Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Why are women so obsessed with shoes ?

It can’t be anything to do with attracting men because even the dumbest bint must realise that shoes are the last thing a man looks at or even notices .

I have a theory about this:

Most women are obsessed with shoes because all other women are, so they think that they should be too.

Edited by BornBlue

Right, two genuine questions:

If I paint over surface mould on a wall, will it come though?

Why is some of my grass a bit yellow and dead looking at this time of year?

The mould will come back through ( presumably you have this problem in a damp room such as a bathroom) so it is best to buy some mould and mildew remover and try and get as much off as you can , then paint affected wall ( or ceiling ) with an anti mould paint which is available from places like BQ and it's supposed to last about 6 years , but we've only just done this so cannot vouch for it. It may be best if you use a dehumidifier too if you have a lot of dampness in the room.

edit; maybe Webbo has some tradesmen's tricks he may wish to share regarding this .

Maybe you've got some sort of wildlife ( foxes etc) pissing in your garden .

Edited by Zingari

Right, two genuine questions:

Paint over surface mould on a wall, will it come though?

Depends on the cause, if you have damp coming through the wall the mould will return until the source of the damp is cured. If it's (more likely) mildew caused my condensation you can buy anti mildew paint which should do the trick;

perma-white_interior.jpg

Dulux decorator centre sell it for around £50 for 5litres, they can tint it to a wide range of colours.

Wash the walls down with diluted bleach before you paint.

Edited by Webbo

Cheers gents.

Yeah, it's surface mould from condensation from the bathroom. I've bought some mould-resistant paint.

Any tricks for getting it off? Or just mildew cleaner and elbow grease?

I part bleach,i.e domestos ,4 parts water. Give it a bit of a scrub.

• 3 weeks later...

Why has rugby not taken off in Northern Europe like it has in Southern Europe? You'd think that with bigger people and soft pitches it would be more suited to Holland or Germany than Italy or France.

Why has rugby not taken off in Northern Europe like it has in Southern Europe? You'd think that with bigger people and soft pitches it would be more suited to Holland or Germany than Italy or France.

I think its to do with where ex-pat Brits have taken up residence in the past and started clubs. Southern France and Italy being popular destinations. It's usually something like that. Also Rugby was very much a class game years ago, whereas football wasn't. It was also late going professional as a sport.

Edited by 21st Century Fox

I don’t know much about astronomy and that, so this is probably a really dumb question.

If you look westward into the night sky tonight the reversed C shaped moon looks to be really low in the sky.

Is it normally this low ?

I don’t know much about astronomy and that, so this is probably a really dumb question.

If you look westward into the night sky tonight the reversed C shaped moon looks to be really low in the sky.

Saw it. It was one of those WOW moments that come around every few years.

http://earthsky.org/tonight

It's like the closest it will be for the year i think. Also should be able to see Jupiter & Venus apparently.

Unfortunately it's very cloudy in Norfolk and i have an east facing window so i cant be arsed to move rooms.

Edited by Jackirius

Did leicester have a tram line in the early 1900s??

Just found these picture on wiki when i was doing some leicester based web searching.

_50127052_dsc_0200.jpg

800px-Midland_Railway_Station%2C_Leicester%2C_1908.jpg

The amount of time i've spent right there waiting for a bus... amazing how different it looked (other than the train station)

Edited by Gold Coast Fox

Did leicester have a tram line in the early 1900s?? Just found these picture on wiki when i was doing some leicester based web searching. _50127052_dsc_0200.jpg800px-Midland_Railway_Station%2C_Leicester%2C_1908.jpg The amount of time i've spent right there waiting for a bus... amazing how different it looked (other than the train station)

I used to teach at Leicester College (the old Charles Keene) and the original main building at Abbey Park campus used to be the tram station. The cellar still has all the water pipes, or at least it used to. I think the place has been redeveloped.

I watched a documentary about the Falklands War earlier and they were talking about how bayonets were used in battle.

Now, this is something I've never understood. Why would you ever use a bayonet? Surely, as a soldier, you'd be better off shooting at your enemy from yards away than running at them. Conversely, if some chump was running at you with his bayonet fixed, you'd (at least try to) shoot at him before he got close.

Obviously, if you've run out of ammunition then it make sense. But, that aside, are there any military who'd care to explain?

I watched a documentary about the Falklands War earlier and they were talking about how bayonets were used in battle.

Now, this is something I've never understood. Why would you ever use a bayonet? Surely, as a soldier, you'd be better off shooting at your enemy from yards away than running at them. Conversely, if some chump was running at you with his bayonet fixed, you'd (at least try to) shoot at him before he got close.

Obviously, if you've run out of ammunition then it make sense. But, that aside, are there any military who'd care to explain?

I'm no expert on this but I'd guess it's a psychological thing as well. You're meant to charge in large numbers with bayonets making a fair amount of noise, this must shock opponents, move them on or when you get close obviously injure them. It's just a guess, and obviously if you've got no ammo it's pretty handy.

I also read recently that they used bayonets in Iraq on occasion and in Afghan in 06 or sometime around then and it worked slightly. I read that one guy got a medal for his actions during a bayonet charge too.