Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Was listening to my iPod as usual on my way into uni earlier and was wondering, how cold would it have to be for it to stop working?

Thought about this with my SLR camera the other day too when I got to the point of not being able to take photos because of numb fingers. Genuinely interested to see if anyone knows..?

I sold an iPod on eBay and mistakenly put the wrong 'generation' on the advert (I made it look newer than it was). Understandably, the guy that bought it was less than pleased so I offered him a full refund PLUS the cost of postage to him for him to return it to me.

Was all very amicable in the e-mails but now he has ruined my unblemished record and given me my first negative feedback. Even though there has been NO COST to him,

How can this be fair??

(I have now politely informed him that he will get his refund but at a rate of £1 per month until the amount is paid off...)

Well because you were technically false advertising.

Was listening to my iPod as usual on my way into uni earlier and was wondering, how cold would it have to be for it to stop working?

Thought about this with my SLR camera the other day too when I got to the point of not being able to take photos because of numb fingers. Genuinely interested to see if anyone knows..?

What make of iPod (and SLR camera) is it?

Typed in iPod environmental requirements in to Google and got to this page:

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html

Scroll down about half way and Env. reqs. are there :thumbup:. Should give you some guideline, I hope!

Well because you were technically false advertising.

True, but he took my offer of the refund and has not lost out - eBay is always banging on about open communications between buyer and seller and I admit that there is a risk in any eBay deal.

But I was open and honest with him - I made a mistake, rectified it at my own cost and at absolutely NO cost to him.

I have bought mis-sold items and damaged item before but have contacted the sellers and they have always resolved it to my satisfaction and thus have received positive feedback.

I know "technically" I was in the wrong but bugger me, It's not like I hand delivered a turd in a bag and shagged his wife whilst I was at it...

Perhaps I am too nice in my feedback giving and perhaps I am alone in thinking that my genuine error did not warrant him ruining my perfect record?

Just got a new modem and its wireless enabled. I cant seem to connect my laptop. Its asking for a network key or WAP or WPA

The one i am trying to connect to has the same number on the back of the modem. cant see anything that says wap or wpa on the modem there is a number but nothing happened when i entered it other than the connection has automatic now.

could it be the firewall?

Just got a new modem and its wireless enabled. I cant seem to connect my laptop. Its asking for a network key or WAP or WPA

The one i am trying to connect to has the same number on the back of the modem. cant see anything that says wap or wpa on the modem there is a number but nothing happened when i entered it other than the connection has automatic now.

could it be the firewall?

The network key is usually on the back of your router or modem.

No its Virgin. The blokes just been to install it. He said I should be able to connect with my other laptops. Its normally a password. Tried turning the firewall off.. I'm sure I got the right number. Theres a device name for the modem with a password then my admin and password.

Strange. Went tob set up my wireless connection on my other laptop and it wouldnt accept the code I put in on my other one but it accepted the numbers I tried to start with. and the log in was different. Noy used this one for a long time. I was setting it up so to see if I could get a connection in my bedroom. If I can I#ll leave it there.

Got all updates now on it and it needs to reboot.

If a man (Felix Baumgartner) jumps out of a balloon from 23 miles up , can he break the sound barrier due to gravity alone ?

Someone on tv just said he might :o

No, he'd reach a terminal velocity long before that. Physicists on here might be able to give you an approximate speed at which this would happen.

EDIT: Approx. 125mph.

Edited by BornBlue

No, he'd reach a terminal velocity long before that. Physicists on here might be able to give you an approximate speed at which this would happen.

EDIT: Approx. 125mph.

Actually, I just read this, which implies it might be possible if you piss around with physics:

During the late 1950s, Captain Joseph Kittinger of the United States was assigned to the Aerospace Medical Research Laboratories at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio. For Project Excelsior (meaning "ever upward", a name given to the project by Colonel John Stapp), as part of research into high altitude bailout, he made a series of three parachute jumps wearing a pressurized suit, from a helium balloon with an open gondola.

The first, from 76,400 feet (23,290 m) in November, 1959 was a near tragedy when an equipment malfunction caused him to lose consciousness, but the automatic parachute saved him (he went into a flat spin at a rotational velocity of 120 rpm; the g-force at his extremities was calculated to be over 22 times that of gravity, setting another record). Three weeks later he jumped again from 74,700 feet (22,770 m). For that return jump Kittinger was awarded the A. Leo Stevens parachute medal.

On August 16, 1960 he made the final jump from the Excelsior III at 102,800 feet (31,330 m). Towing a small drogue chute for stabilization, he fell for 4 minutes and 36 seconds reaching a maximum speed of 614 mph (988 km/h) [1] before opening his parachute at 14,000 feet (4,270 m). Pressurization for his right glove malfunctioned during the ascent, and his right hand swelled to twice its normal size.[3] He set records for highest balloon ascent, highest parachute jump, longest drogue-fall (4 min), and fastest speed by a human through the atmosphere.[4]

The jumps were made in a "rocking-chair" position, descending on his back, rather than the usual arch familiar to skydivers, because he was wearing a 60-lb "kit" on his behind and his pressure suit naturally formed that shape when inflated, a shape appropriate for sitting in an airplane cockpit.

If a man (Felix Baumgartner) jumps out of a balloon from 23 miles up , can he break the sound barrier due to gravity alone ?

Someone on tv just said he might :o

He could fake it by blowing a balloon up while plummeting and bursting it with a drawing pin which could be concealed in the top pocket of his jump suit, thus recreating the sonic boom...

• Like 1

He could fake it by blowing a balloon up while plummeting and bursting it with a drawing pin which could be concealed in the top pocket of his jump suit, thus recreating the sonic boom...

lol

that should go int the viz top tips thread

drivers !!

pretend to be breaking the sound barrier as you overtake cars on the motorway by puncturing a big concealed balloon with a knitting needle

lol

that should go int the viz top tips thread

drivers !!

pretend to be breaking the sound barrier as you overtake cars on the motorway by puncturing a big concealed balloon with a knitting needle

I`m waiting for a hands free balloon puncturing kit to show up on dragons den.. :D

Edited by WTF BBQ

Those get paid for doing online surveys, are they legit or just a con?

Only a lot seem to be popping up on websites while I'm looking for a job.

Some are legit. I used to go on valuedopinions a fair bit. Surveys varied from 50p to £5 each time. Every £10 you'd get an online voucher for various places (Argos, HMV, Tesco, Amazon). Pretty good.

Those get paid for doing online surveys, are they legit or just a con?

Only a lot seem to be popping up on websites while I'm looking for a job.

I do valuedopinions. Last year I got £100 quids worth of Amazon vouchers over the course of the year.

You sometimes get free samples too.

Edited by Webbo

I signed up for a couple but I only get through the profile section and told I did not qualify or did not fit what they wanted. I also tried the above one but I would prefer the cash to the vouchers. I do not want to buy more stuff. Maybe I could always resell.