Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

5 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Anyone know the best way of bonding glass to metal? 

My daughter has a glass topped kitchen table which is mounted on a single pedestal base. The glass top has come off and there's no visible means of how it was fixed together. I assume it must have been bonded somehow but there's no residue on either the glass top or the top of the pedestal. The glass is quite heavy and the surface are of the mount is about 4" diameter so not a lot to grip on so will need a strong bond.

I have looked at various ways of fixing it such as Gorilla glue. Just wondering if the FT oracle could provide some answers.

#askstrokes @Strokes

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

My daughter has a glass topped kitchen table which is mounted on a single pedestal base. The glass top has come off and there's no visible means of how it was fixed together. I assume it must have been bonded somehow but there's no residue on either the glass top or the top of the pedestal. The glass is quite heavy and the surface are of the mount is about 4" diameter so not a lot to grip on so will need a strong bond.

I have looked at various ways of fixing it such as Gorilla glue. Just wondering if the FT oracle could provide some answers.

Depends how Good you are at DIY...& Patient with preperation.

Plus I am Not Sure Now of UK Brand names . For UV glue ( Not any super glue) for the bonding.

And Cleaning Liquid acetone for Cleaning Off the old glue/Bonding material from the metal and the glass...

Its difficult over a forum Topic to give instructions, but

There are a few Good YoTube videos that will help you & explain every before/after preperation Step & the end montage...

But some Videos miss out, patience, Steady  hand skills needed. Plus Time needed...between steps. Rush Jobs only give botched Work & finish.

i know & have done it a few times but 10Yrs ago...but also had the material to hand...

My hands are finished for Close Steady work, and shakey...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

It needs an Irish screwdriver:

43538231-hammer-and-nails-on-wood-backgr

4 hours ago, Parafox said:

Have you tried Googling for the table? Any results might also point you in the direction as to how it was secured.

Air source heat pumps, does anyone have experience / knowledge of them? We want to drop our usage of gas totally.

We want to go more eco but solar panels are out (which put a spanner in our idea of an electric boiler) so ASHP seems to only option but it also seems it represents an option to get rid of loads of our tanks that are in our vented systems 

Any advice appreciated!

13 hours ago, FoxyPV said:

Gorilla glue

Is absolute shite. Probably the worst super glue I've ever used. I tried sticking a wooden cupboard door knob back on with some and it wouldn't stick whatsoever. 

I then tried sticking two bits of paper together and it couldn't even do that. 

18 hours ago, Parafox said:

Im no expert but if it was me I'd use clear silicon sealer. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Air source heat pumps, does anyone have experience / knowledge of them? We want to drop our usage of gas totally.

We want to go more eco but solar panels are out (which put a spanner in our idea of an electric boiler) so ASHP seems to only option but it also seems it represents an option to get rid of loads of our tanks that are in our vented systems 

Any advice appreciated!

I was looking at these too but from reading indifferent reviews about performance, I came to the conclusion that the technology is not quite there yet for these.  I'm going to wait for prices to come down and for heat pumps to improve.  

6 minutes ago, murphy said:

I was looking at these too but from reading indifferent reviews about performance, I came to the conclusion that the technology is not quite there yet for these.  I'm going to wait for prices to come down and for heat pumps to improve.  

Yeah, plenty of horror stories, so am being cautious. Seems there are now high temperature heat pumps that fill the temperature difference between gas boiler temperatures and heat pump temperatures via electricity, thus allowing (as is our aim) to ditch gas, then use micro generation to fill some of the electric need.

This also means you can plug in such heat pumps into a standard gas boiler central heating system, which is the ideal.

Still looking as unsure if we need new rads, underfloor heating, etc, not insulation though as that is now top notch.

We looked at getting a heat pump and heat recovery system.

I researched it quite a bit as we were going to self build, and it is the ideal way forward for heating your house and reducing energy consumption and costs. (Friends of ours self built and their energy bills are about £500 a year). 

We then recently bought a hundred year old single skin house with rattly windows, gappy floorboards and a million other ways for heat to escape. 🙄

I went to a load of self build exhibitions, where there are a number of traders showing off their wares and you can see how each one works and see the best one for retro fitting, etc. 

If your insulation is good, then it’s a no brainier to go with some sort of heat pump, imo. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, FoxyPV said:

Gorilla glue

7 hours ago, The Bear said:

Is absolute shite. Probably the worst super glue I've ever used. I tried sticking a wooden cupboard door knob back on with some and it wouldn't stick whatsoever. 

I then tried sticking two bits of paper together and it couldn't even do that. 

See above. Preparation is quite important for it to be a success. I don't know how long it will last, but done the job for now.

Does anyone has any experience of buying a sofa from Sofaology?  Their reviews online are atrocious but I am not sure whether if it is just the case of only those with negative feedback would bother to post reviews.  

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

Does anyone has any experience of buying a sofa from Sofaology?  Their reviews online are atrocious but I am not sure whether if it is just the case of only those with negative feedback would bother to post reviews.  

Bought sofa & chair from their Fosse Park branch, last spring, couldn't fault them. From the salesperson, through to the delivery drivers, everyone was great. Delivery dates & order waiting time was spot on. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steve555 said:

Bought sofa & chair from their Fosse Park branch, last spring, couldn't fault them. From the salesperson, through to the delivery drivers, everyone was great. Delivery dates & order waiting time was spot on. 

Great stuff thanks!  There were some horrid stories from branches nearest to us (we live in Derbyshire) but I don't know whether if reviews were affected by Brexit, COVID and Suez Canal crisis.  

2 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Great stuff thanks!  There were some horrid stories from branches nearest to us (we live in Derbyshire) but I don't know whether if reviews were affected by Brexit, COVID and Suez Canal crisis.  

We ordered just after the shops reopened after lockdown ( Feb/ March) , last year & if my memory is correct they said 12 weeks to delivery & I think it came about a week early.

• Thanks 1

Hi

my wife’s mini has problems starting as it runs out of power to start the engine…. We have a battery pack jump lead so have just used this until I get round to taking it up to epic for a new battery, however, with the milder weather the car has been sparking up first time without the jump leads…

so, what’s the deal here?  Does the battery need replacing or might it be something else that I should investigate?  

Cold weather = not starting

mild weather = starts fine

Cheers!

Edited by Wolfox

On 13/12/2021 at 13:48, lcfc278 said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good windows & door company?

I want to get an idea of how much it would cost to redo our windows and doors but I am hesitant to ask for one of the 'free quotes' mentioned on some of the websites of the usual companies e.g. Safestyle. I know as soon as they have my details their sales people will be on me like a rash with pushy sales techniques (from experience of when I lived at home with my parents - maybe its different now idk!)

Does anyone have any experience of a company who just come and give you a quote, no pressure, and were pretty reasonable?

Ard you in Leicester?

Weve had a new fro t foor and a conservatory from a ST holder who used to post on here.

@Sparky

mark masters.

Brilliant job on both counts and better quotes than the big local firms.

Wouldnt hesitate to recommend him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Why is Virginia Giuffre only suing Prince Andrew in a civil court and not a criminal court? I would have through due to the reason for suit that would come under criminal activity and not a civil one? 

More dollar ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1