Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Two Cricket questions:

How do overcast conditions help the bowler?

How is the score required to avoid the follow-on determined? 

1) More humidity = denser air = air moves slower over dull side of the ball which causes more "lift" on shiny side = swing that way.  In some circumstances and with skill of the bowler the ball can reverse swing i.e. does the opposite of the previous- not sure o the physics of this

2) If team batting second in thier first innings fails to get within 200 runs of the target score set by team batting first e.g. 299 vs 500 = follow-on; 301 vs 500 = not follow-on.  

Missionary only I expect. The lady wasn't for turning.

I just inferred that as meaning there'd be no girl-on-girl in this masterpiece.

A good thing, a bit of Maggie T and Norma Major would definitely bring up my dinner.

Genuine question for people more clued up than me regarding politics.

Keep reading that Cameron wants to bring in the no benefits for immigrants for the first 4 years? Great! But then other members of the EU are either saying no or stating that should also include British born 18-22 year olds?

Is Cameron not able to just turn around and tell them to sod off!? And why not?

I just don't really know what power the other countries have over us, and what would happen if Cameron just did his own thing regardless of what the members of the EU said?

Edited by EastAnglianFox

Keep reading that Cameron wants to bring in the no benefits for immigrants for the first 4 years? Great! But then other members of the EU are either saying no or stating that should also include British born 18-22 year olds?

I just don't really know what power the other countries have over us, and what would happen if Cameron just did his own thing regardless of what the members of the EU said?

Maybe he doesn't want to tell them to sod off.

Seems to be a 'thin end of the wedge' type thing... "oh you know we said we'd cut benefits and introduce health insurance for immigrants, well we thought in the spirit of equality we should extend it to Brits too..."

To all married men, did you bought new suits for wedding and wear them again afterwards?

Navy or Grey suits?

Hired mine... and  :blush:  it was white... Suit, waistcoat, bow tie, and shoes... oh yehhh, all white baby.  

( i blame Saturday night fever :thumbup: )

Question... Are Ssangyong shit.. or good value?

Edited by ozleicester

I've not read the proposal fully but it seems that the government proposal is stupid, a 4 year qualify period from age 18 isn't necessary, how many immigrants have come or are going to come to the UK at 14 so that they could start getting benefits at 18?  4 years residence requirement would seem to be enough and not discriminatory in any way.

Maybe he doesn't want to tell them to sod off.

Seems to be a 'thin end of the wedge' type thing... "oh you know we said we'd cut benefits and introduce health insurance for immigrants, well we thought in the spirit of equality we should extend it to Brits too..."

I get your point totally, I don't think he has any interest at all in telling them to stick it.

But say he did implement his own thing, would he even be allowed to? And would the other members have anypower to do anything about it or even threaten some kind of punishment in some way.

Apologies for the lack of knowledge but as I'm getting older am finding more interest in these issues.

Why do disabled people get free parking?

No problem with disabled spaces so they don't have to walk as far, but don't see why they shouldn't pay like the rest of us bearing in mind they get a living allowance to cover costs like these. Not to mention many get brand new free mobility cars and pay no tax/insurance on them.

Surprised the Tory government hasn't cut that scheme since it's been in majority to be honest.

Maybe you need to ask some disabled people. Did you know that DLA has been cut or removed for some disabled people? And I believe it is being removed or replaced by something else. The allowance is there to help them carry out everyday things that non-disabled people take for granted. It is not a bonus. I believe DLA is about £100pw but cannot be certain. It may vary for individuals. Also  the DLA may have to cover carers if needed. The mobility vechles are not free as far as I am aware but I am sure a disabilty person or forum would know better and have more information.

Why do disabled people get free parking?

No problem with disabled spaces so they don't have to walk as far, but don't see why they shouldn't pay like the rest of us bearing in mind they get a living allowance to cover costs like these. Not to mention many get brand new free mobility cars and pay no tax/insurance on them.

Surprised the Tory government hasn't cut that scheme since it's been in majority to be honest.

Yeah, some of the bastards even get free wheelchairs - what's wrong with crawling? Sort it out, IDS. :rolleyes:

Yeah, some of the bastards even get free wheelchairs - what's wrong with crawling? Sort it out, IDS. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying the mobility scheme should be cut Buce. I'm just surprised the Tories haven't done it.

Do you still think disabled people should get free parking?

And even if you do, should it be means tested? It's a bit of an unfair assumption to think that everybody who's disabled is poor and needs free parking because that certainly isn't the case! 

I'm not saying the mobility scheme should be cut Buce. I'm just surprised the Tories haven't done it.

And even if you do, should it be means tested? It's a bit of an unfair assumption to think that everybody who's disabled is poor and needs free parking because that certainly isn't the case! 

My guess would be that they take longer to get around and require more breaks thus they would pay more for their car parking? 

Edited by The Blur

I think that in a world that is overflowing with real injustices, it's petty-minded and mean spirited to focus on the disabled getting some perceived 'advantage'.

I doubt that there's a single disabled person who wouldn't swap their disability for paying for their parking.