Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

21 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

True, I didn’t know if the burden of proof was different in either court. 

I believe that is true.

As I understand it, in a civil case you only have to prove 'balance of probability', as opposed to 'beyond reasonable doubt' in a criminal case.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

Why is Virginia Giuffre only suing Prince Andrew in a civil court and not a criminal court? I would have through due to the reason for suit that would come under criminal activity and not a civil one? 

I don’t think an individual can pursue someone in the criminal court, that is up to the state prosecutor.

• Thanks 1

On 28/12/2021 at 19:07, The Bear said:

Is absolute shite. Probably the worst super glue I've ever used. I tried sticking a wooden cupboard door knob back on with some and it wouldn't stick whatsoever. 

I then tried sticking two bits of paper together and it couldn't even do that. 

On 29/12/2021 at 20:24, The Bear said:

No it was brand new. Thought about sending it back to them. 

Not sure if its the same there..but Gorilla Glue in Oz i not  a "super glue" (instant bond type)... it takes a little while to permanently bond, but is great once it has set.

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

the surname Smith. I've always abbreviated it or nicknamed it to 'Smig'. So, like, the singer Sam Smith I feel compelled to refer to as Sam Smig. Usually turning my Leicester accent up several notches when doing  so

Is that an age thing? A Leicester thing? Or is it just me?

In the strongest Leicester accent possible...SMIGGEH!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Well. We have taken the plunge on an air source heat pump, for anyone interested, will let you know what a fecking waste of money it was/how it goes   :sweating:

I am actually interested in this. My current boiler is 11 years old, and my plumber reckons typical lifespan is only 10

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I am actually interested in this. My current boiler is 11 years old, and my plumber reckons typical lifespan is only 10

Paid the deposit, next step is a site survey, but the initial estimate is done. We have gone for a hybrid ASHP so it can be used to replace into an existing gas boiler heating and hot water system

(This is great as its unvented/pressurised, meaning we can get rid of our endless tanks in the roof space)

Will update as things progress for better/worse

48 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Paid the deposit, next step is a site survey, but the initial estimate is done. We have gone for a hybrid ASHP so it can be used to replace into an existing gas boiler heating and hot water system

(This is great as its unvented/pressurised, meaning we can get rid of our endless tanks in the roof space)

Will update as things progress for better/worse

What actually goes inside the house kit-wise?

It's not going to be for a while, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that I'll be in a position to get a loft conversion, and with the boiler up there at the minute it would be nice to either sort it all in one go, or at least not do each project in a way that makes the other one more difficult if that makes sense

1 hour ago, bovril said:

What supermarkets sell Everards? I'm up for the game and my family would like some local ales brought back. 

Waitrose always used too. 

Best bet I would sat would be the Morisons in town.

If you are up the game the brewery shop would be the easiest thought I reckon.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how much it costs to get a pair of mens brogues re-heeled?

Can't find a thing online.

I spend all day on my feet, so I pay a reasonable amount for my footwear.

Don't want to throw away a decent pair of shoes just because I've worn down the heel.

164159452874974438219077529701.jpg

9 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Does anyone know how much it costs to get a pair of mens brogues re-heeled?

Can't find a thing online.

I spend all day on my feet, so I pay a reasonable amount for my footwear.

Don't want to throw away a decent pair of shoes just because I've worn down the heel.

164159452874974438219077529701.jpg

https://whatsthedamage.net/product/gents-¼-rubber-leather-heels/

• Thanks 1

Over the last few months our bathroom mixer tap has been losing its 'smoothness'. Yesterday I gave it a good squirt with the silicon based wd-40 thinking that would loosen it up again. Unfortunately it's made the tap a lot worse and has really stiffened up. 

Q1 - why has the silicon spray made it worse!?

Q2 - anything else I can try before trying to replace the cartridge? Or tap in entirety. 

Thanks 

5 hours ago, Royston. said:

Is a mobile phone untraceable when immersed in water?

I know a sim card wouldn't be destroyed but could it still be traced?

The SIM card draws power from the phone, so once the phone is off, the SIM card is also rendered inactive.