Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

7 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Had no idea rice could be dangerous. Assumed it was a relatively safe thing, 

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Rice is dangerous because of the toxins left behind by the bacteria that grows in it. Re-heating kills the bacteria, but not the toxin.

If only we had a microbiologist and food safety consultant on the forum to help with any food related questions… :P

The bacteria found naturally in rice has an ability to protect itself during cooking, so normal cooking won’t kill these bacteria. They are inactive but alive after cooking. Tricky little so and so’s.

If the rice is eaten immediately you’ll be fine as the bacteria won’t germinate/cause problems inside you. 

If it’s left to cool down for too long, the bacteria reactivate and just keep growing. And @The Bear is absolutely correct - as they grow they spit out poison into the food. The poison is heat stable (cannot be killed by cooking). So even if you reheat it the poison will remain. 

So cook it/eat it. Cook it/chill it or cook it and keep it hot. 

And probably best avoid rice from takeaways. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Milo said:

If only we had a microbiologist and food safety consultant on the forum to help with any food related questions… :P

The bacteria found naturally in rice has an ability to protect itself during cooking, so normal cooking won’t kill these bacteria. They are inactive but alive after cooking. Tricky little so and so’s.

If the rice is eaten immediately you’ll be fine as the bacteria won’t germinate/cause problems inside you. 

If it’s left to cool down for too long, the bacteria reactivate and just keep growing. And @The Bear is absolutely correct - as they grow they spit out poison into the food. The poison is heat stable (cannot be killed by cooking). So even if you reheat it the poison will remain. 

well, thats just changed our...cook, save in fridge and use over 2-3 days :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

well, thats just changed our...cook, save in fridge and use over 2-3 days :)

Never had any problem with boil-in-the-bag, use half, keep in the bag in the fridge and re-heat/fry/eat cold...after several days. Maybe boil-in-bag has extra high heat treatment because it's moist anyway. Or maybe I just have iron guts lol

5 hours ago, Milo said:

This is pretty weird. 

When I cook fried rice, I pre cook the the rice, wash it in cold water to get It stone cold , let it harden then fry it when I'm cooking everything else. I was told this was the best way to get it takeaway like amd I've never had any issues doing it even though I don't doubt the science. 

Never had isues with rice being eaten the next day or not cooling it right away etc. Perhaps sensitive stomachs? Or stupid restaurants using 2 or 3 days old rice?

I don’t doubt it has toxins but been eating rice often all of my life  (indian background) and never been sick from it.

I'm sure if you look at food from a micro biology standpoint we'd never eat anything lol

Have a dodgy curry and live life in the toilet lane lads. Lol.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Milo said:

How does it work with those microwave rice pouches?

I always use them, because I'm rubbish at cooking rice!

The issue is how many times you cool it and reheat it. If you're only doing that cycle once it'll be fine. 

I've left rice in the pot on the cooker at room temperarure until the next day before and eaten it with no problems. You just have to make sure you reheat it thoroughly. 

22 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

How does it work with those microwave rice pouches?

I always use them, because I'm rubbish at cooking rice!

Good question. 

Depends on the rice - but would either be commercial sterility (cooking the fvck out of it). This will kill the microorganisms and crucially the protective covering that usually allows them to survive. You can’t do this at home - you need big industrial pressure cookers. 

Rice can them be packed and stored at ambient, as there are no bacteria present.

Or it can be a combination of pressure cooking and dehydration.

Something like sushi rice is cooked and then washed in vinegar to lower the pH to a level that the bacteria can’t cause any problems. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Why are we inundated with squirrels?

They are all over the place, loads of them. Running about squirrels, sitting and watching squirrels, and met with an unfortunate car accident squirrels.

Never known the like.

Ironically, thinking about this topic, was at a bus stop earlier in the week overhearing an elderly couple agreeing that there's not as much squirrels about anymore. lol

Just now, Wymsey said:

Ironically, thinking about this topic, was at a bus stop earlier in the week overhearing an elderly couple agreeing that there's not as much squirrels about anymore. lol

They've clearly moved to my neck of the woods.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Manini said:

Anyone know of anybody who breaks up cars for parts, specifically VW’s? Need a replacement parcel shelf for a Polo, keeping an eye on ebay too. 

Parcel shelves are outrageously priced!

Just try your local scrapyard, should be plenty about for a Polo.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Manini said:

Anyone know of anybody who breaks up cars for parts, specifically VW’s? Need a replacement parcel shelf for a Polo, keeping an eye on ebay too. 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwit1JCH9_v6AhWOiVwKHYxVDvQQFnoECBsQAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fscraplocal.co.uk%2Ffind-vehicle-parts%2F&usg=AOvVaw0yCkzX79HW4Ll1gxPel5RC

• Thanks 1

On 23/10/2022 at 13:48, Daggers said:

Why are we inundated with squirrels?

They are all over the place, loads of them. Running about squirrels, sitting and watching squirrels, and met with an unfortunate car accident squirrels.

Never known the like.

In our area it's pigeons. Feckers are everywhere, on nearly every roof including ours where they've been nesting under the solar panels for the last 9 months or so. Pigeon shit, feathers, broken pigeon eggshells and their unhatched contents splattered over our patio and conservatory roof. Not to mention the noise and smell.

Just can't seem to get rid of them without it costing a small fortune.