Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

I've got back to student digs from christmas to find some mice in my airing cupboard - we've got one of those sonic noise things that's supposed to piss them off enough to make them leave: do they actually work, or do I need to get some traps?

We've used traps that are little black boxes, the mouse goes in and gets zapped by electricity. You just flip the lid and toss it in the bag and reset. Once I think one of them caught about 3 at a time.

I've also used spring loaded traps. I never had a probably emptying it, even with brains etc splattered everywhere. But the black boxes seemed more effective.

I've used these humane traps in the past - seem to work well unless the mouse is really tiny.

humane-single-mouse-trap.jpg

Also, they much prefer chocolate or raisins/sultanas to cheese. 

You do have to make sure you release them a long way away from your house though, so they don't return. I learnt this from bitter experience (and a blob of tippex on the mouse's head to prove my theory that it really was the same mouse returning over and over again). In the end I released it over half a mile away - that finally did the trick! 

It probably won't help you if they're in a cupboard but if you actually see one running around your best bet is to catch it in a wellie. Mice generally run along the end of rooms (along the skirting board) and if you lay the wellie flat along the edge (heel down, toe up) the mouse will often run into the dark hole. You then just need to flip the wellie up (quickly, they can reverse at great speed), fold the top over tightly, then carry it out and shake the wellie until the mouse falls out. (They'll cling on like mad, so make sure you see it fall out, I've carried them back in before now!)

Yes, I do know quite a lot about the fine art of mouse catching! >_<

If you were to contact a marketing-type agency as a potential new client, how quickly would you expect a response? I waited over a fortnight.

If, then, following an initial briefing meeting, you then waited over a fortnight again before receiving an email which, when you replied, was greeted with an automated 'out of office... won't be back until the 20th Jan' would you be just a bit pissed off?

I'm only asking because I get the distinct impression I'm being seen as pushy and awkward and I'm actually starting to query my own expectations! Having worked in Marketing/PR myself in the past I know I'd never have treated a client this way but that was several years ago... have things really changed that much? :unsure:

Totally unacceptable by them, if they are this slack BEFORE theyve got your job, imagine them after. Having said that, if they are convenient and you like their work etc, maybe worth talking to the boss, perhaps just one incompetent is letting them down, lol PR and Marketing is full of incompetents ;)

I've got back to student digs from christmas to find some mice in my airing cupboard - we've got one of those sonic noise things that's supposed to piss them off enough to make them leave: do they actually work, or do I need to get some traps?

Works a treat but as AOWW says.. take a nice long walk to release.

HumaneMouse-3.jpg

Alright guys,

Anyone got any recommendations on great restaurants in London.

Any recommendations welcome, don't mind expensive as long as its not blowout.

I know I could go to a Wetherspoons if I want to be full but I don't want to leave hungry lol

Cheers

Alright guys,

I know I could go to a Wetherspoons if I want to be full but I don't want to leave hungry lol

Cheers

What kind of thing were you looking for? Incredible food at any expense? Good grub for the price? A particular type of food? Somewhere good for a date? Any particular area?

I was thinking, sometimes in the life, there are always silly little questions that you want to ask so this is a FT version of Yahoo Answers which would save countless five-posts thread being created. So all of little questions or curiosities that need to be answered-Ask here!

I'll kick off the thread- What exactly does the saying " Life is just a one big party"

you will meet all kinds of person in your life like a party,someone will be your partner,friends,someone still is stranger,you will enjoy some happy thing in this party,or you will tear for something or someone because lose,maybe that is all

• Like 1

Alright guys,

Cheers

For me, I use TripAdvisor as it have some good search settings to help me to narrow down restaurants and I can also see reviews and go on their website to see their menu. 

• 2 weeks later...

i want to buy a new car. i want to pay not very much a month. i drive to work and back (about 10 mile round trip a day) and to and from mates houses an the shop an shit. i barely travel on motorways or long distances. i currently drive a T reg toyota corolla with a dent in the side (my fault), a back windscreen wiper that doesn't work properly and none of the electrics in the car (heater, radio) work properly. if i drove one of them cars you had when you were a kid that you stood in and pushed it'd probably be more enjoyable. 

what car should i buy and how much should i pay? someone help me thanks. 

i want to buy a new car. i want to pay not very much a month. i drive to work and back (about 10 mile round trip a day) and to and from mates houses an the shop an shit. i barely travel on motorways or long distances. i currently drive a T reg toyota corolla with a dent in the side (my fault), a back windscreen wiper that doesn't work properly and none of the electrics in the car (heater, radio) work properly. if i drove one of them cars you had when you were a kid that you stood in and pushed it'd probably be more enjoyable. 

Do you have a budget? 

Maybe something like a Ford or a Peugeot. It sounds like it's only a run-around car and not something you will do long distances in regularly so you don't need anything high-profile as such.

Do you have a budget? 

Maybe something like a Ford or a Peugeot. It sounds like it's only a run-around car and not something you will do long distances in regularly so you don't need anything high-profile as such.

i don't know what to set my budget at cos i've not got a clue how much i should be paying haha. i reckon i've got about 200 quid a month that i find ways to completely waste so about 100-150 a month? is that a lot? or is that going to get me fúck all?

yeah it's just for about 50 miles a week probably, occasionally something further but not regularly. was looking at something standard and small like a fiesta or a punto etc. 

what's the best websites to have a browse on, anyone know? 

i don't know what to set my budget at cos i've not got a clue how much i should be paying haha. i reckon i've got about 200 quid a month that i find ways to completely waste so about 100-150 a month? is that a lot? or is that going to get me fúck all?

yeah it's just for about 50 miles a week probably, occasionally something further but not regularly. was looking at something standard and small like a fiesta or a punto etc. 

Autotrader I'd say. 

I've got a Ford Fiesta Zetec, 1.25L. About 5-6 years old and has 60,000 miles on the clock. It's value is about £3000-3500 right now so maybe that helps find what you're looking for. Longest journeys I do these days are from home to Leicester which is about 60 miles. Otherwise it's just a 10mile journey to work like yourself. Does the job for me and is quite nippy and fast for it's size.

Autotrader I'd say. 

I've got a Ford Fiesta Zetec, 1.25L. About 5-6 years old and has 60,000 miles on the clock. It's value is about £3000-3500 right now so maybe that helps find what you're looking for. Longest journeys I do these days are from home to Leicester which is about 60 miles. Otherwise it's just a 10mile journey to work like yourself. Does the job for me and is quite nippy and fast for it's size.

alright, tidy. 

looks like a night scrolling through autotrader working shit out for me. bought a new tele earlier and now looking for a car, bloody expensive day off this lol 

Don't buy a new car just go to mad Mike and the boys at west coast customs then you'll have all the lcd screens and flame decals that you scousers crave

Don't buy a new car just go to mad Mike and the boys at west coast customs then you'll have all the lcd screens and flame decals that you scousers crave

knew you'd pop up with a serious answer in an actual time of need x

The 2008-ish 'eco' superminis with great fuel economy and low tax should be down to a couple of grand by now.

yeah is that like a 208, hyundai i10, fiat 500 etc? that's the type of shit i've found googling that here, mostly 08/58 regs from about 1500-4000 quid depending on all the other stuff of course. gonna be heading in that area i reckon. then got all the fun of working out what i can afford now, how long i want to keep paying and all that jazz

knew you'd pop up with a serious answer in an actual time of need x

yeah is that like a 208, hyundai i10, fiat 500 etc? that's the type of shit i've found googling that here, mostly 08/58 regs from about 1500-4000 quid depending on all the other stuff of course. gonna be heading in that area i reckon. then got all the fun of working out what i can afford now, how long i want to keep paying and all that jazz

He might mean the 107, Aygo, and C1s kind of thing. I used to have a 107, it was well cheap to run. Insurance group 3/50 or something like that. Paid £15 a year for my parking permit in Islington and about £30 a year to tax it.

Personally I'd never spend £100/150pm on a car when you do so few miles. Massive waste of cash. I do about 40 a week, (that's if its my turn to drive to a home game)

I bought mine (focus) on finance in 2010 and the finance finished around the same time my mileage went incredibly low. I resent paying £26 insurance a month cos Monday - Friday its sat there! I'm running mine into the ground before I even think about buying another, but cars have never bothered me