Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

I'm thinking of buying one.

What is your opiion of them?

I've had one for about 18 months and really like mine. Battery life is good and screen is very good for films and that, also do a lot of ms office work which is easy to convert if you need to open it on a windows computer later. Personally think it's worth the money. Barely use my tv or ipad anymore because of it. Not sure about any of the detailed spec or whatever but find it faster and less prone to crashes than windows, although kodi does freeze sometimes.
  • Like 1

I've had one for about 18 months and really like mine. Battery life is good and screen is very good for films and that, also do a lot of ms office work which is easy to convert if you need to open it on a windows computer later. Personally think it's worth the money. Barely use my tv or ipad anymore because of it. Not sure about any of the detailed spec or whatever but find it faster and less prone to crashes than windows, although kodi does freeze sometimes.

Thanks, Dan.

I've read all the reviews, I just wanted to hear a more personal opinion.

Should I tell my employer that one of my colleagues has got an anxiety disorder (which he revealed to me, but reluctant to tell employer)?

He does the job well but he stresses about what others think about him and struggles when things get onto of him.

No but I'd encourage him to discuss it with the employer if it's affecting his work.

The other day I got my camera out ready for the parade. Charged the batteries up and then found that  it isn't working. Even plugging into the mains there is nothing. Does not turm on. Have had it 4/5 years and it is a Nikon. Can't remember the exact model. I am thinking that it may cost more to reply than a new one but it could also be something simple.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I don't really want to pay out for a new one but if I did I would be willing to go up to the £200 price range. It is a fixed lens and thinking interchangeable even though better would push the price up.

The  one I have is a Coolpix bridge. Not sure of the range model but I expect it is discontinued now.  Thought it was Lumix but they are Panasonic.

Edited by Rincewind

Just been researching as someone said lithium batteries die if not used. Read a forum with tech chemistry stuff

Never knew batteries were so complicated. Has anyone else heard this about batteries?

That was my first instinct looking at your post.

What it may be worth doing is taking it to a Camera shop that offered trade in - that way you could get a opinion on the problem (they may even be able to lend you a battery to see if that was the problem) and put yourself in a better position to decide whether to go repair / retain route or go for a new one (with hopefully some money off for your existing Camera.

Sadly the key bit of advice I can't give you is whether such a shop exists in Leicester!

If you do find one, search for your Camera make and model on eBay to get an idea of a potential resale price so you can judge whether the trade in price might be fair (key thing would be not to mention trade in before having a go at establishing if a fix is possible - strengthens your hand if you know it's easily fixed by putting in a new battery!)

I do not know of any shops either. I am not  great at the sort of thing you mention. The sales talk may take me in. Not sure if there would be a shop that would look at it for a low price or free. What I cannot understand is that I have also plugged it into the mains and get nothing. That should not affect the battery? The camera has been idle in a corner of my kitchen since the last time it was used. The temperature I would say is average. It in its case so that should protect it. Whether the battery compartment has been affected I cannot tell. It will not be easy to get to anyway.

If It is beyond repair I was thinking of a similar model as I have a charger batteries case etc but if a part exchange maybe those may be part of the deal. I do not want to buy new accessories. I cannot see the model number on the camera but the battery has a few listed it is suited for so If I look on Ebay I may recognise it. I only know it is a Koolpix bridge camera.

Edited by Rincewind

Cameras don't run on the mains, that is only to charge the battery. It will be the battery. Order a replacement on Amazon, they are cheap.

Yes you may be right. You can charge one that is in the camera as I recall. I still have the Amazon receipt from the last one I bought although that was the one that was a tight fit. Made for the same model yet their is a slight difference in the thickness. Minute but enough not easy to remove.

If they are cheap I will not lose much. Did a search earlier and they still have them.

The Nikon ones are £26. The Duracell £7.00. They also have them in Curry's. Could try there first. St georhes is not too far from me. If it works I will get a spare.

Recycle the old ones. They make  new ones out of them. Interesting how they work if anyone understands the chemistry involved.

Found the model P520. Amazon have got two Top Max batteries  for £7.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EN-EL5-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-Coolpix/dp/B00ZIDK1EO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1463523289&sr=8-5&keywords=nikon+battery+en+el5

Don't know whether to go in Curry's anyway and if theirs work then I'll order the twin pack. Do they have any tech people in store besides salesmen?

Edited by Rincewind

How does Barbara Windsor look so good for a woman who will be 79 next birthday ..... My mate says between 1 and 10 he'd definitely give her 1 ..... But then again he says that about most woman .....

Not a lot of people know that. Barbara took the name Windsor in 1953 after being inspired by the Queens coronation.

How does Barbara Windsor look so good for a woman who will be 79 next birthday ..... My mate says between 1 and 10 he'd definitely give her 1 ..... But then again he says that about most woman .....

Not a lot of people know that. Barbara took the name Windsor in 1953 after being inspired by the Queens coronation.

Your mate...... right.

You dirty old man. :D

I read yesterday that the Carry On films are going to make a comeback, perhaps Babs could re-create that classic scene with Dr Nookie...

ee7fe3bf8dc6e44e7affe8ae1297fbe1.jpg

I read yesterday that the Carry On films are going to make a comeback, perhaps Babs could re-create that classic scene with Dr Nookie...

ee7fe3bf8dc6e44e7affe8ae1297fbe1.jpg

I .... Sorry I mean my mate .... Hopes so.

Your mate...... right.

You dirty old man. :D

Clever boy !

Is it true that if you are drink driving (obviously I don't do this or condone it) and a police car tries to pull you over, you can pull onto your drive and run into your house. The police officer can't force entry into your house to breathalyse you or demand that you exit the house. Essentially you can get away with it. 

Is it true that if you are drink driving (obviously I don't do this or condone it) and a police car tries to pull you over, you can pull onto your drive and run into your house. The police officer can't force entry into your house to breathalyse you or demand that you exit the house. Essentially you can get away with it. 

Give it a go Dennis and let me know how you get on    :)

I start my new job on the 31st, it's my first full time job so it's the first time I've really had to deal with booking holiday off etc. It says in my contract that I need to arrange holiday at least 4 weeks before, but from when I start I need to book half a day about two weeks in to working there and then I need to book a few days off in July as well.

Has anyone had any expeirence of companies being funny about booking time off so soon in to starting a new job? Should I just let them know on my first day and ask about it then, or should I email somebody there now and explain to them that I need to book some time off after I start?

I don't want to look like a dick asking for days off after starting so soon but it's stuff I've had planned for months and two days in July will be for my graduation so I'm just hoping they understand. 

I start my new job on the 31st, it's my first full time job so it's the first time I've really had to deal with booking holiday off etc. It says in my contract that I need to arrange holiday at least 4 weeks before, but from when I start I need to book half a day about two weeks in to working there and then I need to book a few days off in July as well.

Has anyone had any expeirence of companies being funny about booking time off so soon in to starting a new job? Should I just let them know on my first day and ask about it then, or should I email somebody there now and explain to them that I need to book some time off after I start?

I don't want to look like a dick asking for days off after starting so soon but it's stuff I've had planned for months and two days in July will be for my graduation so I'm just hoping they understand. 

Best to sort out at the interview stage but for now let them know as soon as you can and put it over 'nicely'....   face to face or over the phone would be better than email.

• Like 1

Best to sort out at the interview stage but for now let them know as soon as you can and put it over 'nicely'....   face to face or over the phone would be better than email.

this and if they deny it get out of there as they are clearly ***** 

• Like 1

Have felt quite dizzy and shaky during certain periods of the day.

Have eaten and drank well but tends to happen in humidity.

Any advice please?

Do you have these symptoms until you eat or if you haven't eaten for several hours? Do you have breakfast?

Might be worth keeping a record of times when this happens and if persistent despite eating and drinking well, seeing your GP.