Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

No control.

If my car breaks down, I just get out but if the plane has a problem... well then its game over :(

You see I find that reassuring, when I'm driving especially with passengers I get much more nervous about the possibilities that could happen, because anything that did happen would be my fault, even if it wasn't, whereas in a plane or on a train there is nothing you can do about it, or anything, I find it relaxing, if you're late you're late, you can't get lost, you can't get stopped for speeding.

I honestly find flying more relaxing, which is weird as I am a bit of a control freak, but maybe that is why, it is out of my hands so there is nothing I can get worked up about, if in the unlikely event something does go wrong then that's just life, it could happen anywhere doing anything.

Airports on the other hand do my head in but that is a different rant.

Edited by Captain Shrapnel

No control.

If my car breaks down, I just get out but if the plane has a problem... well then its game over :(

Some points of genuine reassurance:

1) Flying is not unnatural. An aeroplane's wing generates vast amounts of lift due to physics no less valid than those which keep cars on the road. A plane wants to fly.

2) Planes don't generally just drop out the sky. Even if (and the chances are incredibly remote) all of the plane's engines fail, they can glide for absolutely miles, like a car coasting to a stop.

3) No you're not in control, but the plane is in the control of a team of skilled aviators, backed up by countless safety and failsafe systems. You're no less in control than on a train or bus, but flying is a lot safer.

4) There's nothing to crash into in the sky.

5) It is by far the safest way to travel.

Planes will glide but the likelihood of all engines failing and not restarting at all is nearly impossible. Of course it depends on the pilot staying calm, but you rarely get a plane crash which is mechanical error is solely responsible, most of the time the aircraft should deal with it but the pilot panics.

The amount of aircraft that have emergencies everyday is more than you think but the crew know how to deal with it and it rarely happens far from an airport. Look on the internet for the amount of squawk 7700 there are a day and rarely does anything come of them.

You'll never have a crash in mid-air if ATC and Pilots do their job. Vertical separation at cruising altitude is 2000 feet and the Horizontal separation should this be infringed horizontal separation is around 9km

Presumably as you're flying to Australia and stopping in Dubai its more than likely you're travelling on an A340 (dependant on your airline) which has an excellent afety record with no loss of life in its 20 year history. Now you might be travelling on something different I don't know but the A340 seems most likely.

And you're most likely to crash in the first 3 minutes or last 7 of a flight. This is the best time as you're altitude and speed are less and the emergency services are close by.

Planes will glide but the likelihood of all engines failing and not restarting at all is nearly impossible. Of course it depends on the pilot staying calm, but you rarely get a plane crash which is mechanical error is solely responsible, most of the time the aircraft should deal with it but the pilot panics.

The amount of aircraft that have emergencies everyday is more than you think but the crew know how to deal with it and it rarely happens far from an airport. Look on the internet for the amount of squawk 7700 there are a day and rarely does anything come of them.

You'll never have a crash in mid-air if ATC and Pilots do their job. Vertical separation at cruising altitude is 2000 feet and the Horizontal separation should this be infringed horizontal separation is around 9km

Presumably as you're flying to Australia and stopping in Dubai its more than likely you're travelling on an A340 (dependant on your airline) which has an excellent afety record with no loss of life in its 20 year history. Now you might be travelling on something different I don't know but the A340 seems most likely.

And you're most likely to crash in the first 3 minutes or last 7 of a flight. This is the best time as you're altitude and speed are less and the emergency services are close by.

Airbus - a380 for the first leg. Boeing - 777-300er for the second leg.

I'm producing a campaign about a current global issue but I'm unsure what to do it on. I thought about goal-line tech, the war in Iraq and whether neighbourhood watch volunteers are good or bad (george zimmerman).

Has anyone got any ideas?

I'm producing a campaign about a current global issue but I'm unsure what to do it on. I thought about goal-line tech, the war in Iraq and whether neighbourhood watch volunteers are good or bad (george zimmerman).

Has anyone done anything about child soldiers in Africa yet?

Has anyone done anything about child soldiers in Africa yet?

I don't think anyone has actually. I'm only brainstorming at the minute but I'll keep that in mind as it's something that'd definitely keep me interested whilst working on it. Cheers!

Combine all three. Goal line technology in Iraqi neighbourhood watch volunteer games.

I'd be inclined to do it about fresh drinking water , because I think it will be the biggest single problem to face the world in the next few years

here's a site you might find interesting to start with

http://www.un.org/en/globalissues/water/

Does anyone know of anything that calm the nerves? (Other than diazepam... they don't help me much)

I have a major fear of flying and I'm only a few months away from the flight home. When on the flight to England, I was sick the whole way... always because I'm on the boarder of a panic attack.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :thumbup:

'Don't fly' Just to get that suggestion out the way.

I'm in the same position, flying to new zealand and back in the summer. Both have to change twice and the total flying time is something ridiculous. One of the flights is by some dodgy Jetstar Airways aswell when I thought it was Qantas so that's stressed me out. I just wish I could get something which would send me unconscious for the whole of both flights.

Safety of Breast implants.

Not sure if it'll be interesting but the research will be fantastic.

You need something that cannot be argued against. Goal line tech some will say it takes the fun and luck out of the game. Neighbourhood watch is usually a good idea but it can attract nutters and vigilantes or will turn out worse than the people you are trying to stop.

Water shortage seems a good one. Everyone needs fresh water and would rather the water they drank be clean.

Cheers for all the suggestions. I'm swaying towards Nuclear weapons now because that'll branch off into a lot of other areas and I'd be able to include current affairs such as North Korea.

That could be too much of a handful for a young fella

lol

You need something that cannot be argued against. Goal line tech some will say it takes the fun and luck out of the game. Neighbourhood watch is usually a good idea but it can attract nutters and vigilantes or will turn out worse than the people you are trying to stop.

Water shortage seems a good one. Everyone needs fresh water and would rather the water they drank be clean.

Yeah, I thought the original 3 I mentioned weren't really good enough to do a whole project on. Goal-line tech and Neighbourhood watch aren't really proper global issues, and I can imagine I'd get bored doing something on the Iraqi war, plus it'd be very easy to go off topic.

As much as i'd love to do it on breast implants as well, I think i'll give it a miss! Cheers anyway FIF :D

Plus, if you survive the crash (unlikely I know but just roll with it)...you've feasted on the toasted remains of Carole from Queensland (avoid the breast, I had cow udder once and it's bloody disgusting) - now's the time to sit back and take in the surroundings of a place you'd never otherwise have visited. Brilliant, eh?!

A place off the flightpath, full of dangerous creatures and needing you to use those shelter-building skills you haven't quite yet honed.

Just think how exciting your day2day fight for survival will be. It will be just like that film with Tom Hanks only a fvck sight more dangerous.

Of course I'm only just messing :D This will never happen to you - you'll plummet into the sea and spend your days rapidly dehydrating, hallucinating and having limbs ripped off by sharks.

lol lol !!!!

Cheers for all the suggestions. I'm swaying towards Nuclear weapons now because that'll branch off into a lot of other areas and I'd be able to include current affairs such as North Korea.

Breast implants would branch off into other things too. :P

Airbus - a380 for the first leg. Boeing - 777-300er for the second leg.

Lap of luxury on the A380, not had a major accident apart from the engine fire but there are many problems with them. Just thought Id say.

The 777-300ER is an improved version of the 300 and was made safer and stronger. It was considered the safest ever until the mess at heathrow a few years ago. Theres been 1 fatality involving a 777 but that was a refueling error and the refueler suffered fatal burns.

There really will be no problem but I know how you feel and nothing really helps. Presume by the aircraft, and the fact you're stopping in Dubai you're flying Emirates?