Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

I watched a documentary about the Falklands War earlier and they were talking about how bayonets were used in battle.

Now, this is something I've never understood. Why would you ever use a bayonet? Surely, as a soldier, you'd be better off shooting at your enemy from yards away than running at them. Conversely, if some chump was running at you with his bayonet fixed, you'd (at least try to) shoot at him before he got close.

Obviously, if you've run out of ammunition then it make sense. But, that aside, are there any military who'd care to explain?

I as well know nothing of actual facts but I'd take a stab at (pun very much intended)...

a) Out of ammunition/weapon jamming

b) The rifles barrells would have been long so hard to fire in close quarters

c) Wikipedia says something about a Bayonet Charge where by the attackers would charge in formation at large groups of infantry.

Just another alternative I guess.

I know some one who does re-enactments of Bosworth Field battle I imagine they would just get amongst the enemy and stab anyone around them. Some swung axes and spikey balls which must have hurt if hit by one.

I mean the real thing not the re-enactment.

I watched a documentary about the Falklands War earlier and they were talking about how bayonets were used in battle.

Now, this is something I've never understood. Why would you ever use a bayonet? Surely, as a soldier, you'd be better off shooting at your enemy from yards away than running at them. Conversely, if some chump was running at you with his bayonet fixed, you'd (at least try to) shoot at him before he got close.

Obviously, if you've run out of ammunition then it make sense. But, that aside, are there any military who'd care to explain?

I guess they originally came on weapons that required a mechanical reload/cocking which obviously takes time and is quite hard to do when someone is on top of you, now with modern automatic weapons you don't have that problem. It is also quite hard to run and fire, and also harder to hit a moving target, so in a bayonet charge, or if you are running for cover, you have a weapon to hand without having to think and can use without stopping, but then as soon as you reach cover you have your rifle to hand to provide cover.

I guess if you give me a choice of a rifle without a fvck off sharp knife on the front and one with I know which one I would choose.

Similarly, in 2009, Lieutenant James Adamson, aged 24, of the Royal Regiment of Scotland was awarded the Military Cross for a bayonet charge whilst on a tour of duty in Afghanistan: after shooting one Taliban fighter dead Adamson had run out of ammunition when another enemy appeared. Adamson immediately charged the second Taliban fighter and bayoneted him.
Edited by Captain Shrapnel

The use of the bayonet in close combat today is largely as a psycological weapon, a bayonet charge by a large unit accompanied by grenade assault and alot of screaming and shouting is an unpleasant thing to face, you know if they reach you you face a pretty horrible outcome. It also has practical use in hand to hand combat where ammo is low or a rifle jams. It gives you another option. The bayonet also has some functional use as a knife although many soldiers carry an ugly knife as part of their standard battle kit. Current British Army SA80 A2 does have a bayonet option but increasing numbers of these in Afghanistan are having Under-Slung Grenade Launchers fitted which preclude the attachment of the bayonet. Bayonet drill is still very much part of the British Army Basic Training Program.

Could someone who understands competitive cycling explain to me why it is Team GB must "pick" between Kenny and Hoy? I read that it was due to a "rule change" but not specifically why, I can't imagine Jamaica being asked to only register one sprinter.

Could someone who understands competitive cycling explain to me why it is Team GB must "pick" between Kenny and Hoy? I read that it was due to a "rule change" but not specifically why, I can't imagine Jamaica being asked to only register one sprinter.

This might clear things up.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/04/09/hoy-slams-one-rider-rule-at-olympics/

I remember someone telling me exactly why when I went to a training event, but If I try to explain it I'll end up confusing you!

No idea mate. Perhaps make competition fairer so that ore countries have a shot at medals?

That's ****ing bollocks, it's not a team sport.

If the best athletes in the world all happen to be from the same country then so be it.

I know there's some limitations in place in other disciplines, taking my earlier example of Jamaica and sprinters I think they're allowed three runners in the 100m for example. Hence they hold qualifiers.

But ONE cyclist!?

That's ****ing bollocks, it's not a team sport.

If the best athletes in the world all happen to be from the same country then so be it.

I know there's some limitations in place in other disciplines, taking my earlier example of Jamaica and sprinters I think they're allowed three runners in the 100m for example. Hence they hold qualifiers.

But ONE cyclist!?

One cyclist in each event I think. It's a crap rule, I agree. If you're the best at what you do, then you should be allowed to show it on the biggest world stage of them all, regardless if the second or third best is also from the same country.

Does anyone know of anything that calm the nerves? (Other than diazepam... they don't help me much)

I have a major fear of flying and I'm only a few months away from the flight home. When on the flight to England, I was sick the whole way... always because I'm on the boarder of a panic attack.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :thumbup:

'Don't fly' Just to get that suggestion out the way.

Edited by Gold Coast Fox

Does anyone know of anything that calm the nerves? (Other than diazepam... they don't help me much)

I have a major fear of flying and I'm only a few months away from the flight home. When on the flight to England, I was sick the whole way... always because I'm on the boarder of a panic attack.

There's something called Rescue Remedy that you can get as drops or mouth spray, pretty mild but not bad.

Beta Blockers can be used for to reduce the symptoms of anxiety. Not sure where you'd get them from though, they're usually given to people with heart conditions.

• Like 1

Alcohol? Or will that make you worse?

I can give you some rational reasons why you shouldn't be scared if you like?

• Like 1

Beta Blockers reduce stress and adrenaline, can't remember if GP's prescribe them or not. Best bet is to go ask your doc.

• Like 1

The fact it is on your mind now means you have probably got it bad, have you tried speaking to a pschologyist?

http://www.fearfreeflying.co.uk/ may help, it mentions hypnotherapy too, maybe you could try and build yourself up to it by taking someone special to Paris for the weekend, you could fly out and then get the train back.

Personally I would try all alternative cures before taking any pills.

• Like 1

As someone already mentioned, Bach Rescue Remedy is worth a try. Whether it's 'strong' enough to overcome your fears though, I don't know. I'd see a doctor well ahead of time and ask their advice.

Rescue Remedy is a load of pseudo-science bollocks and will offer no genuine benefits unless you are easily suckered by placebos. You might as well pop a magic sugar cube in your mouth and sprinkle pixie dust.

Beta blockers take time to build up within the body so a couple on the morning of the flight won't work.

I struggle to understand how diazepam doesn't work for you unless you have been taking it for a long time or you have taken small doses. It's usual to be on 6mg per day. If you are coming to it fresh then 6mg of the stuff in one hit will have you blissed out for the flight - if you a large or have a constitution which rapidly clears your system you may wish to play with the idea of taking another 4mg when on the flight if needs be.

As has been said GCF, go see your doc.