Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

What do Insurance companies base their pricing on and how do they justify it in comparison to others?

For example, i've been quoted a renewal of £350 for my Car Insurance, fair enough that's not bad but I know I can get it cheaper (And have - £307). Yet when doing a few comparisons and getting a few quotes some companies were quoting me £900+.

It doesn't matter because like I say i've got it for £307 but how can they justify it? Why is it 3x more expensive then others?  :dunno:

Edited by Matt

What do Insurance companies base their pricing on and how do they justify it in comparison to others?

For example, i've been quoted a renewal of £350 for my Car Insurance, fair enough that's not bad but I know I can get it cheaper (And have - £307). Yet when doing a few comparisons and getting a few quotes some companies were quoting me £900+, Doesn't matter because like I say i've got it for £307 but how can they justify it? Why is it 3x more expensive then others?  :dunno:

I read somewhere that some insurance providers factor in your job as some jobs have a higher percentage of accidents than others. I am guessing some providers factor in these kind of statistics while some do not. I also wonder if providers have a difference of opinion on factors such as neighbourhoods- some providers may consider some neighbourhood rough while some do not? It is possible that providers may be working with different set of data that influence their quotes? 

By answering your question, I have created even more questions. Good job this is the question thread :P

For example, i've been quoted a renewal of £350 for my Car Insurance, fair enough that's not bad but I know I can get it cheaper (And have - £307). Yet when doing a few comparisons and getting a few quotes some companies were quoting me £900+, Doesn't matter because like I say i've got it for £307 but how can they justify it? Why is it 3x more expensive then others?  :dunno:

Each insurer wants to manage risk across their whole their book of business.

The quotes you get are a combination of the individual pricing factors personal to you (age, gender, postcode, no claims, vehicle spec, annual mileage etc.) and an adjustment factor which is used to attract certain customers and push others away. No insurer wants a concentration of risk, so if they have too many risks that are similar in profile to you, then they will set you a higher premium because they would rather you go elsewhere.

• Like 1

Got a question here, do you all work from USB stick where you attach USB stick, work on files there and overwrite files on your laptop with updated files on the stick or is it other way around? I'm getting bit paranoid of accidentally putting a heavy university book on the top of the stick but on other hand, it would be a nightmare if I work on some files at uni then forget to copy it on USB stick before going home especially that I am in just one day a week and are on a placement for four days so it will be a hassle going to uni just to copy some files.

Got a question here, do you all work from USB stick where you attach USB stick, work on files there and overwrite files on your laptop with updated files on the stick or is it other way around? I'm getting bit paranoid of accidentally putting a heavy university book on the top of the stick but on other hand, it would be a nightmare if I work on some files at uni then forget to copy it on USB stick before going home especially that I am in just one day a week and are on a placement for four days so it will be a hassle going to uni just to copy some files.

I would presume most people use some sort of cloud based storage like Google Drive or Dropbox these days.

Ok so we've established that grammar and syntax are not your strong points...

Are you asking if it's better to work directly off a USB stick plugged into a laptop instead of copying the files to said laptop, removing the stick, working on the files, then putting those files back onto the stick once you've finished?   Why would forgetting to copy files to a USB be an issue if you're carrying them around on your laptop anyway?  Indeed why would you work directly off the USB instead of copying the files to it as and when you need to transport them between machines?

Apologies if I've completely missed the point of your question lol

Ok so we've established that grammar and syntax are not your strong points...

Are you asking if it's better to work directly off a USB stick plugged into a laptop instead of copying the files to said laptop, removing the stick, working on the files, then putting those files back onto the stick once you've finished?   Why would forgetting to copy files to a USB be an issue if you're carrying them around on your laptop anyway?  Indeed why would you work directly off the USB instead of copying the files to it as and when you need to transport them between machines?

Apologies if I've completely missed the point of your question lol

English is my second language but thanks for pointing it out just in case if I forget that!

Yeah, that is the gist of my question, I do not carry my laptop around just my USB stick hence forgetting to copy files will be an issue.  

Edited by The Blur

English is my second language but thanks for pointing it out just in case if I forget that!

Yeah, that is the gist of my question, I do not carry my laptop around just my USB stick hence forgetting to copy files will be an issue.  

Ha, sorry.

In that case either invest in a laptop bag or just work directly off the USB and don't put heavy things on it!  Alternatively you could do the cloud storage thing if your files aren't important enough for you to worry about digital snooping.

Osborne & Little? :whistle:

They don't even have prices online so I'm guessing that's some super expensive stuff. I didn't even know prestige wallpaper existed but I guess I'm not surprised.

What I'm looking for is some cheap white paper to cover an area of wall under a window where the wallpaper has come away due to damp. Doesn't need to be fancy because it's covered by curtains most of the time anyway.

They don't even have prices online so I'm guessing that's some super expensive stuff. I didn't even know prestige wallpaper existed but I guess I'm not surprised.

Sealed bids to be addressed to No. 11 Downing Street via a P.O. Box in the Cayman Islands? 

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Like 1