Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

We've started

18 minutes ago, Izzy said:

We use these type of disposable dehumidifiers during the winter.

Put one on each windowsill and they do the job. Cost about £3-4 each off Amazon

Loops 5x 0.3L Disposable Moisture Absorber Dehumidifier – Damp, Mould  Preventer - Ideal for Homes, Rooms, Garage, Storage, Boat, Caravan, Car,  Interiors: Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

We've started getting condensation in the bathroom and bedroom this winter. Will give these a try. Assume you're findings they're effective? Do they last very long?

3 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

We've started getting condensation in the bathroom and bedroom this winter. Will give these a try. Assume you're findings they're effective? Do they last very long?

They're certainly effective! 

It's pretty amazing how quickly the crystals turn into water tbh. On average I'd say they last a couple of weeks each when it's really cold.

I guess we'll go through maybe half a dozen per room over the entirety of winter? At £4 each that's say 6 disposables x 6 rooms = £144 

I suppose we could get a £40 small electric dehumidifier for each room but then you've got the electricity costs to factor in.

Swings and roundabouts maybe but the bonus is they don't make any noise :)

• Thanks 1

On 25/11/2022 at 15:29, Kopic said:

Weve had it bad in our place too. I got this one last week

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/logik-l20dh19-dehumidifier-10191849.html

For some reason the price online and at the till was 179.99 but they had a label on it for 149.99 in the shop so i got it at that price. Been brilliant. First night had it on in our bedroom and it was full by morning. It's really making a difference in our house.

We've also had a non-powered one (unibond aero 360) in the bathroom, still hasn't actually got any liquid in it all so I'd probably avoid those.

Nice one. How come you only bought one- is it for economic reasons or that the issue was just restricted to your living room?

20 hours ago, Izzy said:

Loops 5x 0.3L Disposable Moisture Absorber Dehumidifier – Damp, Mould  Preventer - Ideal for Homes, Rooms, Garage, Storage, Boat, Caravan, Car,  Interiors: Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

Yeah, I have bought some too to trial.   I think it's ok for condensation on small scale but if it's occuring on multiple windows all over the house I might be tempted to get electric dehumidifier.   I think I am going to mix and match.    Cheers mate.  

Edited by The Blur
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

Yeah, I have bought some too to trial.   I think it's ok for condensation on small scale but if it's occuring on multiple windows all over the house I might be tempted to get electric dehumidifier.   I think I am going to mix and match.    Cheers mate.  

If it’s an issue in other areas of the house, then it might be an idea to look into a PIV unit. 

Our previous house had a pretty big issue with condensation, as did our neighbours. They spent thousands on trying air bricks and then moisture proof insulation treatment (no idea) but nothing seemed to work. 

I installed one of these and it fixed the problem. 

Proper alchemy.

Pretty easy to fit yourself. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drimaster-Eco-Heat-Home-Controls-Enabled-HEATER/dp/B06Y2G1TLQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?adgrpid=91278401240&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIroq9zMzM-wIVyNvtCh26ewDNEAAYASAAEgJfjvD_BwE&hvadid=410797600451&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=1006886&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=18052745780285499081&hvtargid=kwd-334675562342&hydadcr=18253_1817067&keywords=drimaster+piv&qid=1669491533&sr=8-2

On 26/11/2022 at 19:45, Milo said:

If it’s an issue in other areas of the house, then it might be an idea to look into a PIV unit. 

Our previous house had a pretty big issue with condensation, as did our neighbours. They spent thousands on trying air bricks and then moisture proof insulation treatment (no idea) but nothing seemed to work. 

I installed one of these and it fixed the problem. 

Proper alchemy.

Pretty easy to fit yourself. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drimaster-Eco-Heat-Home-Controls-Enabled-HEATER/dp/B06Y2G1TLQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?adgrpid=91278401240&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIroq9zMzM-wIVyNvtCh26ewDNEAAYASAAEgJfjvD_BwE&hvadid=410797600451&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=1006886&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=18052745780285499081&hvtargid=kwd-334675562342&hydadcr=18253_1817067&keywords=drimaster+piv&qid=1669491533&sr=8-2

Wow that's interesting!  I had a quick look and the feedback looks positive.  What was the scale of your condensation issue?

The only concern I have is that there were feedback that the hallway got really cold from all filtered air coming in.   My house insulation is not the best and I have a young kid so am keen to ensure his bedroom is warm as possible.  I am also looking at improving the house insulation in the general and imagine better insulation may result in more condensation anyway!  What was your experience with the coldness in the area below the PIV diffuser? 

3 hours ago, The Blur said:

Wow that's interesting!  I had a quick look and the feedback looks positive.  What was the scale of your condensation issue?

The only concern I have is that there were feedback that the hallway got really cold from all filtered air coming in.   My house insulation is not the best and I have a young kid so am keen to ensure his bedroom is warm as possible.  I am also looking at improving the house insulation in the general and imagine better insulation may result in more condensation anyway!  What was your experience with the coldness in the area below the PIV diffuser? 

Have a look at the Drimaster range - and maybe some newer competitors that are around as well now. 

We had a massive condensation issue when we moved in to our old house - the house had solid walls, double glazed and concrete floors. We were coming down to wet windows and wet curtains. 
Over time there was mould build up on the walls and even black slime behind some of the wardrobes. (Lovely). Curtains were going black as well…it wasn’t much fun. 

It was also an issue with a couple of the neighbours houses, as I mentioned, and some weird and wonderful solutions tried that didn’t seem to work. 

Someone mentioned the PIV unit, which I’d never heard of. I did a fair bit of research and couldn’t find a negative review. 

So I got one - I got the one with the heater, so it blows down slightly warmed air…not exactly warm, but takes the chill off it. 

The results were pretty dramatic, no condensation, no mould, no wet curtains or windows or puddles on the window sill. 

A couple of caveats - it won’t work if you don’t have loft space to put the unit in, and you’ll have to remove your bathroom extraction fan. 

Installation was a day - I cut a hole in the ceiling above the stairs and attached the unit to a roof beam in the loft…and then tidy up the fvcking horrendous mess that cutting a hole in a lath and plaster ceiling makes. 

I don’t want to over sell it to you, as the units cost a reasonable amount. But for us, the results were astonishing. Like I said, proper alchemy. 

Let us know how you get on, or if you have any more questions. 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Who's had conjunctivitis here? If so, how did it start? And how long did it last? 

I used to get it as a kid and would know when i had it when i'd wake in the mornings and my eye lashes would be stuck together. I remember my mum would get cotton wool soaked in warm water and place it over my eye so to help open it. Doctor will give you some eye-drops to cure it and it only lasted a few days.   

19 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I used to get it as a kid and would know when i had it when i'd wake in the mornings and my eye lashes would be stuck together. I remember my mum would get cotton wool soaked in warm water and place it over my eye so to help open it. Doctor will give you some eye-drops to cure it and it only lasted a few days.   

Okay that's a good sign cos I don't have that (yet). 

Woken up with one bloodshot eye so was curious... 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Okay that's a good sign cos I don't have that (yet). 

Woken up with one bloodshot eye so was curious... 

Could be covid?

I currently have it for the 3rd time and my eyes have been sticky and irritable/bloodshot every day for the last few days. It's one of my only symptoms.

I only tested cos my son was positive.

Edited by Rain King

Is it time to remove the Bishops from the House of Lords

Fewer than half of people in England and Wales describe themselves as Christian for the first time, the Census 2021 has revealed.

The proportion of people who said they were Christian was 46.2%, down from 59.3% in the last census in 2011.

In contrast the number who said they had no religion increased to 37.2% of the population, up from a quarter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63792408

31 minutes ago, davieG said:

Is it time to remove the Bishops from the House of Lords

Fewer than half of people in England and Wales describe themselves as Christian for the first time, the Census 2021 has revealed.

The proportion of people who said they were Christian was 46.2%, down from 59.3% in the last census in 2011.

In contrast the number who said they had no religion increased to 37.2% of the population, up from a quarter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63792408

I liked this very much:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-63743309

• Like 1

On 28/11/2022 at 19:44, Milo said:

Have a look at the Drimaster range - and maybe some newer competitors that are around as well now. 

We had a massive condensation issue when we moved in to our old house - the house had solid walls, double glazed and concrete floors. We were coming down to wet windows and wet curtains. 
Over time there was mould build up on the walls and even black slime behind some of the wardrobes. (Lovely). Curtains were going black as well…it wasn’t much fun. 

It was also an issue with a couple of the neighbours houses, as I mentioned, and some weird and wonderful solutions tried that didn’t seem to work. 

Someone mentioned the PIV unit, which I’d never heard of. I did a fair bit of research and couldn’t find a negative review. 

So I got one - I got the one with the heater, so it blows down slightly warmed air…not exactly warm, but takes the chill off it. 

The results were pretty dramatic, no condensation, no mould, no wet curtains or windows or puddles on the window sill. 

A couple of caveats - it won’t work if you don’t have loft space to put the unit in, and you’ll have to remove your bathroom extraction fan. 

Installation was a day - I cut a hole in the ceiling above the stairs and attached the unit to a roof beam in the loft…and then tidy up the fvcking horrendous mess that cutting a hole in a lath and plaster ceiling makes. 

I don’t want to over sell it to you, as the units cost a reasonable amount. But for us, the results were astonishing. Like I said, proper alchemy. 

Let us know how you get on, or if you have any more questions. 

And I thought the condensation was bad in my house!

Why does the bathroom fan extractor need to be removed? 

11 hours ago, StanSP said:

Who's had conjunctivitis here? If so, how did it start? And how long did it last? 

Cue the rehash of Stan with shingles saga!

On 25/11/2022 at 22:49, Izzy said:

Hard to tell how big these actually are on the picture,but I work in home bargains and we sell some small ones for 79p (ish). 

Well worth looking into if you just want to test them and keep the cost down. 

I can tell you they are very popular, we sell hundreds of them

• Like 2

On 25/11/2022 at 22:49, Izzy said:

2 hours ago, RobHawk said:

Hard to tell how big these actually are on the picture,but I work in home bargains and we sell some small ones for 79p (ish). 

Well worth looking into if you just want to test them and keep the cost down. 

I can tell you they are very popular, we sell hundreds of them

I can't tell if they're the same as these but The ones I've just ordered are 500ml. £14 for 6.

I recently received a new job offer which I accepted, and consequently handed in my notice at my current employer. I have a three month notice period which ultimately ends on Tuesday 31st January. I also have worked out my remaining holiday entitlement with HR and I have 7 remaining days between now and then to take off or be paid for, as well as Christmas and what I already had booked. I want to start my new job as soon as possible and I am not bothered about taking any time off between jobs.

Am I able to take off the 7 last days of my current contract and start at my new job on 23rd January (ie have two jobs at once for 7 days)? If so, what are the impacts of this? If not, what other options do I have?

32 minutes ago, bmt said:

I recently received a new job offer which I accepted, and consequently handed in my notice at my current employer. I have a three month notice period which ultimately ends on Tuesday 31st January. I also have worked out my remaining holiday entitlement with HR and I have 7 remaining days between now and then to take off or be paid for, as well as Christmas and what I already had booked. I want to start my new job as soon as possible and I am not bothered about taking any time off between jobs.

Am I able to take off the 7 last days of my current contract and start at my new job on 23rd January (ie have two jobs at once for 7 days)? If so, what are the impacts of this? If not, what other options do I have?

It was a very long time ago but I was in a similar situation and opted to be paid for my remaining holiday entitlement rather than taking holiday, this resulted in my employment terminating earlier than it otherwise would have done meaning that I could start the new job without technically still being in the employ of my previous company.  I had to do that as my contract forbad me taking up additional employment (don't know if they can do that now).

• Thanks 1