Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Here's one for the grammatically inclined: which one of these is correct in formal writing?

For a two and a half year period prior to this

For a two-and-a-half-year period prior to this

I feel like it's the hyphenated phrase, it just looks wrong for some reason.

Here's one for the grammatically inclined: which one of these is correct in formal writing?

Is there a need for hyphenation? It adds nothing. They are all full words not abbreviated like co or pre. Hyphens should not be over-used. Or overused. 

• Like 2

Guest Kopfkino

Yeah it's the hyphenated one, general rule when writing about time periods is to hyphenate unless plural

Hyphenated - and looks right to me.

"two-and-a-half-year" is a single compound adjective describing the noun "period".

In contrast, it would be "for a period of two and a half years" (no hyphenation), I think.

• Like 1

Is there a need for hyphenation? It adds nothing. They are all full words not abbreviated like co or pre. Hyphens should not be over-used. Or overused. 

You're just a maverick, Ken.

Yeah it's the hyphenated one, general rule when writing about time periods is to hyphenate unless plural

Hyphenated - and looks right to me.

"two-and-a-half-year" is a single compound adjective describing the noun "period".

In contrast, it would be "for a period of two and a half years" (no hyphenation), I think.

Cheers guys. That's along the lines I was thinking Alf, you hyphenate when it's used as an adjective.

You're just a maverick, Ken.

Cheers guys. That's along the lines I was thinking Alf, you hyphenate when it's used as an adjective.

To be fair to Ken, linguistic rules are made to be bent and broken in the interests of self-expression:

https://qwiklit.com/2014/03/05/top-10-authors-who-ignored-the-basic-rules-of-punctuation/

If ignoring the basic rules of punctuation is good enough for Joyce, as arguably the greatest writer in the English language, it's good enough for the likes of us!  :thumbup:

Fif definitely has alternate accounts here though, I think Molly was Fif.

I don't think so but it's hard to know for sure. I always assumed Molly was a school girl.

There are a couple of posters on here I suspect of being Moose.