Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Why is Londonderry called Derry and vice versa?

Foxy could tell you better than me but the 'London' bit was dropped officially because it offended the Nationalists.

Edited by Webbo

Why is Londonderry called Derry and vice versa?

As far as i can remember it was originally called Derry but after the war between James I and William of Orange it was rebuilt/ bought with the help of money from traders from London hence Londonderry. The naming therefore became a political act and due to that most Catholics call it Derry as that was it's original name while most Protestants will call it by its official name of Londonderry.

As far as i can remember it was originally called Derry but after the war between James I and William of Orange it was rebuilt/ bought with the help of money from traders from London hence Londonderry. The naming therefore became a political act and due to that most Catholics call it Derry as that was it's original name while most Protestants will call it by its official name of Londonderry.

Cheers for that :thumbup:

In a way, I hope Nick Griffin lives forever, because whilst he breathes the BNP are a laughing stock.

It'd be scary if somebody with half a brain led the 'party' - though to be fair, having half a brain is a pre-requisite in holding such values.

Err, hold on isn't lav right?

It's not after C so why is not Liecester rather than Leicester?

I thought that at the time. Anyway according to QI it's a load of rubbish anyway as there are nearly as many words spelt one way as the other.

Ok, just to clarify (and Stan, the words you quoted were following the rule, you muppet!) :doh:

Yes, the rule is pretty shite because there are so many exceptions, to make it more accuarate (but still not foolproof) think of it as this:

'I' before 'e' except after 'c.' And 'weird' doesn't count because it's just that - weird.

and...

'i' before 'e' except after 'c', or in 'eigh' as in 'neighbour' and 'weigh'.

Some of the most widely-used words that break the standard 'i' before 'e' except after 'c' rule are: science, ancient, society, beige, foreign, etc.