Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Here's one for anyone who knows about these things. I've been suffering from horrific, debilitating back pain for around a week now, I do a very labour intensive job and I'm due on for a 13 hour shift tomorrow but I just don't think I'll be able to without absolutely crippling myself. We're short staffed and I'll be leaving other people in it, my boss said 'I don't accept back pain as an excuse not to work, get a doctors note'. That can't be right? He's a total proverbial and I just don't feel up to it, what do I do? 

11 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Here's one for anyone who knows about these things. I've been suffering from horrific, debilitating back pain for around a week now, I do a very labour intensive job and I'm due on for a 13 hour shift tomorrow but I just don't think I'll be able to without absolutely crippling myself. We're short staffed and I'll be leaving other people in it, my boss said 'I don't accept back pain as an excuse not to work, get a doctors note'. That can't be right? He's a total proverbial and I just don't feel up to it, what do I do? 

You can self certify for a week so your boss can't force you to get a note. He sounds like a tool, do you get paid sick leave? 

At the end of the day your health is the most important thing, go in tomorrow and you could do yourself more harm. You should probably see the doctor anyway though, and I definitely wouldn't be going to work tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Test positive and have a little isolation/recovery time?

Seriously - don't compromise your back for your job. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

You can self certify for a week so your boss can't force you to get a note. He sounds like a tool, do you get paid sick leave? 

At the end of the day your health is the most important thing, go in tomorrow and you could do yourself more harm. You should probably see the doctor anyway though, and I definitely wouldn't be going to work tomorrow. 

This. 

Self certify. Tell your boss you're not hurting yourself even worse just because he's short, and you're not coming back until you're right. Then get to the doctors asap (if you can get an appointment) and get a full sick note. 

• Thanks 1

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good windows & door company?

I want to get an idea of how much it would cost to redo our windows and doors but I am hesitant to ask for one of the 'free quotes' mentioned on some of the websites of the usual companies e.g. Safestyle. I know as soon as they have my details their sales people will be on me like a rash with pushy sales techniques (from experience of when I lived at home with my parents - maybe its different now idk!)

Does anyone have any experience of a company who just come and give you a quote, no pressure, and were pretty reasonable?

10 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

If I've bought wine as a Christmas gift how should I store it? Every bottle in the store is upright but I read that they should be on its side so I wonder how long it can be left upright for.

It’ll be absolutely fine upright. Maybe if whoever you give it to is going to keep it for fifty years they should lie it down, but if you’re the kind of person who buys that kind of wine you wouldn’t need to be on here asking if you should lie it down!

So it’ll be fine, don’t worry about it.

On 02/12/2021 at 19:44, Manini said:

No that’s great, thank you. We’re going to wait until Monday, if still nothing, we’ll start enquiring. It’s just all very odd because we never had an issue previously, but I do appreciate the time of year. 

Interesting what you say about when the post arrives though, it did sometimes used to come in the middle of the afternoon, so that’s a good bit of insight. 

Out of interest, did you get your ticket ok?

At least RM are finally fessing up they've got huge delays now.

15 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Out of interest, did you get your ticket ok?

At least RM are finally fessing up they've got huge delays now.

I did thanks mate. It finally turned up on the Monday with the rest of our post with an elastic band round it. I spoke to the postie and asked him, it was as you said, not a proper round yet so having to be delivered as and when, and if there’s nobody to do the overtime then there’s nobody to bring the letters. At least we know now though, and hopefully it sorts itself out as time goes on and we get added to a round/given a proper new round. 

• Like 1

Why are so many kids vegetarian nowadays?

Step-son, 15 and step-daughter, 13, both have friends come and stay round fairly often.

Then ask what's for dinner and when I reply "Mixed Grill", they say... "we'll what are they going to have, they're vegetarian"

For the record, we don't have a mixed grill for dinner, but I feel we should and just give the veggies a tomato, a mushroom and some chips. 

Not slating vegetarians, by the way! 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Step-son, 15 and step-daughter, 13, both have friends come and stay round fairly often.

Then ask what's for dinner and when I reply "Mixed Grill", they say... "we'll what are they going to have, they're vegetarian"

For the record, we don't have a mixed grill for dinner, but I feel we should and just give the veggies a tomato, a mushroom and some chips. 

tumblr_n0kef5lw9H1shmuc3o1_250.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, tom27111 said:

As alluded to above, they're the ones with the biggest stake in the planet's future so it's no surprise to see more of them adapt their behaviour accordingly to give it the best possible chance.  Just a shame everyone before them has done such a great job of tipping the scales against them.

• Like 1

On 06/12/2021 at 19:54, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I've handed my notice in and only got a week left, I might just not go back, everything has been awful for me since I handed my notice in. Just do the self certify thing for 7 days and I'm out of there. 

In the end I decided to see out my last 7 days and just get through it, earned a decent amount to give us more of a cushion over Christmas and can say to myself I saw it through. Now I'm putting my feet up and having a few weeks of enjoying life. 

• Like 2

On 17/12/2021 at 16:44, tom27111 said:

Like the other guys have said I think the younger generation today are a lot more educated in all things about the planet, climate change and even animal cruelty.

When I was growing up (and it wasn't even that long ago) there weren't really any resources or places where you learn about how meat was processed and how animals, bred for meat, were kept.

Now you only have to go on Twitter or on YouTube to find videos of pigs and chickens being kept in horrible conditions. It's all right there and visible if you have even the slightest bit of curiosity and I think that's why a lot of the younger generations now avoid meat when they can.

I eat meat myself and often feel guilty when I see or hear these things but it's not a change I think I can make at the moment, just love a good sausage!

Anyone know the best way of bonding glass to metal? 

My daughter has a glass topped kitchen table which is mounted on a single pedestal base. The glass top has come off and there's no visible means of how it was fixed together. I assume it must have been bonded somehow but there's no residue on either the glass top or the top of the pedestal. The glass is quite heavy and the surface are of the mount is about 4" diameter so not a lot to grip on so will need a strong bond.

I have looked at various ways of fixing it such as Gorilla glue. Just wondering if the FT oracle could provide some answers.