Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Independent media can be anything from a parish newsletter to a internet blog by representing an organisation or charity. Normally they are only read and written by people who have an interest or knowledge and experience of the subject and on occasions

scoffed at by a few that do not.

If you want to read something that supports your views stick with the nationals. :)

Basically what Finners said.

Edited by Rincewind

Independent media can be anything from a parish newsletter to a internet blog by representing an organisation or charity. Normally they are only read and written by people who have an interest or knowledge and experience of the subject and on occasions

scoffed at by a few that do not.

If you want to read something that supports your views stick with the nationals. :)

Basically what Finners said.

Internet blogs are the worst of the lot, they always have an agenda to push.

If people can't reach a viewpoint based on the wide section of media we have these days they should probably look at themselves more than the news outlets.

Don't the national media have an agenda too? They are owned and run by big corporations whose interest are other corporations.  Sometimes it is a case of scratching backs.

It has happened locally with some charities. To keep the funding for certain services they have to agree to certain conditions set down by the council. If they protest the funding can be removed. It is the case all over the country. Like Finners said the truly independent ones are genuine and they do it because noone else is highlighting the cause they believe in. They are not paid for what they do and often have to fit it in with a full time job which could be within the sector they are writing about whether it is housing health service. They have the knowledge and experience at ground roots level.

Not sure where to put this. It is media related. It is the Guardian but I cannot see any other paper printing it so if it was not for them and independent media people would be unaware of this.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/patrick-butler-cuts-blog/2014/oct/29/childrens-commission-experience-poverty-schools-in-their-own-words?CMP=fb_gu

Edited by Rincewind

Don't the national media have an agenda too? They are owned and run by big corporations whose interest are other corporations.  Sometimes it is a case of scratching backs.

It has happened locally with some charities. To keep the funding for certain services they have to agree to certain conditions set down by the council. If they protest the funding can be removed. It is the case all over the country. Like Finners said the truly independent ones are genuine and they do it because noone else is highlighting the cause they believe in. They are not paid for what they do and often have to fit it in with a full time job which could be within the sector they are writing about whether it is housing health service. They have the knowledge and experience at ground roots level.

Not sure where to put this. It is media related. It is the Guardian but I cannot see any other paper printing it so if it was not for them and independent media people would be unaware of this.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/patrick-butler-cuts-blog/2014/oct/29/childrens-commission-experience-poverty-schools-in-their-own-words?CMP=fb_gu

Everyone has an agenda Ken, I have an agenda, you have an agenda, the Daily Mail has an agenda, the Morning Star has an agenda, www.wedontwanttoworkbutgiveustehbankersmoneyasrichpeoplearevil.com have an agenda. Whether it's a big corporation or a one man band getting sigantures for a petition they have an agenda.

It would be absolutely impossible to report on anything in a completely independent manner, everyone has their own views and prejudices from the minute their brain starts to work.

But the big corporation backed nationals are evil and the truth only comes from my mate bennjo who writes a blog online. About hunger among benefits. Works in soup kitchen has experience (internet) therefore knows he's stuff.

Just got back from beer trampoline. 8p a jump, recorded it for pani panjini and will complete the course.

Doesn't the owner of the Mail donate to the Tories? Doesn't the Government decide if the BBC can have a license fee increase? Doesn't bosses of corporations donate to the Tories as well? So who will the govt think about when dishing out money?

Yes Matt we all have agendas but some of those agendas are not all selfish and maybe they do actually care and want to make a difference.

For example there were a group of people who had worked at JCP for many years and became disillusioned  at how they were less able to help people so they left and set up their own online service. They would not be able to do this whilst in the job because they would not be able to talk about it.

Just write what you mean Ken.

People/Organisations who have agendas = Daily Mail, Tories etc

People/Organisations who are 'independent' =  blogs, websites, posts, people, articles, alternative media against Tories.

Doesn't the owner of the Mail donate to the Tories? Doesn't the Government decide if the BBC can have a license fee increase? Doesn't bosses of corporations donate to the Tories as well? So who will the govt think about when dishing out money?

Yes Matt we all have agendas but some of those agendas are not all selfish and maybe they do actually care and want to make a difference.

For example there were a group of people who had worked at JCP for many years and became disillusioned  at how they were less able to help people so they left and set up their own online service. They would not be able to do this whilst in the job because they would not be able to talk about it.

What about the group's that campaign for Labour? The special interest groups that rely on public funding for their existence, the unions that rely on a n ever expanding public sector to swell their coffers, a lot of that money conveniently going back to the Labour party.

Blokes on this forum who have children, did you always want to have them some day, or did you change your mind as you get older?

I think you are almost expected to have children one day, and at 21, I can't think of anything I'd rather do less to be honest!

I always wanted kids but I knew it was best to wait( I was 30 when we had the first one).

The best bit was when we decided on a second. At first it just wasn't happening, so my mrs said " we need to have sex everyday for a whole calendar month". That was nine years ago and I've not had that much since.

I always wanted kids but I knew it was best to wait( I was 30 when we had the first one).

The best bit was when we decided on a second. At first it just wasn't happening, so my mrs said " we need to have sex everyday for a whole calendar month". That was nine years ago and I've not had that much since.

god i wish i had a month of solid shagging lol

If it's for-profit you're probably fvcked.

Sadly, a lot of the time if it's not for profit and genuinely independent, it tends to read like the mad scribblings of Empty.

Your best bet is probably to pick a fairly centreist news source and remember to read even that with a bit of skepticism and an open mind.

Cheers, my views are centre-right as I'm sure you'll be horrified to know (:P) but I dislike how most of the news is presented with it's immediate criticisms and lack of balance.

I like the Guardian's football coverage though.

Got a windows 8 desk top with McAfee internet security and the McAfee has made Yahoo my default search engine. How do I go back to google?

I think you can do it from the google homepage: look for something like, "make google my homepage". You might need to uncheck something in MacAfee too, to stop it reverting back.

• Like 1

Got a windows 8 desk top with McAfee internet security and the McAfee has made Yahoo my default search engine. How do I go back to google?

What browser are you using?

In chrome it's the three bars in the top right>settings>default search settings and make sure google is in bold.

• Like 1

It's usually browser controlled. Which one are you using? In Chrome it's just in settings, easy to find

Edit: Beaten to it, yet again

Edited by Bellend Sebastian
  • Like 1

Guest Kopfkino

Cheers, my views are centre-right as I'm sure you'll be horrified to know ( :P) but I dislike how most of the news is presented with it's immediate criticisms and lack of balance.

Hang on a minute..... :nigel:

Blokes on this forum who have children, did you always want to have them some day, or did you change your mind as you get older?

I think you are almost expected to have children one day, and at 21, I can't think of anything I'd rather do less to be honest!

Your first misunderstanding is that you imply blokes have a say in the matter!

Cheers, my views are centre-right as I'm sure you'll be horrified to know (:P) but I dislike how most of the news is presented with it's immediate criticisms and lack of balance.

In my experience, the vast majority drift between centre left and centre right on different issues.

I don't think most of the politically aware people I've ever met are particularly radical in this country. We're quite a mild populace, especially when you look at some European countries or at the states and some of the views people hold there.

It's why our major parties are so bland, watered down and identical.

Occasionally, a populist issue like immigration tends to polarise people who aren't otherwise very political (often by tabloid spin), especially when the economy is struggling, but meh.

If I held a grudge against everyone with slightly right of centre views, I'd have no friends at all!

• Like 1

I don't think the economy-concern about immigration argument stands up anymore.

The economy is doing so well at the minute we are being landed with 1.7 billion pound bills to pay yet people's concerns about immigration appear to be at the highest ever level.

Some people need to get into 2014 with the debate on this, a lot of people are still shifting out the same arguments that were being used 50 years ago for a completely different situation.

Partly true, Ken, but if you can't understand why people would be unhappy about unskilled EU labour coming in when we had an already existing unemployment issue then you're being naive. Especially as a long term unemployed individual.

Now the right are trumpeting about a fall in unemployment but are still getting irate over immigration it does somewhat soften their argument.

Think personally the real issue is more our welfare system in general than that people of other nationalities are entering the country. A point the EU have made in response to some of Cameron's populist rants at summits. Accusing him of lip service for his own voters and ignoring the fact that, without breaking EU laws, the UK could alter it's welfare structure so as not to be paying out excessively to every freshly arriving migrant.

In my experience, the vast majority drift between centre left and centre right on different issues.

I don't think most of the politically aware people I've ever met are particularly radical in this country. We're quite a mild populace, especially when you look at some European countries or at the states and some of the views people hold there.

It's why our major parties are so bland, watered down and identical.

Occasionally, a populist issue like immigration tends to polarise people who aren't otherwise very political (often by tabloid spin), especially when the economy is struggling, but meh.

If I held a grudge against everyone with slightly right of centre views, I'd have no friends at all!

It was tongue in cheek anyway but yeah I agree about the UK's general political blandness but I suppose it's a good thing really because it indicates there isn't anybody wanting an absolutely drastic change because it's not actually bad.

I want drastic change but not of politics so much as social temperament. We're such a rude, aggressive, anti social vibe in our cities here compared to most other places I've been.

We're very pent up when you get away from the rural. Our youth in particular are prone to be horrific.

• Like 1