Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Contact Loughborough directly and ask for a meeting to speak with someone.

I think it'll be difficult to get into Loughborough with those grades but the personal touch and talking about your experience and desire may help.

Good Luck.

Cheers

Also I have a few word that I have heard bandied about that I don't understand. If somebody would be kind enough to explain

Foundation Degree

Undergraduate

Post Graduate

Two-One

As you can see I have always been a 'worker' since the day I left school (actually I took a full time no on during exam leave so technically it was before I left school). So really do have no idea at all about Uni - not a great start really is it!

Edited by blue-army-andy

A thought briefly crossed my mind the other day for the first time... Why not university?

Currently I am 24 and working 15hrs a day in the week and 8hrs a day at weekends. 1) in a full time sales job and 2) Working for myself as a self-employed personal trainer. (My social life is non-exist any at the minute, I've even given up my season ticket)

My main passion is clearly fitness and was thinking that a Sport Science degree will probably help me out a bit as I get a bit older. But my question is...

How the hell do you go to Uni?

My GCSEs were okay, (Bs and Cs) but during my A-Levels I lost interest and already had a job lined up so kind of fell off the wagons bit (Ds and Es). I have heard of this UCAS thing but have no idea what it is and the Uni I would want to go to is Loughborough - its 20mins up the M1 and the sporting capitial of this fine country.

Any help from anywhere would be appreciated.

I applied in January, got an offer and I'm starting in September.

What you need to do is get a UCAS account (register). Use the website to apply for a course (can pick up to 5). But you also need a reference (thankfully I only left college last year so I was able to speak to my college tutor) and then you complete the application. There is a deadline, this year it was January, so be sure to meet that. Then wait for any replies.

I got rejected by Sheffield Hallam (not too bothered as it wasn't my main choice), but got offers from three universities. I accepted Manchester Met's offer, so I'm starting in September. Just got offered my accommodation on Friday, which I've paid for to secure.

It is easy applying, it's just the reference bit where you may stall.

Edit: I'll add that I did poor at school (only got 3 subjects above a C) but turned it around because I pushed myself at college and got a AAA at A-Level. I think that's what got me in.

Edited by Fox92

Just saw the ad at the bottom. A steamy weekend in Louborough.

Do they do Open University in the subject you want? Or book for outside course there?

I have literally no idea what any of that means.

I've given up on the idea now anyway the entry requirements are three As at A-Level so fvck it I'll just do as I've always done and work my bollocks off to getti where I want - what's a few letters after my name anyway? Nothing - at least I'll have years of experience and there is always further learning with fitness qualifications anyway.

Cheers

Also I have a few word that I have heard bandied about that I don't understand. If somebody would be kind enough to explain

Foundation Degree

Undergraduate

Post Graduate

Two-One

As you can see I have always been a 'worker' since the day I left school (actually I took a full time no on during exam leave so technically it was before I left school). So really do have no idea at all about Uni - not a great start really is it!

You'd do a foundation degree to get into Uni if your A levels or equivalent were not good enough.

An undergraduate degree is what you study for once you get into Uni.

A postgraduate someone who takes on further study at Uni once they have completed their undergraduate degree. Idoes normally either a Masters or a PhD but it can also be a professional qualification like a PGCE - a teaching qualification

A 2:1 is a classification of a degree. It is the second highest classification with a 1st being the best. It then follows 2:2, 3rd, Pass and fail.

Edited by FoxyPV

A thought briefly crossed my mind the other day for the first time... Why not university?

Currently I am 24 and working 15hrs a day in the week and 8hrs a day at weekends. 1) in a full time sales job and 2) Working for myself as a self-employed personal trainer. (My social life is non-exist any at the minute, I've even given up my season ticket)

My main passion is clearly fitness and was thinking that a Sport Science degree will probably help me out a bit as I get a bit older. But my question is...

How the hell do you go to Uni?

My GCSEs were okay, (Bs and Cs) but during my A-Levels I lost interest and already had a job lined up so kind of fell off the wagons bit (Ds and Es). I have heard of this UCAS thing but have no idea what it is and the Uni I would want to go to is Loughborough - its 20mins up the M1 and the sporting capitial of this fine country.

Any help from anywhere would be appreciated.

My advise would be have a think about what you are lacking at the moment, clearly you know a lot about fitness and have had the gumption to set something up yourself (how's it going at the moment?) so maybe what you lack is not necessarily anything you would gain from a sports science degree, do you think it would make you better at training people with kettleballs? Or do you want to expand into other things?

Unless you specifically want to become something like a physio or a sports therapist, then it may not be worth the time and money.

What it may be worth doing is a course in business/entrepreneurship, that may help give you the knowledge you need to turn your passion into a full time job, I am sure there would be plenty of part time courses which you could look into, or even just buy a few books on the matter.

For example part of my degree involved making a business plan as you would if you were going to the bank for a small business loan, how to do the figures, how to make it look professional, what they are looking for, projections, margins etc it really would be quite useful if I ever want to apply for a small business loan.

I've given up on the idea now anyway the entry requirements are three As at A-Level so fvck it I'll just do as I've always done and work my bollocks off to getti where I want - what's a few letters after my name anyway? Nothing - at least I'll have years of experience and there is always further learning with fitness qualifications anyway.

Don't give up! My course asked for GCSE's at 'C' in Maths, but I haven't got it.

I'm trying to find the name of a song from the 80's,had a similar kind of video to Take On Me by A-ha and had a sample of someone saying "Free Uncle Eric",a bit random but can anyone help?

I'm trying to find the name of a song from the 80's,had a similar kind of video to Take On Me by A-ha and had a sample of someone saying "Free Uncle Eric",a bit random but can anyone help?

?

Many thanks to everybody's input to the Loughborough Uni questions - I do quite like the idea of going into physiotherapy in addition to the PT - that way I would be an all round product and I would imagine that over time the Physio would overtake the PT as the primary source of income. I'll keep my eye out, maybe next year (sept 2013)

That said, you can do Sports Massage courses without going to uni and that is the first steps down the right road I suppose.

The business is doing 'okay' - not quite where I had predicted myself to be at this point and as I said earlier I have had to go back to my old sales job to get a bit of cash coming in. My daily routine looks like this.

WEEKDAYS

4:30am - Get up and ready, travel to gym/clients house

5:30 - 8:30 either train myself (marathon training) or client sessions

8:30 - 5:30 Work at sales job

6:00 - 9:00 Back at gym either training myself or clients (opposit of morning)

9:45 - home, plan client sessions, prepare food for tomorrow

WEEKENDS (sat and sun)

6:00 - get up and ready, travel to gym

7:00 - train

9:00 - 5:00 client sessions and gym shift

Home for a few hours chilling

Yes - I'm unashamed to say I'm not really practicing what I preach as I only sleep about 4-5 hours a night in the week BUT hopefully this will soon stop as my plan for world fitness domination continues.

I won't be retiring to Monte Carlo any time soon though, that said the Kettlebell class part of the business is doing very well for itself, it had paid for itself within three weeks and has a very high profit margin too. Not only that but I have picked up a few clients for PT off the back of it and as cheesy as it sounds, all of the people coming to do it absolutely love it and are genuinely getting fitter for it.

The best part of my job is seeing the childlike look of joy on an adults face when they achieve something they thought impossible two weeks ago.

My nephew is involved in some sort of fitness class. He calls it spin lessons which is some sort of martial arts to music. He is on Facebook quite a bit messaging about it. I don't know if any of his class would be interested in private training sessions. I could mention on his timeline that I know a personal trainer for anyone interested.

My nephew is involved in some sort of fitness class. He calls it spin lessons which is some sort of martial arts to music. He is on Facebook quite a bit messaging about it. I don't know if any of his class would be interested in private training sessions. I could mention on his timeline that I know a personal trainer for anyone interested.

That would be brilliant, cheers Nighty! I'm not on facebook however I am on twitter; @LeicesterPT and my website is www.leicestershirepersonaltraining.co.uk if any of his class would like to get in contact.

(apologies for the shameless plug!)

I'll pass the website on. Just posted but put no details just to say I know somebody that does private training.

https://www.facebook.com/keith.duddle

Plug OK. I hope he doesn't think I'm poaching members of his class. But his take place at a community centre and are fun exercise. Think he is into the exercise keeping fit thing so whether you could give him tips I don't know. Don't know his qualificatiions. Think they use exercise bikes too. Why they are called spins I have no idea.

Edited by Nightguard

nope... Parents are

But parents can't control their child everyday, parents probably think that it would be ok for a child to be a part of a Leicester City forum, but some topics discussed and some language and images used on here are very adult, and not always very pleasant. There are some young impressionable minds on here, and it could be argued they are being exposed to things they shouldn't be.

What makes the internet great is the complete lack of any sort of regulation, except self regulation by the board mods etc, it is not just forums, youtube comments are another example, where people are given free reign to tell people, they hope they die, I just wonder if all this exposure to profanity and aggressiveness is damaging to a young mind, take the example given by Mack of some guy on a plane telling the parents of a 16 year old, he was going to take her to the toilets and do her. it just sounds like the sort of comment you would make in jest on a forum but not in the real world.

Obviously parents take some responsibility, as do teachers the media and society in general, I'm just wondering if interacting on the internet also contributes.

But parents can't control their child everyday, parents probably think that it would be ok for a child to be a part of a Leicester City forum, but some topics discussed and some language and images used on here are very adult, and not always very pleasant. There are some young impressionable minds on here, and it could be argued they are being exposed to things they shouldn't be.

What makes the internet great is the complete lack of any sort of regulation, except self regulation by the board mods etc, it is not just forums, youtube comments are another example, where people are given free reign to tell people, they hope they die, I just wonder if all this exposure to profanity and aggressiveness is damaging to a young mind, take the example given by Mack of some guy on a plane telling the parents of a 16 year old, he was going to take her to the toilets and do her. it just sounds like the sort of comment you would make in jest on a forum but not in the real world.

Obviously parents take some responsibility, as do teachers the media and society in general, I'm just wondering if interacting on the internet also contributes.

When i was young they told me that TV was ruining the young, when my parents were young it was the Beatles...before them it was elvis. Correct parenting involves teaching your children how to deal with society, teaching them what is and isnt appropriate. The stuff people read here and on other sites is no different to what they hear and see in the playground.

Having said that, no parents can do a perfect job, you do the best you can and most importantly kids learn from their parents... if they are little cvnts....what are mum and dad like?

I'll pass the website on. Just posted but put no details just to say I know somebody that does private training.

https://www.facebook.com/keith.duddle

Plug OK. I hope he doesn't think I'm poaching members of his class. But his take place at a community centre and are fun exercise. Think he is into the exercise keeping fit thing so whether you could give him tips I don't know. Don't know his qualificatiions. Think they use exercise bikes too. Why they are called spins I have no idea.

Nice one thanks, spin classes are on bikes that are more similar to real life outdoor bikes than your bog-standard gym bike.

Good for cardio (heart & lungs) exercise and can be VERY difficult at times! They are a fun class both to teach and participate in!