Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

On 29/06/2022 at 20:27, Vacamion said:

Who is worse?

The dicks who shout "Go on Andy/Serena" when it's quiet at the tennis.

Or

The dicks who shout "Get in the hole" at the tee on a par 5 ?

:dunno:

C) everyone who goes to tennis and golf events

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

Is it safe to eat Lamb 1 day past the use by date? I'm absolutely gutted! It's in a vacuum pack and been in the fridge?

Probably been in the supermarket cold store for longer than you've had it.

"it's fine to eat it just one day after the use by date, supermarkets know that some people eat things a day or two after the use by date, so in order to protect themselves they put a date that's in advance of the 'true' date it would start to go off".

36 minutes ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

Is it safe to eat Lamb 1 day past the use by date? I'm absolutely gutted! It's in a vacuum pack and been in the fridge?

If it looks OK and it smells OK it's absolutely fine. There's far too much food waste based on use by dates. I take absolutely no notice of them, and just go by my instinct. 

Lamb won't kill you anyway, it's chicken and pork you have to be more careful with. But 1 day over is nothing lol

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Parafox said:

Is it dead?

Yes I would assume so as its only part of the lamb and to make sure it is dead its been in a vacuum pack

3 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Has the fridge been working?

Yes

3 hours ago, Parafox said:

Probably been in the supermarket cold store for longer than you've had it.

"it's fine to eat it just one day after the use by date, supermarkets know that some people eat things a day or two after the use by date, so in order to protect themselves they put a date that's in advance of the 'true' date it would start to go off".

:thumbup:

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

If it looks OK and it smells OK it's absolutely fine. There's far too much food waste based on use by dates. I take absolutely no notice of them, and just go by my instinct. 

Lamb won't kill you anyway, it's chicken and pork you have to be more careful with. But 1 day over is nothing lol

Exactly! My missus was unsure about it and I said it's only 1 day. It's not like as soon as the clock hits 12.01am and it all of a sudden turns moldy. And like you said its not chicken or pork. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

It’ll be fine (as your fridge is working).

Use By dates are put on food that bacteria can grow and and may become unsafe if allowed to grow (even in the fridge). Manufacturers UBD are based on lab shelf life tests but are usually conservative. 

21 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Agree with too much food waste - but just to put it out there, the bacteria that make you ill are not the same as the bacteria that change the food. So it’s entirely possible that food looks and smells fine, but can be heavily contaminated with food poisoning bacteria. 

Re lamb being safer than chicken - agree, but it depends on the abattoir standards. And also if it’s been imported or not. 
I’ve been to some abattoirs that are pretty grotty and you really wouldn’t want to be eating anything that came out of them. 

:thumbup:

Do you ever "save" topics/threads so that you can overindulge later when you have more time?

Personally, I never look at the Phunny Photo's thread for several days just so that I can have a good time going through the posts in a binge rather than a couple at a time.

On 19/10/2022 at 18:19, The Bear said:

If it smells and looks OK then I eat it. And I have a strong sense of smell/taste and a sensitive stomach. 

The only thing I throw after 24-48 hours in the fridge is rice. That stuff isn't safe to keep for long at any temperature. 

Tips on serving rice safely

Ideally, serve rice as soon as it has been cooked.

If that is not possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within 1 hour).

Keep rice in the fridge for no more than 1 day until reheating.

When you reheat rice, always check that it's steaming hot all the way through.

Do not reheat rice more than once.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Tips on serving rice safely

Ideally, serve rice as soon as it has been cooked.

If that is not possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within 1 hour).

Keep rice in the fridge for no more than 1 day until reheating.

When you reheat rice, always check that it's steaming hot all the way through.

Do not reheat rice more than once.

As someone who was a victim of food poisoning on a squash court which was likely caused by me not doing the above, pay attention.  Was not pleasent for all involved.

Edited by Zear0
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Any idea why my washing machine has started sounding like a Boeing 747 taking off? It’s not a rattle like something’s loose and I’ve got the spirit level out and it’s level. Things only a couple of years old - could really do without having to replace it.

7 minutes ago, oakman said:

Any idea why my washing machine has started sounding like a Boeing 747 taking off? It’s not a rattle like something’s loose and I’ve got the spirit level out and it’s level. Things only a couple of years old - could really do without having to replace it.

Whenever mine have sounded like that it's been the bearings apparently. 

Had no idea rice could be dangerous. Assumed it was a relatively safe thing, although it's probably not a food item we'd have left over and keep but good to know.

I'm definitely not one for dates. Tonight's meal contained peppers with a date early September and not long ago a packet of cous cous with a 2017 date was served. 

Just now, FoyleFox said:

Had no idea rice could be dangerous. Assumed it was a relatively safe thing, although it's probably not a food item we'd have left over and keep but good to know.

I'm definitely not one for dates. Tonight's meal contained peppers with a date early September and not long ago a packet of cous cous with a 2017 date was served. 

I'd heard that rice could be dangerous, but never really paid much attention to it.

I'm the same with sell by/use by dates, if it looks and smells OK, I'll eat it. Especially if it's only a couple of days out.

I have, however,  thrown away chicken breast in date that absolutely stank, despite being refrigerated immediately after getting it home from the shop.

Absolutely drew the line at this though...

3ent6tkrz4c01.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I'd heard that rice could be dangerous, but never really paid much attention to it.

I'm the same with sell by/use by dates, if it looks and smells OK, I'll eat it. Especially if it's only a couple of days out.

I have, however,  thrown away chicken breast in date that absolutely stank, despite being refrigerated immediately after getting it home from the shop.

Absolutely drew the line at this though...

3ent6tkrz4c01.jpg

That reminds me of the year I took our turkey crown out the fridge on Christmas morning to find it had gone off, despite having a few days left on it's date.

I went next door and begged some of the neighbours cooked turkey for our dinners lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

That reminds me of the year I took our turkey crown out the fridge on Christmas morning to find it had gone off, despite having a few days left on it's date.

I went next door and begged some of the neighbours cooked turkey for our dinners lol

Is this when you first moved to Spain and your neighbours said "¿quien es esta loca?"

• Haha 2

Just now, tom27111 said:

Is this when you first moved to Spain and your neighbours said "¿quien es esta loca?"

Haha no, it was years back in Aylestone.

We finally moved on Friday and my kitchen doesn't have an oven. No idea yet if the new kitchen will be fitted in time for Christmas so I may well be begging the entire dinner this year! 

3 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Haha no, it was years back in Aylestone.

We finally moved on Friday and my kitchen doesn't have an oven. No idea yet if the new kitchen will be fitted in time for Christmas so I may well be begging the entire dinner this year! 

We'll do a whip round and send you some. Put me down for red cabbage and Brussels with pancetta.

You'll have it by new years day, but as use by dates don't bother anyone...:whistle:

• Thanks 1