Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

More people than ever on work program and zero hour contracts but, yeah, it's all okay just as long as the Tories can fudge the stats.

Not that labour can conpla

More people than ever on work programme and zero hour contracts but, yeah, it's all okay just as long as the Tories can fudge the stats.

Not that labour can complain. Brown did exactly the same with FJF.

Some people like zero hours contracts. What's wrong with work programmes?

You're talking about people who have got no relevant skills whatsoever, they're the only people still struggling and even they aren't struggling that much.

The other 98% of people are seeing a booming economy delivering substantial above inflation wage growth, with more to come.

Edited by MooseBreath

Some people like zero hours contracts. What's wrong with work programmes?

You're talking about people who have got no relevant skills whatsoever, they're the only people still struggling and even they aren't struggling that much.

The other 98% of people are seeing a booming economy delivering substantial above inflation wage growth, with more to come.

Yet we've seen the biggest fall in wages for over 100 years with workers in full time jobs around 2 grand worse off than 5 years ago, but it's all rosy isn't it...can't criticse the tories.  Of course tories will say its cuts they had to make after Labour, Labour will say tory policy was wrong...and so it goes.

It always amazes me that voters are so loyal they can't criticise their own, and before that's thrown back at me check the good news thread I've praised the tories and criticised labour and vice versa.

• Like 1

Guest MattP

Biggest fall in wages for 100 years? Got a source for that?

Even if it was true you can blame your beloved EU for that as much as any government - allow unskilled workers to saturate the lower end of the jobs market it's going to be impossible to see wages increase on any scale. Basic economics.

Yet we've seen the biggest fall in wages for over 100 years with workers in full time jobs around 2 grand worse off than 5 years ago, but it's all rosy isn't it...can't criticse the tories. Of course tories will say its cuts they had to make after Labour, Labour will say tory policy was wrong...and so it goes.

It always amazes me that voters are so loyal they can't criticise their own, and before that's thrown back at me check the good news thread I've praised the tories and criticised labour and vice versa.

I believe you're referring to an academic study published over a year ago referring to wages between 2008 and 2013. I can't find any reference to this 100 years you mention though. The recession certainly did cause a few problems. Thankfully it's not 2013 anymore and things have improved massively.

I'm more than happy to criticise the tories when it's justified. Their record on house building, for example, is very poor. But when it comes to wages I'm not interested in pretending it's still two years ago. That's just dumb.

lol

More people than ever in full time work. Wages sky rocketing. Ken talks about low paid part time jobs. lol

I'll get 1% and that's the first rise in 3 years.

My pension contribution however, had to go up by 30% due to the changes brought in by this government.

I'm happy for those in the private and public sectors who have been squeezed following the recession and are now seeing their wages rise. But it's hardly skyrocketing.

Can anyone make use of some oldish VHS and DVD players? I need to get rid of some stuff out my flat. Most are in working order but just ones that I changed and not disposed of the older ones. May even have a couple of Freeview boxes that I was given when I was short of cash and considering reducing my Virgin bundle. You would have to collect.

Anyone know a pub in Leicester City centre that streams leicester games n will have Spurs on on Saturday?

Mollys I think shows them,also that shit hole opposite,used to be called squares or something.New Road inn is you're best bet but that's not exactly central.

Why aren't senior discounts means tested?

It pissed me off massively how rich retired baby boomers get a variety of things free or discounted, whilst a 19 year old on minimum wage has to pay. Examples include prescriptions and eye tests, through to things like public transport and football tickets.

The whole 'we've paid taxes all our lives so deserve free stuff now' argument doesn't wash either. Young people who are paying taxes now will be lucky to get a pension let alone the discounts old people enjoy today.

You're right. It's horseshit. The reason they get away with it is the simple fact that more older people vote than younger people, so their interests take priority in politics.

One of the smartest things Salmond did in the Scottish elections was extending the vote to 16 and 17 year olds. It caught the government totally off guard just how vocal and politically motivated this group were, and it adddd to the momentum that very nearly resulted in an outcome that was unimaginable when campaigning started.

The UK needs to do something similar to galvanise younger voters and give them a voice and the belief their votes matter. Until then our needs will always be stacked behind the policies that protect the pensions, property values and tax breaks enjoyed by the older generations.

How did they know which stadium to take the 6 nations trophy to? Just 5 minutes before Ireland lifted it in Edinburgh, England were driving for a try that would, if converted, result in them being champions in London.

I would guess that they had a replica

How did they know which stadium to take the 6 nations trophy to? Just 5 minutes before Ireland lifted it in Edinburgh, England were driving for a try that would, if converted, result in them being champions in London.

As Wookie said probably a replica. It happens in football doesn't it? When there is a title decider on the last day of the season?

Why is their so much anti-Semitism from Christians? If Jesus, a Jew, was not tortured and killed then all of the Christians wouldn't be saved. So basically the Jews made sure Christians could sin and rather than burn in hell they'd just have to say sorry. Jewish people should be idolised by Christians.

Why is their so much anti-Semitism from Christians? If Jesus, a Jew, was not tortured and killed then all of the Christians wouldn't be saved. So basically the Jews made sure Christians could sin and rather than burn in hell they'd just have to say sorry. Jewish people should be idolised by Christians.

Can you give a recent example?

anyone know the risks of investing in the FTSE all share index?

Losing your money is the only risk. It's just a question of how much. Realistically you probably will lose about 40% in the next major crash, which will happen sooner or later. You'll also lose 10%-20% suddenly every couple of years. But if you stuck with it over a long enough time span you'll most likely get a better return than from a bank.