Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

I want drastic change but not of politics so much as social temperament. We're such a rude, aggressive, anti social vibe in our cities here compared to most other places I've been.

We're very pent up when you get away from the rural. Our youth in particular are prone to be horrific.

I'm sure you don't want or desire an endorsement from me but there speaks a man of experience beyond his years.

I want drastic change but not of politics so much as social temperament. We're such a rude, aggressive, anti social vibe in our cities here compared to most other places I've been.

We're very pent up when you get away from the rural. Our youth in particular are prone to be horrific.

I dislike 90% of the kids at my school without even knowing them. Edited by Wookie

Sadly, in my experience, 'rural' is now increasingly tarnished by this too. It might not be as obvious as in our cities but it's becoming far more prevalent, even in the most rural of areas. 

Sadly, in my experience, 'rural' is now increasingly tarnished by this too. It might not be as obvious as in our cities but it's becoming far more prevalent, even in the most rural of areas. 

I guess it very much depends on where you go.  Infact weekend violence seemed to be a lot worse back in the late 80's to mid 90's when I started going out.  I didn't necessarily experience many problems back then but I do feel safer just walking around compared to back then, maybe that comes with age or maybe its due to things like cctv or maybe it's because I went out more back then lol, but the statistics seem to bear it out:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27123979

Are late night brawls a thing of the past?

_74391459_hi022005943.jpg

Our society is becoming significantly less violent. Today's figures suggesting a 12% year-on-year drop in admissions to English hospitals for violent injuries are just the latest evidence of a remarkable and welcome trend. Something extraordinary is happening.

The chances of being a victim of violent crime in Britain are half what they were less than 20 years ago. Murders are at their lowest level since the early 1980s.

It's not just in Britain. Violence appears to be falling in many developed countries, with no obvious common political or ideological driver.

The homicide rate has halved since the early 90s in Sweden, Germany, Italy, Hungary, France, Netherlands, South Africa, Canada and the US, the list goes on, despite markedly different approaches to criminal justice and social policies.

So what is happening? One popular current theory is that the switch to lead-free petrol has reduced ingestion of a substance, which in substantial doses over a long period has known links to aggression. There is a striking correlation between a fall in violence and the introduction of unleaded fuel in different countries.

However, the continued substantial fall in serious violence in the UK suggests to me that there are other social and cultural factors at play.

Hospital admissions statistics for violent injury have a strong whiff of alcohol about them - victims are still most likely to arrive late on a Friday or Saturday night, they are predominantly young men and women who have been drinking.

But our relationship with alcohol is changing. When Tony Blair suggested tackling violent and anti-social drinking by encouraging a Southern European cafe culture with more relaxed licensing rules, people scoffed and predicted mayhem.

But, actually, young people are drinking less and behaving better. In many places, the police, local authorities and the licensed trade work successfully together to manage the night-time economy - it may still be a far from edifying scene, but incidents of violence are much fewer and far between than they were.

S

ome people suggest that the rising price of alcohol is reducing consumption. Public health workers, campaigners and teachers will also claim credit for promoting a culture of responsible drinking.

The important word in that last sentence, I think, is culture. We are witnessing a cultural shift away from violence and aggression that is building upon itself.

It is cool to be cool.

A Home Office research study in 2003 concluded that, for many young Britons, fighting while drunk was seen as an inevitable fact of life. The report quotes a young woman saying: "I have a drink and I just want to fight anyone." A young man agrees: "It is part of our heritage. Like football matches, you always get a fight at the end."

Whether it's licensing laws or lead-free petrol that has been the catalyst, something appears to have changed such attitudes. Our society has become noticeably more intolerant of violence. Whether it is bar-room brawls, football hooliganism, domestic violence or hate crimes, the idea that such behaviour is "inevitable" or "none of our business" is now routinely challenged.

We may have reached a critical tipping point where aggression and violence are no longer acceptable as an inescapable feature of contemporary life. Corporal punishment is out. Anger-management is in.

It is tempting to see this change as part of a much longer phenomenon - the civilizing of our society over centuries. In the 14th century, Britain had murder rates akin to the Congo today. Violence was ubiquitous. Three hundred years later, the philosopher Thomas Hobbes' observation that life in nature was "nasty, brutish and short" still had justification.

Today, for those fortunate enough to live in the developed world, the chances of having one's life cut short through violence are probably lower than at almost any point in history. Intolerance of aggression and tolerance of difference have become social norms that make for a more peaceful and calm society.

Edited by purpleronnie

I guess it very much depends on where you go.  Infact weekend violence seemed to be a lot worse back in the late 80's to mid 90's when I started going out.  I didn't necessarily experience many problems back then but I do feel safer just walking around compared to back then, maybe that comes with age or maybe its due to things like cctv or maybe it's because I went out more back then lol, but the statistics seem to bear it out:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27123979

I wasn't really talking about out-and-out violence. Just generally people being more rude, having 'attitude', being less tolerant, out for all they can get regardless of who it impacts on, etc.

Orange.

What came first, the colour or the fruit?

The fruit according to this.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2258240

As further evidence in support of Facecloth....

In Portuguese, the fruit is a "laranja", whereas the colour is "cor de laranja" ("colour of an orange")....though I think Brazilian Portuguese just uses "laranja" for both, probably Spanish influence as Spanish uses "naranja" for both.

Similarly, Portuguese uses "cor de rosa" ("colour of a rose") for "pink".

Why is it only racist when it's a white perpetrator and black/Asian victim and not the other way around?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2817653/Army-cadet-15-burned-aerosol-lighter-sold-Remembrance-Day-poppies-Manchester-city-centre.html

Clearly a racist attack on a white lad but won't be reported as such.

How is it 'clearly a racist attack'?

And you seem to think any attack on black or asian by a white is classed as a racist attack. It isn't.

How is it 'clearly a racist attack'?

And you seem to think any attack on black or asian by a white is classed as a racist attack. It isn't.

The fact he was selling poppies clearly indicates it wasn't a random attack. If it had been, say, an Asian lad handing out Muslim Aid leaflets and a white lad attacked him, it'd be reported as a racist attack, guaranteed.

Also, nice to see how popular the poppy memorial at Tower Bridge has been. Why aren't ethnic minorities (almost all white faces in a very multicultural London) interested considering that there was significant involvement by them in the war?

1414943021153_wps_13_Visitors_flock_to_t

The fact he was selling poppies clearly indicates it wasn't a random attack. If it had been, say, an Asian lad handing out Muslim Aid leaflets and a white lad attacked him, it'd be reported as a racist attack, guaranteed.

Also, nice to see how popular the poppy memorial at Tower Bridge has been. Why aren't ethnic minorities (almost all white faces in a very multicultural London) interested considering that there was significant involvement by them in the war?

Who actually cares how many ethnic minorities turn up to some Poppy Memorial or whatever.

Who actually cares how many ethnic minorities turn up to some Poppy Memorial or whatever.

The fact he was selling poppies clearly indicates it wasn't a random attack.

Ah so you don't know. 

If it had been, say, an Asian lad handing out Muslim Aid leaflets and a white lad attacked him, it'd be reported as a racist attack, guaranteed.

Nope.

Are you stupid or simply trolling? 

You seem to base your entire view on generalisations.

MKAUK_Poppy_Appeal.jpg

Edited by purpleronnie

So I just knocked on upstairs neighbours door for second time in two weeks as I can hear nothing but his bass.

The noise stopped but he didn't answer his door. Maybe a bit rude but okay.

But I'm really confused by an orange / yellow light coming through the spyhole on his front door. Wtf is that? Ideas?

So I just knocked on upstairs neighbours door for second time in two weeks as I can hear nothing but his bass.

The noise stopped but he didn't answer his door. Maybe a bit rude but okay.

But I'm really confused by an orange / yellow light coming through the spyhole on his front door. Wtf is that? Ideas?

Hmmm... the sodium lamps used to flower marijuana have an orange tinge.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...