Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

They don't even have prices online so I'm guessing that's some super expensive stuff. I didn't even know prestige wallpaper existed but I guess I'm not surprised.

What I'm looking for is some cheap white paper to cover an area of wall under a window where the wallpaper has come away due to damp. Doesn't need to be fancy because it's covered by curtains most of the time anyway.

Surely wall paper is a bit  1970's.

I understand that Andrex do some nice paper that'll suit your house by the sounds of it.

Perhaps consider curing the damp problem before you cover it up again.

Tbf to fif, if the source of the damp isn't cured the paper will come off again.

I've put a dehumidifier in which should sort it out for now, I'm not sure what the source of the damp is but I think it's probably from drying clothes on radiators and poor extraction from the bathroom adjacent to the affected room.

I've put a dehumidifier in which should sort it out for now, I'm not sure what the source of the damp is but I think it's probably from drying clothes on radiators and poor extraction from the bathroom adjacent to the affected room.

Ugh. Sounds exactly like my old house off Narb Rd.

Not necessarily the best place for careers advice, but I'm at a bit of a dead end and fairly bogged down by work to properly look into uni degrees.

I study history, politics, German and maths at A-level, currently in year 12. Don't want to do anything in maths, history degree doesn't interest me, politics does interest me but I don't want to be a politician really and have been told I'm too nice for PPE  lol  German is a language I want to become fluent in, but a pure language degree isn't really something I want to do. Really in the future I'd like to be working in something like the Foreign Office, using language skills and political knowledge to work for the government, but not as a politician. However that is just one fairly narrow aspiration and I'm lost as to what else to really look into. Any suggestions on what sort of uni courses would be good to be looking into, or what routes there could potentially be into what I want to do?

IR maybe? Or a politics/German joint honours?

Plenty of options if you do decide to go to uni.

Not picking maths is probably wise, though. I'm a maths / stats finalist and it's painful at times lol

Housemate did a masters in that and now works for YouGov, gets paid a London wage but gets to work from home here in Sheffield for most of the week. Pretty sure he's raking it in so stick with it if you enjoy it.

Not necessarily the best place for careers advice, but I'm at a bit of a dead end and fairly bogged down by work to properly look into uni degrees.

I study history, politics, German and maths at A-level, currently in year 12. Don't want to do anything in maths, history degree doesn't interest me, politics does interest me but I don't want to be a politician really and have been told I'm too nice for PPE lol German is a language I want to become fluent in, but a pure language degree isn't really something I want to do. Really in the future I'd like to be working in something like the Foreign Office, using language skills and political knowledge to work for the government, but not as a politician. However that is just one fairly narrow aspiration and I'm lost as to what else to really look into. Any suggestions on what sort of uni courses would be good to be looking into, or what routes there could potentially be into what I want to do?

I do international business and spanish cos i didn't fancy doing pure spanish and doing pure business would be dead boring. Don't mind the course and it has modules of data analysis, culture, politics, people and groups, and economics so you get a mixture really
  • Like 1

I study history, politics, German and maths at A-level, currently in year 12. Don't want to do anything in maths, history degree doesn't interest me, politics does interest me but I don't want to be a politician really and have been told I'm too nice for PPE lol German is a language I want to become fluent in, but a pure language degree isn't really something I want to do. Really in the future I'd like to be working in something like the Foreign Office, using language skills and political knowledge to work for the government, but not as a politician. However that is just one fairly narrow aspiration and I'm lost as to what else to really look into. Any suggestions on what sort of uni courses would be good to be looking into, or what routes there could potentially be into what I want to do?

Sounds like you want to be something like a diplomat

www.prospects.ac.uk/diplomatic_services_operational_officer_entry_requirements.htm

Tough to get into by the looks of it. Getting some work experience as explained at the bottom of the page be a very good idea.

Edited by MooseBreath
  • Like 1

If boarding up the loft of a house with mega thick insulation, should i just compress the insulation and screw the boards straight into the joists or spend the extra money on buying risers that lift the boards over the insulation?

They seem a lot of money for what they are, but the manufacturers claim that compressing the insulation reduces its effectiveness.

If boarding up the loft of a house with mega thick insulation, should i just compress the insulation and screw the boards straight into the joists or spend the extra money on buying risers that lift the boards over the insulation?

They seem a lot of money for what they are, but the manufacturers claim that compressing the insulation reduces its effectiveness.

Compressing it will reduce its effectiveness because it's all about the air pockets and compressing the insulation compresses the air pockets.

This study says compression from 270mm down to 100mm roughly halves the effectiveness

www.npl.co.uk/news/squashed-loft-insulation-50-per-cent-less-effective

The risers will be worth the cost over a long enough time period. How quick the payback period is depends on how much compression you're planning to do.