Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Ah hadn't noticed that, that would be the auto-correct on my phone!

Can somebody answer this for me though because it's been bugging me for bloody ages, I gather it's a sort of 'rep' thing but what I don't get is why everybody cares so much?

EDIT: Grammar was awful here!

Yeah it is a rep thing, you can see the total you have amassed on your profile, I don't see that many posts about it though not as much as another forum where they will regular have whole threads dedicated to who has the most rep, they also have negative reps on there (negs) and people will get all bitchy about being negged, and then they will revenge neg, which is frowned upon, then the cliques will mass neg someone (negbomb) so they will go from positive to negative.

Seriously it is quite mild on here, I've only seen a handful of comments even referring to it.

Now I'm learning! This is the only forum I have ever read and to be honest, I'm am completely useless when it comes to computers. As it happens, 99% of the time I use my phone to read FT anyway!

But still (perhaps, as you say it's not so bad here) but why would anybody care what some faceless guy on the Internet thinks?! I mean don't get me wrong, I think some of the 'personalities' on FT are brilliant and I'm sure some of you would be great on a nigh out too. But fvck me I couldn't really care less if anybody on FT took a disliking to me!

This whole 'rep' thing seems a bit, dare I say it, geeky, to me!

Now I'm learning! This is the only forum I have ever read and to be honest, I'm am completely useless when it comes to computers. As it happens, 99% of the time I use my phone to read FT anyway!

But still (perhaps, as you say it's not so bad here) but why would anybody care what some faceless guy on the Internet thinks?! I mean don't get me wrong, I think some of the 'personalities' on FT are brilliant and I'm sure some of you would be great on a nigh out too. But fvck me I couldn't really care less if anybody on FT took a disliking to me!

This whole 'rep' thing seems a bit, dare I say it, geeky, to me!

Possibly, but it is just like clicking like on Facebook, it saves having to actually make a comment, or just posting "This". It does sometimes help when scanning through and you can pick out comments that people like, it also helps to see that you are not alone in thinking that.

Take a Gallagher thread, there may be 10 people bitching and moaning about him, and if only one person sticks up for him, it may look like most Leicester fans hate Gally, but if the one post sticking up for Gally is more popular than the ones slating him, then you get a better idea of where people's feelings lie, and you can support someone in an argument without having to actually get involved.

To be honest when I first joined and it didn't exist, it didn't really bother me, but when you actually put time and effort into a post, like some of the kits that were made, or some of the people that make blog posts or long considered posts that have clearly taken time to research and put together it is nice to be able to show appreciation and encourage those kind of posts, ahead of people shouting at Wellens in text speak.

Possibly, but it is just like clicking like on Facebook, it saves having to actually make a comment, or just posting "This". It does sometimes help when scanning through and you can pick out comments that people like, it also helps to see that you are not alone in thinking that.

Take a Gallagher thread, there may be 10 people bitching and moaning about him, and if only one person sticks up for him, it may look like most Leicester fans hate Gally, but if the one post sticking up for Gally is more popular than the ones slating him, then you get a better idea of where people's feelings lie, and you can support someone in an argument without having to actually get involved.

To be honest when I first joined and it didn't exist, it didn't really bother me, but when you actually put time and effort into a post, like some of the kits that were made, or some of the people that make blog posts or long considered posts that have clearly taken time to research and put together it is nice to be able to show appreciation and encourage those kind of posts, ahead of people shouting at Wellens in text speak.

And an even better explanation of the system, I can see how it would be good as a sort of facebook-style 'Like' thing.

I suppose it doesn't help that they don't show up on the mobile version! Thanks for the answer though - I can sleep again!

It's just a sign that you're growing old .

Are policeman looking too young ?

Can you no longer understand the lyrics to modern songs?

Why can't they get rid of brown money ?

it's a waste of space now.

Could be!

I hadn't considered that but could be a factor.

I probably need to watch grumpy old men on series link.

A packet of cigarettes is exactly the same size as a standard business card / credit card. This can't be a coincidence.

Anybody know why this is?

So that cigarette holders can double up as business card holders.

Why do towels dried in the tumble dryer feel much softer and fluffier than if i hang them out to dry in this nice sunshine ?

Do you add anything to help with softening to the dryer?

If not it's probably to do with the constant temperature and non-gravity effect produced by the dryer as oppsed to letting them drip dry.

Why do i feel so knackered all the time?.

Because you're old.

What the hell does it mean when someone 'plus ones' somebody else on here? Andy why does everybody care so much?

It means that they love you and want to increase the world by one having your babies.

Why do you get told to "walk, don't run" during fire drills, but all Fire Exit signs clearly depict someone running?

120px-Emergency_exit_light.jpg

Because there are limited places.

Why are do so many people show an arrogance and lack of respect these days?

Are basic courtesies and manners a thing of the past?

You have two auxilliaries in your question, Twat.

Why are do so many people show an arrogance and lack of respect these days?

Are basic courtesies and manners a thing of the past?

Are you talking real world or internet world? I do wonder if the way people interact on the internet has spilt over into real life, with people just shouting at each other and arguing over opinions, or in an attempt to be funny. I wouldn't be surprised if by the time I have finished this someone has made a jokey insulting response.

You have two auxilliaries in your question, Twat.

I was a little out in my timing, but thanks for not disappointing fif

So my question is:

Is the internet responsible for the moral decline in modern society?

So my question is:

The internet is not solely responsible for any moral decline. Its simply another enabler for both selfishness and virtue in equal measure, just like any technological or natural medium.

The internet is not solely responsible for any moral decline. Its simply another enabler for both selfishness and virtue in equal measure, just like any technological or natural medium.

But virtue is not rewarded and twattishness is not punished. On forums like this and others you are anonymous and can get away with saying things you never would dare to go real life, an example being fif calling Mack a twat, it was a joke but things like that are commonplace on the internet and I do wonder if this does spill over into real life especially for younger posters who read things like that and see it as an acceptable way to behave.

Should we be more responsible in how we interact on forums etc?

But virtue is not rewarded and twattishness is not punished. On forums like this and others you are anonymous and can get away with saying things you never would dare to go real life, an example being fif calling Mack a twat, it was a joke but things like that are commonplace on the internet and I do wonder if this does spill over into real life especially for younger posters who read things like that and see it as an acceptable way to behave.

Should we be more responsible in how we interact on forums etc?

I'm not saying the internet and the behaviour of people on the internet doesn't have an affect on the way people treat each other. I just don't think it can be solely blamed. A society that promotes the extension of selfish teenage behaviour into adulthood and the inability to think beyond the next weekend is where I see the issue. This delaying behaviour impacts directly into society causing disillusionment, depression, and a breakdown in generational communication amongst family, friends, and colleagues.

This however isn't new behaviour, but it's something that has steadily increased due to the number of advertising outlets pumping 'buy me and stay young' into the eyesballs and earholes of supposed grown-ups.

I'm not saying the internet and the behaviour of people on the internet doesn't have an affect on the way people treat each other. I just don't think it can be solely blamed. A society that promotes the extension of selfish teenage behaviour into adulthood and the inability to think beyond the next weekend is where I see the issue. This delaying behaviour impacts directly into society causing disillusionment, depression, and a breakdown in generational communication amongst family, friends, and colleagues.

This however isn't new behaviour, but it's something that has steadily increased due to the number of advertising outlets pumping 'buy me and stay young' into the eyesballs and earholes of supposed grown-ups.

Of course there are definitely other factors, I do just wonder if the way we communicate on the internet is a factor.

Of course there are definitely other factors, I do just wonder if the way we communicate on the internet is a factor.

I'd say there's an element to it, but I'd say as a medium, whilst there are toads out there simply seeking attention from bad or antagonising behaviour and they may well be just as reprehensible in person, there are people who, without the internet would be less open about their lives, their characters, and wouldn't be as quick to be as honest and open in conversation in real life.

For example the racists that post idiocy on twitter or elsewhere, or are simply not very good at hiding their prejudices are just as likely to comment in conversation hints of their small-mindedness in real life if a subject relavant crops up.

Anonymity doesn't always mean that its vehicle for negative behaviour, I've seen plenty of good, supportive, and honest people on the internet who without the anonymous nature, might not have the courage or belief in their ability to communicate with others about things.

So my question is:

I read your post and knew that you needed my help.

Of course the Internet is not responsible for the moral decline of society.

IF there is a decline (and that's a brave thing to say considering the history of humankind) I'm not sure it's moral but I'd put the possible decline that Mack was talking about down to Capitalism. It's an egoist form of economy that promotes self over community. The rise in personal wealth has also led to the break up of families and communities as travel (and travel for jobs) has become so much easier. We care more about ourselves and we do about the health of our community. We (well moose and his brethren in particular) think more of themselves than those less well off. Simply put capitalism is anti-community and therefore has led to a decline in community care and politeness (or morals if you wish).

A thought briefly crossed my mind the other day for the first time... Why not university?

Currently I am 24 and working 15hrs a day in the week and 8hrs a day at weekends. 1) in a full time sales job and 2) Working for myself as a self-employed personal trainer. (My social life is non-exist any at the minute, I've even given up my season ticket)

My main passion is clearly fitness and was thinking that a Sport Science degree will probably help me out a bit as I get a bit older. But my question is...

How the hell do you go to Uni?

My GCSEs were okay, (Bs and Cs) but during my A-Levels I lost interest and already had a job lined up so kind of fell off the wagons bit (Ds and Es). I have heard of this UCAS thing but have no idea what it is and the Uni I would want to go to is Loughborough - its 20mins up the M1 and the sporting capitial of this fine country.

Any help from anywhere would be appreciated.