Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

How come these places are so popular in a Cost of living Crisis, surely non-essential and buying and making your own food must be cheaper than take aways?

I can see people want to have some enjoyment in bad times but seems a bit odd to me.

I'm certainly not a customer.

Posting on a behalf of a family member- she is looking for a roofer to carry out urgent assessment and repair for loose and broken tiles on the roof in Newfoundpool area.   Do you guys know of any reliable roofers that you can recommend?   Cheers.   

38 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

With the banks being allowed to act like bankers, should I even bother with a pension at this point and just pay off my mortgage/ save?

I stumbled across a random YouTube video about this topic the other day. 

Apparently it works out better off in terms of final capital available when you retire, if you pay off your mortgage using your pension pot, due to the tax relief available in pensions compared to savings. Though naturally it all depends on your personal financial situation though obviously. 

It was pretty interesting, with nice visuals showing the financial aspects clearly, and the guy is a qualified financial planner. 

• Like 1

On 09/12/2022 at 13:10, The Bear said:

I stumbled across a random YouTube video about this topic the other day. 

Apparently it works out better off in terms of final capital available when you retire, if you pay off your mortgage using your pension pot, due to the tax relief available in pensions compared to savings. Though naturally it all depends on your personal financial situation though obviously. 

It was pretty interesting, with nice visuals showing the financial aspects clearly, and the guy is a qualified financial planner. 

Yep people don’t realise this and scurry to pay off their mortgage as quick as possible 

• Like 1

On 14/12/2022 at 05:55, davieG said:

Another Fridge/Freezer query. Mines just packed up and not that old maybe 5 years. 

Worst case scenario how much would it cost to repair?

Is it just not blowing cold?

If so, you have a compressor relay that may have gone out.  You can pick one up for less than $20 and are super easy to replace

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marbles said:

Is it just not blowing cold?

If so, you have a compressor relay that may have gone out.  You can pick one up for less than $20 and are super easy to replace

Thanks for reply.

Not sure really, all I can see is the light comes on, so power's there but it's just not cold. Resigned to getting rid now as I'm moving in a month so probably get a bigger one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Should I get Netflix?

The kids have got into Wednesday while we were staying at the in laws and we're now back home and they want to carry on.

I did Stranger Things while I was house sitting for someone and I liked that but the only other thing we watched was Afterlife and I thought that just felt like a crapper version of what Ricky Gervais used to do and for a smaller audience.

I'm already paying for the Disney Channel (pretty good) and Amazon (mostly dreadful) so am reluctant to sign up to anything long term but is there enough on Netflix to make a couple of months of subscriptions worthwhile?

10 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Should I get Netflix?

The kids have got into Wednesday while we were staying at the in laws and we're now back home and they want to carry on.

I did Stranger Things while I was house sitting for someone and I liked that but the only other thing we watched was Afterlife and I thought that just felt like a crapper version of what Ricky Gervais used to do and for a smaller audience.

I'm already paying for the Disney Channel (pretty good) and Amazon (mostly dreadful) so am reluctant to sign up to anything long term but is there enough on Netflix to make a couple of months of subscriptions worthwhile?

No I cancelled to get Apple TV which is way better. However depends on what stuff you like. Just read it’s for your kids, I would now say go for it if you can afford. 

Edited by Unabomber

54 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Should I get Netflix?

Can you log in to your in laws account and just use theirs? We have it and my children use our account when they are in the UK so we don't pay twice, I think we can have 4 devices using it at the same time

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Should I get Netflix?

I'm finding less and less that interests me on Netlfix nowadays, I considered cancelling after Better Call Saul finished but still have it.

• 2 weeks later...