Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

So...my password is roughly 18 months from expiring. I'm going abroad in January. My dog ate my passport. 

I know there are 2 options. Replace or Renew.

If I replace the passport, am I right in thinking the new one will give me 10 years from the date it's issued? I don't want to replace it for it to only have 12 months left on it and need to renew further down the line.

Or is it easier for me to just renew now, even with it being 18 months early? I'm not sure if there is a timeframe close to expiry that you need to be in before you can renew?

Not been able to find any information on the govt website so I'm hoping someone here knows or has had a similar experience :D

Has anyone taken out an injunction or a court order to stop a person contacting them? Sadly for the last few months, our (adopted) daughter has been texting and leaving truly nasty texts and VM's insulting us and calling us vile names but this week has been particularly awful causing us alarm and distress. In excess of 20 VM's a day plus up to 100 texts. There's a mental health issue in that she is diagnosed as being Bi-Polar with personality disorder. There has been a particular root cause recently that has escalated her behaviour. It's now reached the point where we are struggling to cope and we need it to stop. We've blocked her on all our contact platforms but VM's still get through. We are reluctant but we feel we might need to take some action to stop her. :dunno:

9 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Has anyone taken out an injunction or a court order to stop a person contacting them? Sadly for the last few months, our (adopted) daughter has been texting and leaving truly nasty texts and VM's insulting us and calling us vile names but this week has been particularly awful causing us alarm and distress. In excess of 20 VM's a day plus up to 100 texts. There's a mental health issue in that she is diagnosed as being Bi-Polar with personality disorder. There has been a particular root cause recently that has escalated her behaviour. It's now reached the point where we are struggling to cope and we need it to stop. We've blocked her on all our contact platforms but VM's still get through. We are reluctant but we feel we might need to take some action to stop her. :dunno:

You mention a root cause? Can this be addressed?

Have you or someone else asked her to stop sending these messages.

Has she got any Mental Health professionals involved such as a CPN, who could speak with her about this?

Very hard to look at it this way when in your situation, but she is angry/distressed with a situation that can either be potentially addressed or she have some other way of coping/venting?

If considering a more legal route, is it possible to have a police officer warn her of her behaviour and possible consequences first?

From your Ambulance days PF, you must have seen MH crisis teams operating with some patients. Do you know any of those who could advise?

I wish you all the best resolving this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Being aware of your experience, I'll PM you tomorrow. Thanks.

Has she got any Mental Health professionals involved such as a CPN, who could speak with her about this?

Very hard to look at it this way when in your situation, but she is angry/distressed with a situation that can either be potentially addressed or she have some other way of coping/venting?

If considering a more legal route, is it possible to have a police officer warn her of her behaviour and possible consequences first?

From your Ambulance days PF, you must have seen MH crisis teams operating with some patients. Do you know any of those who could advise?

Edited by Parafox

7 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Being aware of your experience, I'll PM you tomorrow. Thanks.

Gonna PM you soon, thanks.

• Like 1

Bit of a weird one (which is why I’ve posted this here): I’m after a new suitcase and need some advice.

Basically, the only suitcases you can buy these days are those gimpy ones with those four casters on the bottom. I’m pretty sure that a) they’ll break off the first time they go through an airport baggage handling facility and b) on anything other than a polished airport floor they’ll be absolutely useless.

Even the older style, more tough wheels were pretty ropey on anything other than a smooth floor.

Does anybody have any experience using one of these quad wheel suitcases for serious travel and hauling them round cities etc.?

Basically I’m after some reassurance that the wheels aren’t as flimsy as they look.

56 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

Bit of a weird one (which is why I’ve posted this here): I’m after a new suitcase and need some advice.

Basically, the only suitcases you can buy these days are those gimpy ones with those four casters on the bottom. I’m pretty sure that a) they’ll break off the first time they go through an airport baggage handling facility and b) on anything other than a polished airport floor they’ll be absolutely useless.

Even the older style, more tough wheels were pretty ropey on anything other than a smooth floor.

Does anybody have any experience using one of these quad wheel suitcases for serious travel and hauling them round cities etc.?

Basically I’m after some reassurance that the wheels aren’t as flimsy as they look.

Suppose the thing is with those wheely ones is you can still carry them if you wish.

Whatever you do, get 'trendy' ones if you can and have children. Ours disowned us waiting at the carousel to collect our 'embarrassing' old fashioned suitcases.

48 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Suppose the thing is with those wheely ones is you can still carry them if you wish.

Whatever you do, get 'trendy' ones if you can and have children. Ours disowned us waiting at the carousel to collect our 'embarrassing' old fashioned suitcases.

lol

Problem is I don’t want to carry it. I just want the wheels to not break immediately.

My son is not yet old enough to worry about what’s cool and what’s not. Even if he was, I wouldn’t care.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saxondale said:

We’ve got a couple of suitcases with 4 wheels and I’d never given it much thought. I’ve had a look online and there are some that look more exposed and more vulnerable to falling off. Ours look to have some support and casing either side, so I reckon if you went for something similar you’d be fine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saxondale said:

The wheels on two wheel suitcases are generally more robust than four wheel suitcases.  Four wheel suitcases are now more fashionable and are great if on a smooth surface so good in airports.  However if you're in a hurry or on a rougher surface then there is a tendency to drag the suitcase.  This can damage the wheels on a four wheel suitcase - my youngest wrote one of this year on his holiday hauling it around town at his destination.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

The wheels on two wheel suitcases are generally more robust than four wheel suitcases.  Four wheel suitcases are now more fashionable and are great if on a smooth surface so good in airports.  However if you're in a hurry or on a rougher surface then there is a tendency to drag the suitcase.  This can damage the wheels on a four wheel suitcase - my youngest wrote one of this year on his holiday hauling it around town at his destination.

This is basically what I thought. Think I’m gonna look for an older style two wheeler.

8 hours ago, Saxondale said:

Are you a Kardashian?

Anyone got a megabus from Fosse Park going north before? 

Rail strikes tomorrow so I'm off to Leeds on one. No fvcking clue where it stops. Somewhere near asda apparently? Do they stop at the same place going north or south? (suppose it doesn't really matter if they're just jumping straight back on the m1) 

12 hours ago, Saxondale said:

Some years ago we invested in Hartmann. They are not cheap but we have had the two since 1992 and are still going strong.

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Need a lift for a 10 min flight to leeds?

Yes please. If it includes a hand job with a filthy south Yorkshire sheep milker 

(FIIP)

A possible acronym for  "**** it, I'm pissed" for those that post whilst under the influence..

44 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Yes please. If it includes a hand job with a filthy south Yorkshire sheep milker 

(FIIP)

A possible acronym for  "**** it, I'm pissed" for those that post whilst under the influence..

Give her a ring and see what she's willing to offer 

20220812_204549.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/08/2022 at 15:59, Unabomber said:

Are Apple watches worth it?

Absolutely 100% ...  I've got several watches as I've collected them all my life but seem to wear my iwatch all the time now.  Looks great (100's of faces to choose from), is light and comfortable, waterproof, always 'on' and showing the time (mine is the one before the latest), very light (you hardly know you're wearing it), soft leather strap that just stays in place by a magnet so instantly adjustable (I've got a black and brown one and a neat plastic one if I'm swimming or doing a dirty job) and is always accurate.

I got the cellular one for an extra £5 a month on my airtime contract (bought the phone from the start) so can leave the phone at home and still make and receive calls and messages when out and about.  Useful when cycling as can answer calls and talk and hear perfectly without stopping.  Also has a compass face so very useful when on a long hike, has a torch facility and shows up in the dark, can use it to take remote pics from your phone and see what the phone sees, even if it is somewhere else.  :ph34r:  Sits on a lightweight travel charger (folds up to credit card size) by the bed with the phone next to it and when you move near it it lights up and shows the time ...  nice alarm on it and starts to glow and get brighter and brighter 5 minutes before he alarm goes off.   Wouldn't be without it !

Hope that helps.

* These straps are the best !

Edited by Countryfox
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Absolutely 100% ...  I've got several watches as I've collected them all my life but seem to wear my iwatch all the time now.  Looks great (100's of faces to choose from), is light and comfortable, waterproof, always 'on' and showing the time (mine is the one before the latest), very light (you hardly know you're wearing it), soft leather strap that just stays in place by a magnet so instantly adjustable (I've got a black and brown one and a neat plastic one if I'm swimming or doing a dirty job) and is always accurate.

I got the cellular one for an extra £5 a month on my airtime contract (bought the phone from the start) so can leave the phone at home and still make and receive calls and messages when out and about.  Useful when cycling as can answer calls and talk and hear perfectly without stopping.  Also has a compass face so very useful when on a long hike, has a torch facility and shows up in the dark, can use it to take remote pics from your phone and see what the phone sees, even if it is somewhere else.  :ph34r:  Sits on a lightweight travel charger (folds up to credit card size) by the bed with the phone next to it and when you move near it it lights up and shows the time ...  nice alarm on it and starts to glow and get brighter and brighter 5 minutes before he alarm goes off.   Wouldn't be without it !

Hope that helps.

* These straps are the best !

Cheers I do think I will get one, just need to decide if it’s worth getting the latest or just get the SE version.