Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

59 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Hi…. Does anyone know a person or shop who fixes hi fi please?

Richer Sounds used to do it, not sure if they still do. If Jason still works there he'll probably be able to put you in touch with someone if they can't help.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Richer Sounds used to do it, not sure if they still do. If Jason still works there he'll probably be able to put you in touch with someone if they can't help.

Yes…. I had heard they did stuff…. I was just after a local  indipendant ideally, but maybe they’d be able to put me in touch with someone, there was a bloke near Gypsy lane I used before, but he appears to have packed up

On 23/10/2022 at 13:48, Daggers said:

Why are we inundated with squirrels?

They are all over the place, loads of them. Running about squirrels, sitting and watching squirrels, and met with an unfortunate car accident squirrels.

Never known the like.

You might have a point…we have a family of them in the garden 

7D8949B5-5EEB-4A47-B08C-505AFC7B64F5.jpeg

2 hours ago, Milo said:

You might have a point…we have a family of them in the garden 

7D8949B5-5EEB-4A47-B08C-505AFC7B64F5.jpeg

I was passing a couple of squished ones a day for a couple of weeks, and always seeing a live one scurrying about, as I drove to take the dogs out. Reckon the cars have thinned the herd out as I've not seen one for a week.

One for the money savvy members here.

We own our house outright. Worth around £310,000 in today's market. We're both retired and are considering equity release. Would that be a good thing in order to raise funds for our retirement to do things before we park the bus? What other options might there be. We don't plan to move or downsize anytime soon. 

Thanks 

17 minutes ago, Parafox said:

One for the money savvy members here.

We own our house outright. Worth around £310,000 in today's market. We're both retired and are considering equity release. Would that be a good thing in order to raise funds for our retirement to do things before we park the bus? What other options might there be. We don't plan to move or downsize anytime soon. 

Thanks 

Depends on whether you want to leave your estate to your children etc. Interest rates can be high. Read up as much as possible look at T&Cs then get some independent financial advice. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Parafox said:

That's not a garden. It's some kind of country house estate. :worship:

In leafy Surrey no less.

And he still complains he's got no room to park his hundred grand Range Rover sport FFS :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just reading the James Corden was being paid nearly $10 million a year for his US show - don't know the workings of American TV but how can a show that only has viewing figures in the hundreds of thousands afford to pay that much?

• 2 weeks later...

it seems my fridge has broken, inexplicably, we have had a it a couple of months, although the mother in law had it for 4 years before us. its a full size fridge and 3 drawer freezer and the power had ben going off intermiddently a couple of times before, we thought it was the extension lead because we changed the socket it was in and it was fine, for a while at least. i have tested it now in 2 different wall sockets i know work, and i replaced the fuse, though i didnt have a 10 amp so used a 13 ( would that have worked just for a test) besides, if it was the fuse it would be flat out not working instead of just sometimes.im hoping that we dont need a new one 1 month before christmas, does anyone here have any idea what might be wrong with it please. the fridge still feels cold inside, properly cold too, like it just went off when i discovered the problem, im hoping it could be just the lights but i cant here any "fridge noise" either. 

1 hour ago, Beliall said:

it seems my fridge has broken, inexplicably, we have had a it a couple of months, although the mother in law had it for 4 years before us. its a full size fridge and 3 drawer freezer and the power had ben going off intermiddently a couple of times before, we thought it was the extension lead because we changed the socket it was in and it was fine, for a while at least. i have tested it now in 2 different wall sockets i know work, and i replaced the fuse, though i didnt have a 10 amp so used a 13 ( would that have worked just for a test) besides, if it was the fuse it would be flat out not working instead of just sometimes.im hoping that we dont need a new one 1 month before christmas, does anyone here have any idea what might be wrong with it please. the fridge still feels cold inside, properly cold too, like it just went off when i discovered the problem, im hoping it could be just the lights but i cant here any "fridge noise" either. 

Have you overloaded it inside the fridge? Ours wasn’t working properly a few months ago and we were told it was because it was overloaded with food. Gave it a good clear out and put everything away neatly and it’s been fine ever since.

2 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Have you overloaded it inside the fridge? Ours wasn’t working properly a few months ago and we were told it was because it was overloaded with food. Gave it a good clear out and put everything away neatly and it’s been fine ever since.

worth a try mate, i wouldnt say its ever been overloaded but ill take some stuff out and see what happens, thanks

8 hours ago, Milo said:

Easiest thing to do would be to stick a thermometer in there and check it a few times throughout the day. 

That’ll tell you whether it’s holding temperature or not. 

its definetly not, its got considerably warmer in there now. picking up a piece of crap free one tomorrow to see us through to the new year. i think this one is worth fixing though if i can get it done for a reasonable price

The moisture in my house has shot up since I started to turn the heating on. Do anyone have recommendations for dehumidifiers? I was wondering whether to get one and rotate between rooms or to get multiple small ones and put on the windowsills. 

4 hours ago, The Blur said:

The moisture in my house has shot up since I started to turn the heating on. Do anyone have recommendations for dehumidifiers? I was wondering whether to get one and rotate between rooms or to get multiple small ones and put on the windowsills. 

Weve had it bad in our place too. I got this one last week

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/logik-l20dh19-dehumidifier-10191849.html

For some reason the price online and at the till was 179.99 but they had a label on it for 149.99 in the shop so i got it at that price. Been brilliant. First night had it on in our bedroom and it was full by morning. It's really making a difference in our house.

We've also had a non-powered one (unibond aero 360) in the bathroom, still hasn't actually got any liquid in it all so I'd probably avoid those.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Blur said:

I nearly asked this a couple of weeks ago.

Moisture around our house is ridiculous, never known it to be this bad before.

7 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I read that a small bowl of salt on the window sills works well as it's a moisture absorber. 

I always notice this time if year that my salt and sugar clumps up together more than usual in the kitchen. 

It's like dropping your mobile down the toilet and sticking it in a bowl of rice lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Blur said:

We use these type of disposable dehumidifiers during the winter.

Put one on each windowsill and they do the job. Cost about £3-4 each off Amazon

Loops 5x 0.3L Disposable Moisture Absorber Dehumidifier – Damp, Mould  Preventer - Ideal for Homes, Rooms, Garage, Storage, Boat, Caravan, Car,  Interiors: Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

• Like 1