Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

22 minutes ago, oakman said:

Why are people who oversee certain things known as Czars? We've got (or certainly had) a Night Czar in London and I seem to recall Drug Czars dotted around the UK. 

I think it's an Americanism, a popular phrase originally coined by the media wishing to convey high ranking control and officialdom avoiding a pejorative term or one with more negative connotations. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Milo said:

I woke up at 4 this morning.

I had a thought going round in my head regarding animals laughing.

Do animals laugh? Apart from primates (I wasn't sure if they laughed or grimaced, tbh) I couldn't really think of any other animals that actually laugh. Hyenas don't count.

I knew that if I Googled it then that would be me awake, starting my day at 4am. So I didn't - but then went through lists of animals that may or may not actually laugh. And then I wondered how you might make an animal laugh to test if they do laugh or not. 

I thought about maybe trying to tickle them. 

Could you tickle a tiger safely, and how would you go about tickling, for example, an ant?   

Anyway, I didn't get back to sleep, and I still haven't Googled the answer. But I might before I go to bed this evening. 

Dolphins laugh don't they?

Apart from when @Izzy posts on the joke thread.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Does anyone know how long covid booster certificates take before they appear on the NHS app? Had my booster 2 weeks ago but still only shows my original 2 jabs from last year? Im going on holiday in 2 weeks so need it on there urgently really

I was told upto 7 days in March, it did in-fact take 6 to appear.

On 18/05/2022 at 12:11, oakman said:

Why are people who oversee certain things known as Czars? We've got (or certainly had) a Night Czar in London and I seem to recall Drug Czars dotted around the UK. 

Yep. There's been a plague of czars in recent years. We need to appoint a supreme czar to control them all.

It's a shame that Zsa Zsa Gabor died as she'd have been the ideal candidate.

• Haha 1

Question to our overseas posters, in your country, do they show British TV at all? Programmes, news or channels etc? And do the natives watch and enjoy it? I mean we obviously have US programmes and Australian but do you have your American friends go on about last nights episode of Eastenders etc? 

2 hours ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

Question to our overseas posters, in your country, do they show British TV at all? Programmes, news or channels etc? And do the natives watch and enjoy it? I mean we obviously have US programmes and Australian but do you have your American friends go on about last nights episode of Eastenders etc? 

I got iptv so see channels from eveywhere.

You can get foreign channels through regular television cable providers but typically  the only people watching those are natives of those countries. 

Coro is shown on regular tele over here but likely will be brit expats who watch it. It's also behind where you lot are currently at (from what I remember in the past when i watched it with the parents. Several months behind but maybe thay has changed?).

I don't know many Canadians who arent from british isles that watch coro. I'm sure they are a few but then again so many 1st, 2nd, 3rd gen brit/scot/irish/welsh here that likely do watch.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

I have IPTV for the football but I quite often surf the normal channels too. A lot of countries have a BBC channel.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Is it worth getting a Turkish wet towel shave in a barber's if you shave regularly? I quite fancy treating myself to one on Friday before I get married the following day, but not sure if I'd be wasting my money.

As a woman I say get one, the Turkish barbers get all the bits men overlook when they're shaving. Your wife to be will appreciate it, I'm sure.

Congratulations, btw, have a great day, and like I say to everyone getting married, make sure you and your new wife take a couple of minutes out to take it all in, it's over in a heartbeat and it's so easy to spend your special day making sure everyone else is ok :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Is it worth getting a Turkish wet towel shave in a barber's if you shave regularly? I quite fancy treating myself to one on Friday before I get married the following day, but not sure if I'd be wasting my money.

I would...

If they slit your throat accidentally you'll save yourself decades of misery!😂

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

As a woman I say get one, the Turkish barbers get all the bits men overlook when they're shaving. Your wife to be will appreciate it, I'm sure.

Congratulations, btw, have a great day, and like I say to everyone getting married, make sure you and your new wife take a couple of minutes out to take it all in, it's over in a heartbeat and it's so easy to spend your special day making sure everyone else is ok :)

Great, thanks for the advice!

4 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

They don’t really do a much better job than a good wet shave at home, but it is quite a nice pampering experience. Particularly for a wedding, I think it would be something else to add to the experience and something you will remember.

When I got married, I went to a more expensive barber than I usually would. They didn’t cut my hair any better, but I still remember it being a nice experience and another memory of the day.  That was over 20 years ago.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

I’d say so but just don’t go for the back sac and crack option as it could result in a rather underwhelming wedding night. Congratulations by the way. Best thing my wife ever did was to get married. 

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I’d say so but just don’t go for the back sac and crack option as it could result in a rather underwhelming wedding night. Congratulations by the way. Best thing my wife ever did was to get married. 

Wax on, wax off.

Edited by Jattdogg

12 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

I've had Turkish shaves in Turkey and its no better than you can do yourself. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Is Lincoln city centre any good for a day trip/weekend away? Heard someone in my office going on about it but I trust the opinion of foxestalk more 

I've never been to Lincoln.

But your thought process is exemplary lol