Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

It must be a man thing. I absolutely love maps. I can sit and look at them for ages.

Yeah, I've got a crap load of ordinance survey maps for walks I've never done haha. I've got a load for walks I have done, don't get me wrong, but just owning maps and planning the route is entertaining in itself.

The missus doesn't get it but then I don't get candy crush.

It must be a man thing. I absolutely love maps. I can sit and look at them for ages.

I hate to shatter your illusions but it's not just a man thing - I love maps, atlases, travel guides, etc. In fact, for a long while I wanted to be a cartographer. 

• Like 1

Erm I'm a man.

Yeah, but that's the thing about the internet - you can be who you like.

For all we know, you could be just another of Moose's alta egos. Hell, for all I know you all could be Moose, and I'm wasting hours of my day interacting with an asylum patient who happens to have the most severe case of schitzophrenia ever recorded.

Actually, that would explain a lot. lol

• Like 2

Plumbers!

Installed a dishwasher recently and attached the waste outlet straight to a spigot on the sink trap - as opposed to an upstand trap with an air gap. 

Is there any need for an anti-syphon valve? 

I'm not a plumber but have installed a few dishwashers over the years.

You don't need an upstand trap as you can plumb the waste pipe directly into your sink waste pipe above the p trap (u bend).

I would recommend that the 'spigot' (nipple) joining the sink pipe, be at an angle pointing downwards. The pipe also needs to be looped and attached to the underside of your counter as shown in this diagram. That stops sink water backing into the dishwasher.

50963d1325089788-dishwasher-plumbing-nee

Also use two clamps to tighten the dishwasher hose onto the nipple and have them tightening in opposite directions.

Yeah, but that's the thing about the internet - you can be who you like.

For all we know, you could be just another of Moose's alta egos. Hell, for all I know you all could be Moose, and I'm wasting hours of my day interacting with an asylum patient who happens to have the most severe case of schitzophrenia ever recorded.

Actually, that would explain a lot. lol

And you are me, and I am responding to myself about being Moose. Which would explain a lot.

I heard that Moose is really Pope Francis. It's just another of his altar egos.

Perhaps the pontiff derives some pleasure from 'being Moose'.

A kind of vicarious thrill..

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

I am going to Germany in a couple of weeks. How can I download from bbc I player. Is there any software to fool it so it thinks you are in the UK?

I am going to Germany in a couple of weeks. How can I download from bbc I player. Is there any software to fool it so it thinks you are in the UK?

Hola is a free browser extension that allows you to change your location but there are some quite bad security risks associated with it. Zenmate is better but I think you have to pay for access to UK sites. Tunnelbear is another, I think it allows you to access the UK for free but with a data limit. I've never used it.

If you're willing to pay there are plenty of VPN providers that will do what you need, better than the free alternatives. Some of them  may have free trials too.

I've heard a rumour if you eat 6 bananas in one sitting you die. Potassium over load. Body can't cope. Any truth to this?

No. A healthy adult would need to eat at least 7 bananas a day to even meet the recommended daily amount of potassium. You'd need to eat a ridiculous number to overdose on potassium. Kidneys can struggle to process bananas, though, so people with kidney disease need to be more aware. They can also cause constipation. :D

I've heard a rumour if you eat 6 bananas in one sitting you die. Potassium over load. Body can't cope. Any truth to this?

No. A healthy adult would need to eat at least 7 bananas a day to even meet the recommended daily amount of potassium. You'd need to eat a ridiculous number to overdose on potassium. Kidneys can struggle to process bananas, though, so people with kidney disease need to be more aware. They can also cause constipation. :D

If you Ate 12 large bananas a day then this is what would cause Hyperkalemia ( too much potassium). That's likely for the most part to just result in a horrible headache and an irregular heartbeat. If you are really lucky you might go into cardiac arrest but it's prob anymore like for you to just need. Few days of dialysis and diaretics. The right bugger of a headache is because there is a type of amino acid in bananas that can dialate certain blood vessels in the brain..

Edited by MPH

I'm sure he does.

Having an atlas facilitates that; before going anywhere, I encourage my daughter to look at maps, and to research the country, something I've always done myself. It makes for a much better trip.

When I was young, our atlas became a family in-joke. Whenever a distant place was mentioned, I'd say "let's have a look at the atlas, Mum!" - and she'd cringe.

My daughter seems to like maps so far - a tendency I plan to encourage. Have already taken her out into the Leicestershire countryside with an OS map a couple of times.

MC might like to live on the wild side, but a bit of research reduces the risk of a sudden nasty end. 25 years ago, when I traveled through Latin America, I knew which areas of Colombia to go to and which to avoid etc.

I still cocked it up on one occasion and took a bus through an area of Peru inhabited by Sendero Luminoso (Shining Path) Maoist guerrillas, inclined to take foreigners off buses and kill them or hold them for ransom, but got away with it - that was a long, long bus ride, hiding on the back seat, heavily dosed up on pisco.

I've just learned the locations of all 50 US states on the Sporcle quiz site, too....still planning to do that American road trip, even if I have to do it on a zimmer frame.

Yeah, I've got a crap load of ordinance survey maps for walks I've never done haha. I've got a load for walks I have done, don't get me wrong, but just owning maps and planning the route is entertaining in itself.

The missus doesn't get it but then I don't get candy crush.

Same here. I have half the country covered with OS maps. Years back, I did manage to walk from the Thames to the Mersey in stages, guided by OS maps, and have done most of the Cornish Coastal Path and Saxon Shore Way (former coast of Kent).

Poor record recently, though: I bought all the OS maps for the Midlands, planning to do a circular walk in stages: Lincoln to Leicester via Peak District, Shropshire, Worcestershire, Warks etc. Spent ages planning it all out, so that each walk could be a day-trip (due to family commitments), but did about 3 stages 5 years ago and have yet to resume it.

• Like 1

Does anybody else like reading the supporter's club forum? I don't know why but I love reading how the yanks and the aussies follow the team.

I've never been on the supporters club forum until you'd mentioned it Webbo. So just went and had a lurk and it's fascinating. Some our our American fans on the West Coast are going to the pub at 4.45am tomorrow morning to watch the Man City game - you gotta love it!  :scarf:

This is probably a stupid question but I don't really know much about gambling.

Is it likely better for the bookies if Man City win the title because more people will have bet on lower odds or if we win the title with not many people backing us but the payouts being bigger,

Basically, do the bookies prefer the favourites to win or the massive underdogs?

Underdogs, the money bet on favourites more than accounts for the odd huge payout.

The answer might be very different for an independent Leicester based bookie though, Mark Jarvis are probably facing huge losses if we do the impossible.