Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, The Blur said:

I know this may be difficult to answer but is there a possibility of energy bills going down again after the current crisis.  I don't know whether if there is any similar precedents in the history?

Was talking about this to someone at work today. People will get used to paying the inflated prices and that will be the norm. 

• Like 1

Depends on the price of wholesale gas. Generally it goes off that. 

Then again energy companies are losing money due to the current price cap so no doubt they'll push those losses back on to the consumers once the price does eventually stabilise. 

• Like 1

Another question

I moved into a new house few weeks ago and received a text from my neighbour who has been welcoming.  The text was an enquiry to see whether if I would consider cutting down Leylandii cypress tree in my garden as it casts a shadow over a portion of their garden.   

I haven't had a chance to assess the situation fully but I was thinking that if the cutting down of the tree is of no benefit to me apart from maintaining good neighbouring relations but is of benefit for my neighbour, is it fair to suggest that he should finance or provide labour for this task especially that I have lot of other priorities for the new house along with raising a baby?

1 minute ago, The Blur said:

Another question

I moved into a new house few weeks ago and received a text from my neighbour who has been welcoming.  The text was an enquiry to see whether if I would consider cutting down Leylandii cypress tree in my garden as it casts a shadow over a portion of their garden.   

I haven't had a chance to assess the situation fully but I was thinking that if the cutting down of the tree is of no benefit to me apart from maintaining good neighbouring relations but is of benefit for my neighbour, is it fair to suggest that he should finance or provide labour for this task especially that I have lot of other priorities for the new house along with raising a baby?

Seems fair to me. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Another question

Difficult one that.

It's probably been bugging him for years and seen a new neighbour moving in as his opportunity. 

I think I'd go along the lines of saying you're open to the idea, but it's going to cost you. 

Basically put the ball back in his court and see if he makes an offer to cover the cost.

Outright asking him might damage the neighbour relationship.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Another question

We know someone who was quoted over £600 to remove a tree. You could get a quote in and show your neighbour how expensive (probably) it would be and see if he offers to contribute?

As an aside, why text you the request? Strikes me curious that. :huh:

2 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

We know someone who was quoted over £600 to remove a tree. You could get a quote in and show your neighbour how expensive (probably) it would be and see if he offers to contribute?

If he agrees to cover the 600 quid, let me know. I'll hire a chainsaw and bring a rope.

Then we'll go to the pub for the night :D

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Another question

You could always decide that you want a tree, and you quite like the leylandii, but you’re willing to discuss a switch to a mutually-agreed different tree if he pays for the operation.

95% certain he’ll go very quiet on the matter.

6 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

If he agrees to cover the 600 quid, let me know. I'll hire a chainsaw and bring a rope.

Then we'll go to the pub for the night :D

I'd cut the fuker down with an axe like a real man. Lumberjack Canadian over here 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Is this you?

I'm as straight as a die, however...

lumberjack_5919.jpg

Not far off, just shave the head with a #0.5 clipper, make the skin colour more brown, add some white hair in the beard and you've nailed it.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Difficult one that.

It's probably been bugging him for years and seen a new neighbour moving in as his opportunity. 

I think I'd go along the lines of saying you're open to the idea, but it's going to cost you. 

Basically put the ball back in his court and see if he makes an offer to cover the cost.

Outright asking him might damage the neighbour relationship.

I was always going to be subtle if I make the suggestion that he could cover the cost or labour but it could still backfire on me either way lol

I did ask why it wasn't done by the previous home owner- the neighbour mentioned that he has raised this previously but was declined.  

47 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

If the figure is close to that mark then no way I am going to pay!  The neighbour is a volunteer gardener for a National Trust so I am hoping that if I do proceed then he got the know how and means to do the work.  

The text was easier as I am deaf.  

37 minutes ago, Dunge said:

You could always decide that you want a tree, and you quite like the leylandii, but you’re willing to discuss a switch to a mutually-agreed different tree if he pays for the operation.

95% certain he’ll go very quiet on the matter.

Interestingly enough, the neighbour has suggested replacing the tree with a slower growing variety- he volunteers for National Trust as a gardener in his spare time (see above) so that is another opinion if I want to preserve the look of the garden.  

6 minutes ago, The Blur said:

I was always going to be subtle if I make the suggestion that he could cover the cost or labour but it could still backfire on me either way lol

I did ask why it wasn't done by the previous home owner- the neighbour mentioned that he has raised this previously but was declined.  

If the figure is close to that mark then no way I am going to pay!  The neighbour is a volunteer gardener for a National Trust so I am hoping that if I do proceed then he got the know how and means to do the work.  

The text was easier as I am deaf.  

Interestingly enough, the neighbour has suggested replacing the tree with a slower growing variety- he volunteers for National Trust as a gardener in his spare time (see above) so that is another opinion if I want to preserve the look of the garden.  

Sounds like he's a reasonable guy then.

If he's a gardener and could possibly do ot himself (not putting your property in danger), I'd suggest saying "if you can take care of it, be my guest"

Point out there's loads to do as you've just moved in, you've got a young family and it isn't a priority of yours.

Always nice if you can get on with your neighbours and that let's him know you're not going to be an arse about things, but you won't pay a small fortune for something that won't benefit you.

Edited by tom27111
  • Thanks 1