Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

54 minutes ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

Didn't realise it was such a git to get an instructor. I passed 20+ years ago and with my line of work I sometimes didn't get home until around 7-9 pm but my instructor used to cover them hours. They just dont want it anymore 😂 

It seems that now, they expect pupils to take an hour off work. At least, that's what a driving instructor acquaintance told me she did.

54 minutes ago, marbles said:

Forgive the ignorance, but it may be different here in the US

Are you not allowed to provide the driving instructions?

For my daughter, she had to do classroom time but I taught her the actual driving - I didn’t want to, but she put it off so long that the school I paid would no longer take her driving.

All I had to do was fill out a form at the DPS (driver license place) attesting to the fact that I spent x number of hours driving with her.

Yes we can but I've got no patience 😂 also I have so many bad habits. I think as long as you have been driving more than 3 years, over the age of 21 and obviously have insurance you can put some L plates on your car and teach but I like my car the shape it's in. I did take the wife out once before she passed and that was the last time. Never again. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

Yes we can but I've got no patience 😂 also I have so many bad habits. I think as long as you have been driving more than 3 years, over the age of 21 and obviously have insurance you can put some L plates on your car and teach but I like my car the shape it's in. I did take the wife out once before she passed and that was the last time. Never again. 

Completely understandable

When I took my daughter out, first it was an abandoned parking lot.  Then when I thought she was ready for streets, we did it late at night to avoid other care for her to run into :)

• Like 1

Anyone using an iMac? 
This one is relatively old, a 2019 27” 64gb 5k model.

Takes about 5 minutes to boot, is that normal? 
Once running, it’s fine and runs my Adobe software brilliantly. 
My PC takes less than a minute to boot by comparison. 

Who/What decides whether a sports person is British or, say, English? (Or Scottish/Welsh, etc). 

On tv, Lewis Hamilton has a little union flag graphic next to his name, but Tommy Fleetwood has a little cross of St George. 

Same with snooker/darts/tennis/boxing, etc. 

Some are classed as representing Great Britain, and some as the devolved countries. 

Any ideas? 

13 minutes ago, Milo said:

Who/What decides whether a sports person is British or, say, English? (Or Scottish/Welsh, etc). 

On tv, Lewis Hamilton has a little union flag graphic next to his name, but Tommy Fleetwood has a little cross of St George. 

Some are classed as representing Great Britain, and some as the devolved countries. 

Any ideas? 

I think it depends on the individual sporting authority for each sport and which rules they've chosen for such things.

How they make those distinctions within each sport... well, on that I have no idea.

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I think it depends on the individual sporting authority for each sport and which rules they've chosen for such things.

How they make those distinctions within each sport... well, on that I have no idea.

Maybe they just ask?

Which flag would you like?

Edited by marbles

4 hours ago, Milo said:

Any ideas? 

According to a post yesterday, you simply need to check if they eat the same food as you, share all your values, like the same TV programmes, and know how to queue.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Daggers said:

According to a post yesterday, you simply need to check if they eat the same food as you, share all your values, like the same TV programmes, and know how to queue.

And if they don’t…they’re Welsh?

Cancelled flight today due to first of all the widespread IT problem then a technical fault on the plane - anyone had any luck claiming compo, or any tips - looks like £350pp on flight distance more than 1,500km. 

5 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Cancelled flight today due to first of all the widespread IT problem then a technical fault on the plane - anyone had any luck claiming compo, or any tips - looks like £350pp on flight distance more than 1,500km. 

Compensation would be unlikely as airlines will argue today's events are out  of their control. 

• Like 1

If it was cancelled a second time due to a technical fault, it's the delay from that time to the time you actually travelled, I think. 

We had a flight cancelled, actually it was cancelled 3 times over 3 days, and I followed the resolver process on MoneySavingExpert.com.

7 hours ago, Otis said:

Compensation would be unlikely as airlines will argue today's events are out  of their control. 

30 mins of the delay was due to the IT issues, remainder was due to a technical fault (38C at the airport yesterday which affected a heat sensor) the captain said it was cancelled due to that as not safe to take off 

Will I ever become a morning person?

Given the choice, I wouldn't wake up until at least 8:30am and I'd be in bed until at least 9:30am.

The lay in I get probably once every 2-3 months (a weekend where my son is sleeping over at his grandparents) is the highlight of the day.

Since I was a teenager my parents have told me this would change when I was older. I'm 31 now, and it still hasn't.

1 hour ago, DennisNedry said:

Given the choice, I wouldn't wake up until at least 8:30am and I'd be in bed until at least 9:30am.

The lay in I get probably once every 2-3 months (a weekend where my son is sleeping over at his grandparents) is the highlight of the day.

Since I was a teenager my parents have told me this would change when I was older. I'm 31 now, and it still hasn't.

You don’t become a morning person you have to force it. I get up at 5 out of choice but I have to set my alarm and sometimes it can be tough to get out of bed. Feels good doing stuff early though. 

2 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

I've always been a late stayer-upper and long heavy sleeper since I was a teenager. I too thought it would change as I got older but it didn't. I could easily sleep for 10 hours, wake up then go back to sleep again. 

Ultimately it's only been now I'm into my forties (now 46) when it has changed. On weekends now I tend to sleep for 4-5 hours, wake up usually needing the toilet, go and have some breakfast, look on my phone for around an hour, then start feeling my eyelids getting heavy again and go back to bed. 

It's very rare for me to sleep any more than 6 hours in one go. 

• Like 1

I was never a morning person, and wondered the same. I'm 50 now and nothing has changed.

I rarely set an alarm and usually wake up between 8am and 9am, and then it's a good hour and at least 2 coffees before I'm awake.

• Like 1

I hate getting up early and like The Bear, I'm up most nights needing the loo so never get a proper nights kip.

The only way I can function these days is by having a 'cat nap' of between 45 mins-1 hour every afternoon.

I'm lucky that I WFH and can schedule my work around it but if I miss it, I'm wrecked.

If an afternoon Siesta is good enough for the Spanish then it's good enough for me 

• Like 1

I've tried afternoon naps but I always struggle to fall asleep and end up just lying there. If I do eventually drop off then I end up being asleep for 3 hours, which makes me feel very groggy and even worse for the rest of the day. 

15 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I've tried afternoon naps but I always struggle to fall asleep and end up just lying there. If I do eventually drop off then I end up being asleep for 3 hours, which makes me feel very groggy and even worse for the rest of the day. 

Yeah, I have to set an alarm for an hour for an afternoon nap. I usually drop off straight away and sometimes wake up after 40-45 mins, but if I sleep in the day for more than an hour then I can't get to sleep later than night.

I yearn for the nights when I could just sleep through 8 hours straight like normal people.

• Like 1