.

How much did you pay at the Fat Duck? I see their menu is now £220, I deffo want to go there one day. Also where is the best place you have eaten at in England? I'm going to Purnell's at the end of the month which will be amazing (I hope) as he has been my favourite chef for many years.

Are Premier Inn's any good?

Stopped at a few in London. Unless you go to the very top end, London Hotel rooms tend to be extremely poor with regards to space. Stopped in loads that are like shoe boxes and these are from the big chains.

I stopped at one last year that you litteraly could put your foot on one wall and lean and touch the opposite wall with your hand

In comparison Premier Inns are fairly decent, adequate and functional and are at a fair price.

I just don't think it is worth stopping with many of the chains in London, when Premier / Travel Lodge offer probably better and are cheaper.

Wouldn't stop in one outside London though as you can generally find some nicer places than the plain functionality that they offer.

Premier Inn at Gatwick airport is really good but that's the only time I have ever stopped in one. 

Does sour cream go off?

Hmm, eventually, but it doesn't exactly taste 'off' - it will go mouldy though. 

Guest MattP

How much did you pay at the Fat Duck? I see their menu is now £220, I deffo want to go there one day. Also where is the best place you have eaten at in England? I'm going to Purnell's at the end of the month which will be amazing (I hope) as he has been my favourite chef for many years.

I wasn't paying it was a mate who I played cricket with who went down for a meal before his wedding and he covered the bill, I googled it saw the price and made sure the tab was covered before I committed, proper friend that.

Nah nowhere near best place, I was moaning within 30 mins of the tasting menu starting it's course, I said we should have gone to a steakhouse, I wanted a big fillet and to be plied with mash and chips rather than to sit there putting snails bollocks on the end of my tongue and pretending to enjoy it. I've been to a few of these sorts of places and the line between fine dining and pretencious bollocks is actualy very thin, I often think people like Heston Blumenthal and Gordon Ramsay are actually taking the piss behind closed doors seeing how many insects they can feed people whilst charging them a couple of grand for the privledge.

Best place is Britain to eat is the Hawksmoor Seven Dials by a mile imo. I book in every time I go to London without fail, I also know the sommelier there now Chris and he always treats us with a nice bottle which is a massive bonus.

Took me years though to actually see this, the only food worth paying £100+ for a big serving of Beluga Caviar and that's only if you like it, and you don't find out until you taste it. I last had it in a hotel in Paris and spread it on toast with egg watching Family Guy, it was great and I managed to shove the bill onto a couple of Dutch guys who I met in the bar.

Never been Purnell's let me know what you think.

Edited by MattP

How do you turn radiators on? The boilers on, I'm definitely getting hot water, but I don't get heat from the radiator, even with the thermostat on it turned up fully.

If you have a thermostat on the radiator then unscrew it and see if the pin at the top of the valve is able to move up and down. Just press it

If not use some pliers to release it and you should be back working. They get stuck.

Haven't been debited for this months car insurance, which is the first month after paying the deposit last month. Anyone know why this might be? The deposit came out fine, double the usual months charge, but haven't heard anything since. A little worried obviously, as I don't want to be driving around without insurance :sweating: .

Haven't been debited for this months car insurance, which is the first month after paying the deposit last month. Anyone know why this might be? The deposit came out fine, double the usual months charge, but haven't heard anything since. A little worried obviously, as I don't want to be driving around without insurance :sweating: .

Well obviously the easiest thing would be to call your insurer but it may be that your deposit included the 1st month payment also.

• Like 1

is it illegal to force your employees to do unpaid overtime effectively making them work for free?

I'd guess if the contract expresses indeterminate hours, then employees would be expected to do overtime if required. If they're on contracted hours they'd have to be paid

Currently at my work I get overtime payments and in a couple of years I'll be at the top of my pay grade. If I get moved to the next pay grade (where the base pay is barely more than the top of my current one) I will then be on indeterminate hours so should I need to do overtime I'd actually be in a worse off position!

I've been to that Hawksmoor, only for lunch though and had their burger. I definitely want to go for dinner and have a steak and some good red wine.

I've been a couple of times but don't get the fuss. I far prefer Gaucho.